Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:11 PM

200 posts, read 1,022,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Are you actually insinuating that the kids in Hawaii have nothing better to do with their time than do drugs???? What kind of BS is that?? Nice way to totally misrepresent the keiki over here. Yea, there's a drug problem here, like there is all over. I was out paddling the other day, nice south swell surf break here in Kihei, kids all over the place boogie boarding, body surfing, having a great time. I even gave a few kids a try on my racing kayak off Kamaole 3, don't try to tell me, or anyone else, that the kids have nothing else to do. I rarely get PO'd, but you just struck a nerve.
You may see young folks out at the cove or the kam's but there are many, many more who are hooked on drugs/alcohol here than who are enjoying the outdoors that Maui offers. Believe me, I would love to take your position but having 2 kids in middle school here I have seen first hand too many cases of kids that are neglected and turn to drugs and alcohol.

I agree that it is up to the parents to raise their kids and keep them away from these influences BUT that is the trouble on Maui. Sooooo many "parents" could care less what their kids are doing as long as they come home at the end of the night, no one cares. I have personally seen kids that my children know out just cruising in the middle of the night with no supervision. Yes, Maui is "laid back" but to sit back and let your kids just do whatever they want and trust that nothing will happen to them because you live in Maui is just plain ignorance.

Too many people move here and just let go of everything. They think nothing will ever happen here. Wake up people! Maui is not immune to crime and to simply let you kids roam free is just plain stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 11:40 AM

820 posts, read 3,037,808 times
To people who haven't lived all their lives on Maui, it can seem like there is more to do than to the people who grew up here. I moved here, but in talking with my neighbors who grew up here, and have kids of their own, the things that thrill newcomers are not as thrilling to them anymore. You have to think like someone who has been around it all their life...would you go to the same park every weekend where you grew up? For a while, but then you want something else, a change.

Ocean - Often local families can't afford their own kayaks or scuba gear or boats. Swimming in the ocean is fun, but many just don't do that every weekend. Fishing is OK, but again once in a while. Boogie boarding is more fun for lots of kids. Surfing takes more money and you have to get the board to the beach. If you are a kid you don't drive.

Hiking & biking - Not so much biking available on Maui. You can bike on the busy main roads to get somewhere, but there aren't big quiet bike trails like on the mainland. Most of the roads have rough shoulders and very little room for bikes. It's dangerous on the curvy roads, especially with lots of drivers who are driving the roads for the first time and very distracted (the visitors). Hiking also - it looks all open space, but most of the land is owned by someone. Hiking up on Haleakala is interesting to those who like high, hot, dusty hikes. Again, getting there is hard if you are a kid.

Parks, skate parks, basketball, volleyball, tennis - Some kids are into the sports, some can't afford the equipment, and many do hang out in parks. But of course there is the exposure to drugs too.

Martial arts, theatre, music lessons - all great, if you have the cash.

Organized sports - LOTS of kids there, and often in parks that are a walk away.

Just holoholo - Hang out, ride around, wander. Remember, small island. You've seen it all many, many, MANY times. Of course kids get bored.

Just recently the Maui Bus has gone into full operation and is expanding. It is offering a way for kids (and adults) to get around that just didn't exist before. Now they can get upcountry to hike, or across the island, or into town for $1.00 each way. But the bus doesn't take surf boards. It will take bikes, now if there was just somewhere to ride safely...

It is absolutely always up to the parents to guide their children and to be involved in activities. But for SOME, the reality is that they don't (didn't?) have access to the activities or else have already done many of them.

By no means am I saying that all kids here are bored. But hey, kids in general at a certain age are all dramatic and bored... or think they are. Can you imagine if your world was much smaller in size, with less after school programs, with less spending money, and no transportation (until recently)?

Old 08-14-2008, 07:44 AM

60 posts, read 175,145 times
I might be moving to maui soon. I know the cost of living it high what can I expect for a apt (just me and my 9lbs dog)? And how would I get my car there???

Old 08-14-2008, 07:54 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,900,413 times
Unless you have access to the printed version of the Maui News, CraigsList is probably the best place to research apartment rents. (Watch out for any deal that sounds too good to be true -- there are scams.) The newspaper's online classifieds don't seem to be the same as those in print, sorry. Rents vary depending upon the size of the unit, amenities included, and the location (town, proximity to beach, etc.) One bedrooms seem to start around $1,000, but they go much, much higher, too.

Having a pet limits your options more, but several allow them. You are aware of Hawaii's rather strict rules for bringing pets to the islands, I hope, and have made arrangements to meet all the criteria to avoid quarantine. If not, search this forum -- there is lots of info and there are links to the Dept of Ag rules.

Similarly, there's good info in past posts about car shipping options. Just use the pull-down Search menu at the top of this thread's page. Depending upon where you start from, you can drive it to a cargo port or have it shipped overland to a port. Most shipping companies require that it be completely empty -- NOTHING inside. You make your reservation, the car disappears, then reappears some weeks later in Kahului at our port. You drive it home. Most companies have online tracking so you can see when it will arrive in Honolulu, and when in Maui. (They all go to Honolulu first, then each island's freight is consolidated there.) There are some variables in the shippers' methods and amenities, but there's lots of recent info in the forum.

Pomaika'i (good luck) and e komo mai (welcome).

Last edited by whynot?; 08-14-2008 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: Added information

Old 08-15-2008, 07:08 PM

15 posts, read 89,404 times
Earthquakes and hurricanes are not problems.

Kids having enough to do is not a problem - although drugs are a big factor (just like any populous place).

Nobody answered your first question.

If education is important to you DO NOT LIVE IN HAWAII. If you want them to grow up boogie boarding, surfing and having fun - it's the perfect place for your family.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:54 AM

6 posts, read 26,941 times
Can anyone give me a review about living at Kihei Shores ? Is this a "good " area ? or higher crime ? Is Kihei as noisy as Waikiki is ? Planning to move there in a few weeks and need to know more than I can google......... how about vog effects there ? pests a problem ? help !

Old 07-01-2013, 06:04 PM

90 posts, read 296,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Are you actually insinuating that the kids in Hawaii have nothing better to do with their time than do drugs???? What kind of BS is that?? Nice way to totally misrepresent the keiki over here. Yea, there's a drug problem here, like there is all over. I was out paddling the other day, nice south swell surf break here in Kihei, kids all over the place boogie boarding, body surfing, having a great time. I even gave a few kids a try on my racing kayak off Kamaole 3, don't try to tell me, or anyone else, that the kids have nothing else to do. I rarely get PO'd, but you just struck a nerve.
Insinuating? No, that's exactly what I said because it's true. You really think that none of those kids you saw in the ocean did or do drugs? Open up your eyes.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Better late than never I suppose - Jungjohann getting a response to his post nearly 5 years later.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:18 PM

90 posts, read 296,942 times
lmao I never read the post dates on this forum. My bad.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 PM

6,386 posts, read 4,847,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerlene View Post
lmao I never read the post dates on this forum. My bad.
Where have you been for the last five years? (Coma? Prison? Biosphere II?) Will you come back in another five years to check on JJ's response? Will I come back to find out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui