Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,426 times

Advertisements

-Hello All-

I recently experienced a rattling noise issue with my 2007 Mazda 3i. Whenever I drove, particularly on rugged roads, I would hear a rattling noise from the rear. At first, I thought it was something to do with the spare tire being loose. It is enclosed under the floor board in the trunk and would totally make a clunking sound if it were loose. So, I checked that and it was as tight and secure as Fort Knox. Next, I checked the jack that is secured in a small compartment on the driver side of the trunk. That, too, was very secure.

I was completely baffled as to what could be making this obnoxious rattling sound from the trunk area. Can anyone take a gander as to what it was?

I turned to the internet for some advice. I came across some dedicated Mazda 3 forums and some other owners were experiencing some similar rattling issues. Some of the things that were suggested were to check the rear suspension. So I went under my car and checked some things out on the rear suspension. Everything seemed to be good. Nothing was leaking around the shocks/struts. Everything was secure. Then I came across the sway bar. The driver side link where it is attached to the control arm was perfectly secure and immobile. On the other hand, the passenger side link was loose. I could wiggle it with my hand with little effort. And what do you know, it make a clunking sound when I did this. I verified with my brother, who is a mechanic's apprentice, and we agreed that I should have that checked out with a local mechanic (I live out of state).

I took it in to my local mechanic and explained to him what I was experiencing and what I thought might be the issue. So they took it out for a drive to listen for the sound and checked it out for me. Sure enough, it was the loose sway bar link that was causing all that ruckus. They were able to tighten it up for me and voila, the sound was gone!

I hope this will be helpful to those who may also be experiencing a similar rattling issue from the rear of their car. Even if you don't drive a Mazda 3i, this should apply to all platforms. Best of luck!

Here is a picture of the sway bar link that was loose.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/387828_10101056665475733_2239834_67485954_18073233 48_n.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 10:49 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,883 times
I've been wondering where that noise in my '07 Mazda 3 was coming from! I'm going to look into the sway bar issue. Thank you so much!!

It's a fun little car, btw. I love mine. I've got the hatchback.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I've been wondering where that noise in my '07 Mazda 3 was coming from! I'm going to look into the sway bar issue. Thank you so much!!

It's a fun little car, btw. I love mine. I've got the hatchback.
Glad to help, Eastern Roamer. Little noises like that irritate the heck out of me, so I did a lot of research on the issue and it seems like it's a relatively common issue. Fortunately, if it is the sway bar, it's not an expensive fix. You can do it yourself if you have the tools. I do not, so I took it in to my local shop and they charged me about $60 for the diagnostics and repair. Best of luck!

Old 12-08-2011, 11:58 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
Glad you found it but you could have saved yourself $60 by just tightening it yourself since you knew it was loose. Invest in some tools, money well spent.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Glad you found it but you could have saved yourself $60 by just tightening it yourself since you knew it was loose. Invest in some tools, money well spent.
I have some basic tools, but the nut was rusted on to the bolt to a point that I did not have the ability to tighten it myself while lying down on the garage floor with a foot and a half of clearance. Trust me, I tried. Besides, I wanted to make sure that WAS the source of the noise and that it wasn't something more serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda