Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:36 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,130,341 times

Advertisements

It's also important to note that those power figures are estimates based on output in other Mazda vehicles with the 2.0 Skyactive engine that are already on the market. Mazda's PR materials for the new Miata states that it will get its own version of this 2.0 which means that power figured could be different. Even at current estimates given that they reduced weight a good bit and improved torque over the outgoing Miata, I don't think many folks will complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 10:39 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,594,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Different strokes for different folks. The same power/weight ratio should give the same feeling of power for those who only want that feeling, my personal preference is the better cornering/braking at no extra charge on the light end of the scale.
Along with the weight reductions I think a perfect target for HP would be 180-185hp for a car of its weight and size. Going backwards just doesnt make much sense in my opinion despite the weight deduction. Although the masses found the previous miatas a blast to drive, many also complained about a lack of hp.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:39 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,490,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Like Colin Chapman of Lotus used to say.. "simplicate and add lightness."
The resemblance of an original Miata to an old (Mrs. Peel vintage) Elan coincidence?

I think not!

Old 10-02-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Along with the weight reductions I think a perfect target for HP would be 180-185hp for a car of its weight and size. Going backwards just doesnt make much sense in my opinion despite the weight deduction. Although the masses found the previous miatas a blast to drive, many also complained about a lack of hp.
180-185 would be nice but like everything else there's always trade offs.

No doubt Mazda would like to give us as many HP as possible in the Miata from an engine they can share with other models without sacrificing reliability and/or incurring large model specific development/manufacturing costs. I think they do a pretty good job with an affordable mass market car. And there are many aftermarket power boosting options for those so inclined.

Years ago I had a Fiat 124 Spider and now have a Miata, I'd say the Miata is everything the Spider should have been, especially for us gray beards who don't enjoy lying under vehicles wrench in hand as much as we used to.

Last edited by burdell; 10-02-2014 at 10:57 AM..

Old 10-02-2014, 11:11 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,177,459 times
Quote:
The resemblance of an original Miata to an old (Mrs. Peel vintage) Elan coincidence?

I think not!
It's hard to overstate what a pleasure it is having something like the Miata/MX-5 available. This used to be the domain of niche English makers with terrible electrical gremlins and mechanical fussiness.. you would have to tune the carb once a week, couldn't get parts, pretty much had to own another car or you would never be able to hold down a steady job. Now we have a reliable, affordable sports car that you can drive every day and not have to cross your fingers.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
It's hard to overstate what a pleasure it is having something like the Miata/MX-5 available. This used to be the domain of niche English makers with terrible electrical gremlins and mechanical fussiness.. you would have to tune the carb once a week, couldn't get parts, pretty much had to own another car or you would never be able to hold down a steady job. Now we have a reliable, affordable sports car that you can drive every day and not have to cross your fingers.
I couldn't agree more. And we have the added benefit of clean garage floors

Old 10-02-2014, 11:22 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,840,620 times
Quote:
It's not necessarily power, it's power per pound. My personal choice is lightness, maybe not the best DD but I believe for many it's a second car and more toy than DD. My dream would be an affordable Lotus Super Seven, make those lumbering SUVs into quickly receding mirror images on a 150HP.
Yes, but don't forget wind resistance (not just inertia) starts to play a big roll at higher speeds.

I owned an NB for a 6 years or so, but I much prefer the heavier more powerful vehicles I now own. They pass with ease even when the other guys speed up (which happens most of the time).

I now get my thrills legally on my 230lb, 70hp dirt bike (usually log about 9 hours a week). Public roads are no place to be playing boy racer IMHO... and there are better choices for the track than the Miata.

Those lotus super seven / caterham are pretty sweet. They feature in LFS racing simulator

Old 10-02-2014, 11:31 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,828,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
The thing is, how many people are actually buying this car to take it to the track or on a twisty road on a sunday?

The majority of Miata buyers want a fun DD or wknd car. Many wont even push it to its handling limits but many would like to have more power for the open road.
It sounds like you want the Miata to be something it's not. If you want some more power for the open road then you should be looking at a Z4, TTS or SLK. Of course, with more power comes a higher price tag.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:38 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,594,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
It sounds like you want the Miata to be something it's not. If you want some more power for the open road then you should be looking at a Z4, TTS or SLK. Of course, with more power comes a higher price tag.
Its not as if I'm asking for 300+hp like someone else here did. There should be no reason why its hp figures arent on par with that of the 2.0 in the FRS/BRZ.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Yes, but don't forget wind resistance (not just inertia) starts to play a big roll at higher speeds.

I owned an NB for a 6 years or so, but I much prefer the heavier more powerful vehicles I now own. They pass with ease even when the other guys speed up (which happens most of the time).

I now get my thrills legally on my 230lb, 70hp dirt bike (usually log about 9 hours a week). Public roads are no place to be playing boy racer IMHO... and there are better choices for the track than the Miata.

Those lotus super seven / caterham are pretty sweet. They feature in LFS racing simulator

I used to see a Renault R5 Turbo around my old home town occasionally, up to about 100 when its barn door aero took over it could outrun many much more powerful cars its day and sound GREAT doing it.

I've had a lot of cheap (if not maybe all that legal) thrills on motorcycles and have pretty much resigned myself to not being able to afford four wheels with similar performance and/or maintenance/repair issues I'm willing to deal with. Wonky knees as well as a lack of places to ride conspire to keep me off dirt bikes.

Sure there are better track cars than Miatas and no doubt better street cars too but I have to give Mazda for the Miata's giggles to $$$ ratio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda