Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 06:47 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,421 times

Advertisements

Hitchhiking is kind of common and (I think) only quasi-legal. Pretty much, you just stand on the side of the road going in the direction you're headed. Unless you're in a crosswalk, people pretty much know you want a ride. They pull over, you say where you want to go. (Size them up -- there ARE weirdos.) They will either take you the part of the way they're going or they may take you to your destination. But do be careful -- there ARE weirdos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 07:02 PM

20 posts, read 86,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaches84 View Post
Interesting...hitch hiking ...i've heard quit a bit about this mode of transportation in hawaii, but have never actually done this. I'm sure some of you are going to laugh at me for asking but...how does one actually hitch hike? Do you just stand on the side of the road? with a sign? How does the person driving know where you want to go? As you can tell, I'm quit new at this. And, what's the probability of getting kidknapped in Maui ? Depending on the percent, I might be willing to take the risk

Also, what do you mean when you say dress like the locals? How do the locals dress (females in their mid-20s in particular). Perhaps I need to go shopping to prepare for my hitchhiking adventures

This is how you do it

Old 12-12-2008, 07:06 PM

Seriously though, if you really need it, for some reason eHow.com has a guide for the would-be hitchhiker.

Have you considered renting a motorcycle or scooter? I know it's not ideal, but better than taxis, yes?

Last edited by Think!; 12-12-2008 at 07:30 PM..

Old 12-12-2008, 08:21 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,836 times
Are you pulling our legs? I just logged into the Budget car rental site, and got pretty far with a reservation... no notice that they are sold out.

AVIS handles at least 600 cars a day, and there are several agencies here.

I think you need to try your search again.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:47 AM

35 posts, read 174,517 times
Calico, that is very odd indeed. No, definitely not pulling anyone's leg here. I've tried all the online places at least several times. Just checked avis and budget again. I wonder if I should search outside OGG location. Maybe type in zip code for Kihei or other areas. Which dates were you able to get cars for? Actually, I think I'm just going to call like someone else suggested...that'll get things cleared up once and for all

Old 12-13-2008, 12:13 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,421 times
The price of taxis on Maui is quite shocking, I think, for cross-island travel. They raised the rates a couple of years ago, and restructured the fare system. The rate hike was long-overdue, but when they changed the structure, longer trips became ridiculously expensive. A taxi from OGG to our house in Kaanapali is now over $80 on the meter, not including tip. (No Pali traffic. No Lahaina backup. Reasonable red light waits.) In-town trips are not nearly so bad -- we can take a taxi from our house to Kapalua airport for about $10, which is cheaper than parking if you're gone for more than two days.

If you rent a car in Kihei (or elsewhere) and are arriving at OGG, the taxi ride could be $50. SpeediShuttle might be a better option; it's a mini-bus that stops at the airport and resorts (several car rental offices are located within resort hotels). SpeediShuttle- Hawaii transportation services, Maui airport shuttles, Oahu airport shuttles, Big Island airport shuttles, Kauai airport shuttles

Have you tried Executive? They're off-airport, but have a free shuttle from OGG to their office on Hana Hwy.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:07 PM

Try Kayak

This sample search is for two weeks worth of rental, and there are several options.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:28 PM

35 posts, read 174,517 times
Thanks a bunch, Think !! I may not need to hitchhike after all

Old 12-13-2008, 06:01 PM

156 posts, read 805,905 times
Car Rental http://www.carrentals.com shows whole bunch of cars for rent too.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:15 AM

54 posts, read 195,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaches84 View Post
Thanks a bunch, Think !! I may not need to hitchhike after all
If you have a Sam's Club membership (or something like that) you should check their travel section. I booked a vehicle for about $20/day with National. Granted my reservation is for Feb and you might not get that rate for your travel dates, but worth looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui