Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:18 PM

165 posts, read 548,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheist View Post
yes yes...people in Memphis define upscale in a very very strange way, and certainly use a lower standard than many many others who may have moved from other cities known for much better food...

Memphis is not known nationally for great, inspired cuisine....period.

None of the aforementioned I would consider upscale at ALL given my own experience and tastes.........and certainly no way would I put Ciao Bella in that classification IMHO....no way.

Even affluent cities (allegedly) such as The City of Germantown, or the City of Collierville do NOT offer a choice of truly upscale establishments in which to dine.....which I find exceedingly stupid, given the Memphis "pretense" on 'being on the move'....in dining, there is no evidence of that where the majority of the population currently lives, or to where the population is MOVING......but again, there are people that like eating the garbage at places like TJ Mulligans, J Alexander's or Houston's
That's exactly what I was saying...these places aren't "upscale," but they are really good. I would consider Ciao Bella on the cusp of upscale (cause I'm not solely looking at price) for no other reason than they have really good food. Just like Bari...good food, nice atmosphere. Paying a lot doesn't make it good all the time.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:12 PM

201 posts, read 636,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug35 View Post
That's exactly what I was saying...these places aren't "upscale," but they are really good. I would consider Ciao Bella on the cusp of upscale (cause I'm not solely looking at price) for no other reason than they have really good food. Just like Bari...good food, nice atmosphere. Paying a lot doesn't make it good all the time.

I think that's correct...just look at a place named Equestria Restaurant and Lounge....good location (well sort of...it is flanked by a freight train track), nice 'presence'.....marginal food....lousy service....high prices.....inferior quality

but the same location...years ago, housed a fantastic restaurant named Swiss Manor, which the chef I think was from Switzerland, he produced an inspired, innovative product at a higher price point.....but most Memphians helped to run it in the ground as well, which Memphians tend to do over the longer run....they stiffle creativity, or simply reject new tastes/preparation (e.g Wally Joe)..

Similarly, even a private establishment of which I had a membership, got absolutely screwed in the ground...The Crescent Club.....great location, initially better than average service, and innovative food........even the chef who moved to Memphis to accept the new role, became frustrated with the lack of exposure/understanding/dynamics with local patrons, and finally decided to leave Memphis to its own devise (according to what he explained to me)....I felt sorry for the man, being 'sold' something about Memphis culinary tastes that was simply untrue en masse...

ditto, the owner of Anthony's, a really really sharp knowledgeable resident of Lebanese background...he and his wife finally said screw it...and closed the place...

ditto with the Sciara family...longtime smart restaurant owners....go ask the highly trained/chef sons what happened to their innovative and fresh restaurant....they will tell you similar things....

but cheapazz Mexican, pubgrub (Huey's type garbage), Brinker, Darden Group (read Red Lobster, Olive Garden-yuk, Bahama Breeze, Longhorn, etc etc) cater to Memphis' tastebuds.....these people rule the landscape in Memphis.......not to mention some really really nasty local Chinese establishments..

of course there is always great fare served up by the likes of PF CHANG !!!

yeah buddy...oh joy...jes gimme another pok sammiche

Old 08-17-2010, 05:13 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,052 times
Quote:
I
of course there is always great fare served up by the likes of PF CHANG !!!

yeah buddy...oh joy...jes gimme another pok sammiche
What did you think of Jarrett's, now gone? It was one of my favorites.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
What did you think of Jarrett's, now gone? It was one of my favorites.

well, first I'm, biased..I know Jeff and his wife...good folks

I never had a bad meal at Jarrett's and spent thousands of dollars there over time...very good ingredients, innovative, good service

Much later then, the bar area started getting populated with a bunch of loud rednecky types...really...the bar tender he hired had a longtime 'following' from a dumbazz Mexican joint she worked in for years and years, and help damage the ambiance of the whole place...and ceased being an upscale sort of bar area...

then for whatever reason, the waitstaff began getting overrun with Midtown man-hating types with their own obvious sexually-charged agenda, which turned off many of the local professionals who spent tons of money there.....their attitudes also help to ruin the flavor of the place..

Rick had a good solid run...good for him and his family

Rick shared with me many of the frustrations that he experienced in exposing so-called enlightened Memphians to enjoy new approaches...for instance, all of the fresh fish he offered up......he told me one night one patron asked him : "How come yall don't have sum fried fish or sum catfish on the menu ?"

******really, you can't make this stuff up

on balance, Jarrett's was a breath of fresh air in a city with really two or three half-way decent upscale places serving quality fare

Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
well, first I'm, biased..I know Jeff and his wife...good folks

I never had a bad meal at Jarrett's and spent thousands of dollars there over time...very good ingredients, innovative, good service

"How come yall don't have sum fried fish or sum catfish on the menu ?"

******really, you can't make this stuff up

on balance, Jarrett's was a breath of fresh air in a city with really two or three half-way decent upscale places serving quality fare
Fried fish, yeah, that's Memphis for you.

Yeah, I miss it a lot. The last time I went I treated some family and friends to celebrate my divorce. I'll put the Jarrett's Platter up against any appetizer, anywhere. I picked up a nice tap as we drank plenty of Boarding Pass Shiraz and Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc. Their cheesecake was outstanding, like everything else.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:40 PM

8 posts, read 19,409 times
As mentioned, EJ's is probably your best bet for real upscale. I've never eaten at Chez Phillipe, but as far as I know, it's the only coat-and-tie kind of place in the city. Almost everything else is really casual fine with decent, but not excellent food. Memphis is best known for it's excellent working class food, not it's upscale joints. There is definitely a sort of renaissance of quality going on at the "low-end" with Trolley Stop, Cafe Eclectic, etc, which I'm hoping will bubble up to the higher end of the market.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphkotm View Post
As mentioned, EJ's is probably your best bet for real upscale. I've never eaten at Chez Phillipe, but as far as I know, it's the only coat-and-tie kind of place in the city. Almost everything else is really casual fine with decent, but not excellent food. Memphis is best known for it's excellent working class food, not it's upscale joints. There is definitely a sort of renaissance of quality going on at the "low-end" with Trolley Stop, Cafe Eclectic, etc, which I'm hoping will bubble up to the higher end of the market.

yeah EJ's is always mentioned as something out of this world...lol...mybe it is unusual for memphis, but it's NOT that special when compared to a boatload of other cities....plus, people don't 'frequent' EJ's at ALL.....most people seem to regard this dumb, expensive place as some sort of 'special treat', for a special 'occasion', not the sort of place they would go to once, twice of three times per month, as many upscale diners look to do in a host of other cities......lol

other diners look to a local, super spot to frequent becuase they serve truly upscale food if that's what they seek........Memphians don't seem to regard EJ's that way AT ALL...........they seem to think it's some big freekin deal....ditto Chez Phillipe....lol

EJ's tried to open another upscale bistro , doing upscale, not fine dining food....it was named "EJ's Brasserrie".....WELL, MEMPHIS RAN THAT INTO THE GROUND AS WELL.....LOL

Didn't last....why ? Memphis/Cordova didn't support upscale dining !

Most people didn't realize that when Wally Joe opened his restaurant, he never ever had french fries on his menu.....nor a burger......that was not his focus or genre......he got criticized by the locals for not having french fries on the menu, and not having a kids' menu ! LOL LOL LOL

then he put a 20 dollar gourmet burger on the menu

still got criticized and under supported...

then closed the restaurant...

that's Memphis for you....

and you probably know a similar story about Cafe Max

Old 08-19-2010, 11:58 AM

8 posts, read 19,409 times
I don't think any southern city of Memphis' size has a clientele seeking sophisticated, fresh food. Hell, you see the same thing in Rust Belt cities. It's not yet a part of their DNA. However, the reaction to cheaper, more approachable quality food has been very positive, and I think slow progress will be made to bring this type of mentality to the higher end of the spectrum. You have to remember where Memphis is situated. The south is behind the curve on almost everything.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphkotm View Post
I don't think any southern city of Memphis' size has a clientele seeking sophisticated, fresh food. Hell, you see the same thing in Rust Belt cities. It's not yet a part of their DNA. However, the reaction to cheaper, more approachable quality food has been very positive, and I think slow progress will be made to bring this type of mentality to the higher end of the spectrum. You have to remember where Memphis is situated. The south is behind the curve on almost everything.

wrong...forget exact populations however

I've had and have better food in suburban Birmingham,,,,specifically Homewood, 5 Points, Vestavia Hills, Mountain Brook...ALL day long

I've had better food in Jacksonville...much better

Been to Tampa lately ?? good food choices...Orlando/Lake Mary

New Orleans.....all day long

Suburban St. Louis

Smaller cities such as Mrytle Beach, SC
Hilton Head, Virginia beach, Charleston

Ever go to Naples ?? Sarasota ?...outstanding offerings/variety
La Jolla/Del Mar CA ?

Man, there are TONS of cities with fresh innovative food !!

How about Austin, TX ?

No, the real deal is that Memphis is no-way competitive in offering up decent upscale food......and that's the truth

Old 08-20-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Ever go to Naples ??
You can even get your Ribs fix at Michelbob's in Naples. Tulip fed hogs and fall off the bone tender ribs. Be prepared for a wait, though. I used to stop there on the way to Key West. One of the worst meals and service I ever got in KW was at Crabby Dick's on Duvall. I knew better, I had been warned, but it was just steps away from our B&B and we were tired. Worse than mediocre, Avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis