Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:06 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times

Advertisements

I was on the way to work today and the interstate was just locked up. Decided to take the highway. Locked up. Can't win.

But, while sitting in traffic not moving at all, I noticed that when I pushed in the clutch to put the car in first so I could scoot up that very important 2 and a half inches, there was no resistance except for the last couple inches. I had a major panic attack - heart pounding away in my throat. But the car went in gear fine and I was able to take it back out of gear with no issue.

When I was finally able to actually drive, it was the same. Only the last inch of the clutch had any resistance. But once I was driving and shifting gears it was fine all the sudden. Normal resistance the second I pushed it all the way to the floor. Figured, ok something weird went on from just idling, but it's fixed itself, life is grand.

Then trying to get back on the interstate, stuck at a light, go to creep those valuable inches and it did the same thing again. Resistance only in the last inch or so. But again, back on the highway leading to the interstate switching between gears it was normal.

Then I started worrying it might have something to do with first gear, but as I got to the parking garage noticed it wasn't doing it. It seems like the only time I have a problem is when I"m stuck in traffic just not moving. As long as I'm moving - even slowing and speeding right back up - I have no problem.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 04:32 PM

660 posts, read 1,652,566 times
It sounds to me as if you have a clutch slave cylinder on it's way out.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:39 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
JRTurner hit the nail on the head. When you shift only occassionally, like in heavy traffic it's very noticeable that you're not holding hydraulic pressure. Once you're moving, and snapping through the gears you're pumping the master cylinder enough to build and hold pressure.

If you're not sure of the procedure on this car I (hesitate to send anyone to another site) can heartily recommend "miata dot net". The how to bits on there can walk anyone through simple (and this is a simple) repairs.

Good luck. I much prefer the M1 (89-93) over the newer ones. Barn doors and all.

golfgod

Old 05-26-2010, 04:51 PM

Not knowing anything about Mazdas in general, I don't know if there are rebuild kits available for those slave cylinders or if you just have to buy a whole new unit. They are easy to replace and the hardest part of it (not really hard buy time consuming) would be bleeding it after it's installed.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:28 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
I agree the slave is weak, but if you can't get it fixed right away pronto like, change the brake fluid that runs the system. The fluid in part is at fault, and boiling in the excess heat. After some cooling takes place the bubbles are reforming to be fluid.

Bubbles like air can be compressed, a liquid can not.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:52 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Agree, this is *probably* the slave, certainly check the fluid level in the master.

My MG-B gave me the same symptoms and it came to me with a new slave cylinder, it was the master cylinder.

Don't put off the fix, it's a cheap easy fix now. If you let it fail completely, you may need a tow, and you can damage the trans shifting if the clutch does not disengage fully.

On some designs, it's better to bleed the slave cylinder after connecting it hydraulically but *before* bolting it up to the transmission/bellhousing.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:51 PM

I don't believe clutch hydraulics get hot (even in stop and go traffic) like overheated brake calipers can do and create air bubbles.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:33 AM

Thanks everyone. Been on MDN since I bought the car GG. I posted there too. Same answer. Just didn't know who to go to when looking for the answer quick.

Today it seems fine. Last night driving home it was fine. So was it just a warning to get something done now?

MDN people are trying to help me through fixing it myself. The idea when I bought the car was so I'd have something simple and basic that I could learn on. I've done little stuff - replacing headlights and taillights, greasing the gears in the window tracks, etc, but nothing big like this. My little heart is racing like crazy!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:22 AM

It is something that one should expect with a '93 if it's not been done before.

The problem is that it will progressively get worse and possibly could let go all at once.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:27 AM

Ok, thanks. Today it gets parked then, until it's fixed. I will miss it. I hate driving that big bus. *sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda