Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:40 PM

91 posts, read 419,851 times

Advertisements

What is the best moving company to use for a mainland to Hawaii (Maui) move?

I've read some past threads, and they all seem to go on tangents about other things besides the actual moving companies themselves.

I've contacted Allied and United Vanlines and they are quoting something ridiculous (like more than 12K) for our small 1-BR apartment.

So which company would you recommend and how much did you spend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 11:17 PM

18,409 posts, read 19,045,166 times
leave it all behind, sell it and buy new here.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:30 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,519,697 times
Seriously. The vast majority of the furniture that you have simply won't be any good here. It will rot, fall apart or be termite bait. Sell it and buy new when you get here. Same with your clothing.
Send via USPS flat rate shipping box, UPS or FedEX Ground (although they raised the mainland to Hawaii pricing a while back) or use a "ReloCube".

Old 04-05-2010, 01:12 AM

70 posts, read 288,099 times
Default a little love for 12 k

aloha

you cant be serious ..

have a garage sale over a few weeks and what you dont sell donate ...

if you have personal really personal stuff ..

for 1000 bucs i will fly over and be your own personal assistant for one day ...

2000 bucs if you need help on 2nd day ...

otherwise put it in a few boxes and have ..you have choices ..upss ups dhx or fed ex

and in a week or so ..its here

just saved you 1200000 bucs ...

you are not moving to outer mongolia ..no offense to those peeps btw ..

your post almost made my day ...being in ocean was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better

xstonedrocker

ps you sure have funny posts ..

Old 04-05-2010, 02:07 AM

155 posts, read 516,545 times
ABF Upack has small cubes like the pods and they were only like 4-6K when I asked for a quote. But when I move, I will sell or store most of my stuff. I have a lot of Ikea stuff which is high grade PB but I know it would not last in Hawaii's humid environment.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:33 AM

201 posts, read 823,518 times
Ikea will do fine in HAwaii depending how you live - I know plenty of military families who live on Ikea and have lived many yrs in the islands with it. If it can stand the humidity of the southeast (and it does!), it can sure stand the much lower humidity of Hawaii.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:40 AM

91 posts, read 419,851 times
Ok, let's say I *don't* want to sell all of my stuff... what is the best shipping company?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:48 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,682,760 times
Most people have recommended either Matson or Pasha. We haven't made the move yet, but friends have been satisfied with both.

Cost for us on Matson for a 20-foot container from Denver to South area of Big Island is going to be close to $8,000. Plus we plan to pay someone to pack the container for us on this end (some friends of ours recently paid $1,200). We also plan to pay our local friends to help us unload at the other end.

Does that help?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:13 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,405,865 times
I used Royal Hawaiian Movers and was pleased with their service. They contract with a local (to you) company to pack everything. Just watch the movers all the ones I have seen seem to have a strong aversion to actually doing their job properly.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:41 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,258 times
I just moved to Hilo and used Horizon. I hired a few guys to load the container and when the container arrived I hired 3 more guys and they unloaded the big box.

Now the the meat of what people are saying "sell, give away, donate , leave all your stuff except some personal things" There not wrong! I brought to much stuff over but as I have stated a few times being married for 26 years we started a tradition of giving anniversary gifts of desks, dinning room sets , bedroom sets..ect. ect. hard to part with. We started with only taking the things that meant alot to us once we did that we figured out what it would fit in and found out we were getting a container. but it was half full so we started adding things that we knew we would re purchase after we were settled. Justify this $2,000 BBQ shipped for free not sold for $500 or less repurchase 0 savings $2,000.

It works out but I will still warn you to clean house or you will have garage sales out here and throw away stuff.

Good luck and Grats on coming to Hawaii
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui