Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:40 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,886 times

Advertisements

Just to be a fly in the ointment (devil's advocate?), I would note that we brought a LOT of stuff with us - furniture, tools, books, clothing, kitchenware - and we are not sorry. In fact, we sometimes curse ourselves for not bringing something (we also got rid of two dumpsters full, had about 7 yard sales, book sales, "free sales", gave bags and bags to the Salvation Army, etc.).

And we do not consider ourselves "material" people - we don't have the latest/greatest/most expensive, we hardly ever buy new clothes (and when we do it's often from a thrift shop), we don't "collect" anything, we have few 'knick knacks'. The stuff we are missing is tools, materials (like sheets of plexiglass, copper tubing, nuts/bolts, stuff like that), books, stuff like paper cutters, hole punches, etc.

I say, if it's useful and fits in a container, bring it. Probably the cheapest shipping, pound-for-pound, you'll find for anything bigger than a USPS flat-rate box. And you'll want to conserve your cash for things you HAVE to pay for, like rent, food, etc. Heck, we brought canned goods on the container and they saved us a lot of money on food the first few months.

But w/r/t furniture, it helps if you know where you'll be living. Map it out and make sure there's room for each piece of furniture. I did that, and brought two additional small pieces (an antique 'student desk' and a small marble-topped table on a sewing machine treadle base), and those two pieces are driving me nuts - there's no place for them. I like them and want to keep them, but ??? Now that we've cleaned off the lanai we have a place for the desk, but that table is just annoying. Still, as soon as I get rid of it I know I'm going to want it for something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 01:30 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,836 times
Nice post, as usual, Sweetbeet.

We brought too much, but also think that moving your stuff over is worthwhile. Especially anything heavy, like tools, ceramic pots, specialty supplies. You can buy some here, but some things you will have to mail order, and then you pay high shipping costs to replace it.

Sweetbeat - that sewing machine table would make a nice little sink. You can put a bowl basin on top, drill the marble for the plumbing. It might be a bit short, but I'll bet it would look great.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:20 PM

18,401 posts, read 19,027,378 times
a lot of what we keep with us from move to move is just junk stuff. we used once in a blue moon. the question, I think really is, how much junk do I need and what junk will I use enough to pay for bring it all the away over here. furniture and pictures a good portion of the time don't fit right in a new place. the sofa that was perfect once is now a touch too small, or the wrong color. the great painting is too big to go on any wall here in the small studio.
part of a new place is new stuff. wanna bring a toss pillow? why, is baffling for me. bring your essentials, store the rest if you just can't part with it. ship it over later. we stored a ton of stuff, still have a ton of stuff in storage a decade later. the only thing worth anything in storage that I miss are my family photos. the rest of it from tools, to side tables I can replace here with things much more interesting than what I have, for less than what it costs to ship it.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 PM

70 posts, read 288,050 times
Default what shipping company

aloha

dood i apologize for not understanding

1. do you want one company to
a pack all your goods in wherever you are
b unpack your goods in maui
c ship goods to maui only '
d do everything you want .. when you want to including holidays
e do you want insurance on the transit
f how big of a truck will you require
g approx how many pounds will be shipped
h will you need any additional boxes ..tape etc
i when i have all that infomation i will be able to give you a choice of 3 companies that will be able to carry out your mission ..

without you giving this forum the correct knowlewdge we as i speak only myself cant give you a factual answer to your requirements and needs ..

btw if you need all of this done is less than one week ...i know this for a fact .. all prices go up in proportion to the cargo space on one of many airplanes ..

if you wish airplane ...i will definately need the cubic size of your container
and the approz weight in either pounds or kilo ...

if by a slim chance you underestimate any and all sizes and weight you will be billed before any shipping occurs ...

cash and credit cards will be accepted but i will assume checks will not be accepted for air travel fyi..

if you have any further ideas or requests that you have or special needs to be met ..please reply so those needs can be analized and i can then make appropiate phone calls to

find out the best company for you

mr viscious its been a pleasure trying to help a new mauian ..

if you need car arrangements let me know

dogs and pets too ...

both cars and animals have special needs let me know ..

if you need help is loans or housing ..i will be happy to help

just be very sure all requirements are specific so as not to cause you any grief
in your future travels ..

i am sure you have booked airfair ...

mahalo for serving your questions

xstonedrocker

Old 04-15-2010, 09:23 PM

91 posts, read 419,759 times
stonedrocker,

Thanks for the help. We finally found a reasonable mover!

See you on the island...

-V

Old 04-16-2010, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,296 times
V - who did you decide on. We are moving to the Kona area mid July & I am soooo lost. lol I have been searching the boards looking for helpful info & looking for reasonable movers also. Would love to know what you found.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:55 PM

91 posts, read 419,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajokase View Post
V - who did you decide on. We are moving to the Kona area mid July & I am soooo lost. lol I have been searching the boards looking for helpful info & looking for reasonable movers also. Would love to know what you found.
We are using:

American Pacific Moving: Hawaii Movers; Alaska Movers; Over 50 years (AK and HI)

-V
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui