Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:31 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,052 times

Advertisements

For our out-of-town guests and curious lurkers, how 'bout we compile a list of our favorite restaurants in the Memphis area?

Let's start with some basic categories -- Perhaps Asian, Mexican, BBQ, Italian. Add whatever other categories you can think of.

I'll start. And since I'm on the lower end of the economic ladder, my choices will reflect that.

Asian -- I'm a sucker for Sekisui, be it downtown on Union or on Germantown Pkwy. I know it's a semi-chain, but I haven't been able to find a better crunchy crab roll in town. I'm still looking.

Mexican -- I like La Hacienda. Honestly, though, I haven't explored the Mexican food choices in the area. A friend tells me the selection leaves much to be desired. Any suggestions?

BBQ -- Since the only bbq I eat regularly is at Leonard's downtown, I'll go with that. I'll keep my secret love for Tops to myself. Have you noticed how no one will admit to liking Tops, yet all of the locations I ever go by are always packed?

Italian -- I'm hooked on Coletta's.

My favorite downtown restaurant is the Arcade. The food is not that great, but the atmosphere is cool.

And in spite of living in the 'burbs, I don't have a favorite Applebee's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 11:45 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,375,420 times
Asian -- Sekisui hands down. Not the Union one though, that's the worst. Any of the others are good. Humphreys Center is pretty, Midtown has a more neighborhood feel, I think Cordova has some of the most choices. South and Collierville feel too much like you're eating in a strip mall (which you are doing) Do in midtown is very good too, but extremely small and compact. Edo is some of the most authentic, although a little shady looking.

Mexican -- I like La Hacienda as well. Cafe Ole and Molly's in midtown are good (not great) but the atmosphere makes up for it. More neighborhoody and "drinks after work" type of places. I think El Porton is good too. Honestly it all tastes pretty much the same to me....although I think if Memphis had an all-out authentic, upper scale mexican place, I'd be able to tell the difference.

BBQ -- I like Tops!!! The burgers though, not the BBQ I'm not a BBQ person, but I like the atmosphere of Central and BBQ Shop.

Italian -- Dino's or Fino's. They rhyme, but are totally different restaurants.

My favorite downtown restaurant: hard one. Arcade IS good, okay food but again...the atmosphere. There are a ton of good restaurants downtown. Spindini, Sawaddii, Hueys, Automatic Slim's, Flying Fish, King's Palace, South Philly....etc etc. All good for their own reasons, not necessarily because they are places you'd take people on a high class romantic dinner.

I'd rather just go hungry than eat at an Applebee's

As for others....Bonefish is good, although it's a chain. At least it's an upscale chain!
Memphis Pizza Cafe is about the best pizza you can find here, although that's not saying much. I'd love to hear other ideas on that one...
Bayou for Cajun maybe?
Bhan Thai for...thai.
Blue Plate Cafe for breakfast any time of the day.

Memphis is one of those cities where you don't have to spend an arm and leg to get good food. Of course, we also don't have the 5-star options that other cities boast. So you can get great food for a reasonable price almost anywhere.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:19 PM

232 posts, read 795,925 times
Off the top of my head:

Sushi: Sekisui and Yume on Hwy 64
Mexican: La Hacienda and El Patron in Bartlett. Also, Mi Tierra has delicious Columbian food.
Italian: Cafe Toscana, Ronnie Grisanti's, and Pete and Sam's
Asian: Ryu's on Summer, and laugh all you want, but I really like Yum's. And they have great cheeseburger subs, too.
Pizza: Memphis Pizza Cafe and Stevi B's
BBQ: Interstate and Central. For bbq on the go, I'll grab Tops, but I don't prefer it. Also, Rendezvous has a cool atmosphere and is great for out of towners, but the bbq is VERY mediocre.
Misc: RP Tracks by the university, Huey's in midtown, and Arcade on S. Main are all dee-licious!

Last edited by defiepilex; 07-05-2007 at 12:36 PM..

Old 07-05-2007, 12:42 PM

201 posts, read 1,070,596 times
Sushi: Don't eat it but I like Sekisui's habachi grill at Humphrey's.

Mexican: El Porton & Molly's

Italian: Amerigo's, Ronnie Grisanti's, Pete and Sam's and (don't laugh) Olive Garden. I actually like the food at Olive Garden and it is consistent and cheap.

Asian: Wangs and PF Changs (another chain but I like it)

Pizza: Memphis Pizza Cafe (I also loved Z's Pizza but it closed)

BBQ: Germantown Commissary for bbq nachos and Rendezvous for dry rub ribs.

Downtown: Cafe 61. I also love going to The Peabody for Sunday brunch.

Overall favorite Memphis restaurant: Half Shell. I love just about everything on the menu.

Others:

Hamburgers: Dyers or Huey's

Steak: Bonefish Grill

Old 07-05-2007, 12:55 PM

Oooo Wang's. Duh. They are the best chinese!

Old 07-05-2007, 01:09 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,052 times
I have never been to Wang's.

pomartini mentioned The Olive Garden, which is a favorite of my dad's. For chain Italian, I like Carraba's.

I've never been to a PF Chang's, but I do like it's lower-cost little sister, Pei Wei. I actually like(d) Mosa, but I got sick after eating there on two different occasions.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:16 PM

232 posts, read 795,925 times
Ooooooh yeah, I love Pei Wei! Never been to PF Chang's.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:26 PM

PF Chang's tastes like Pei Wei but just with more options.
Wang's is great....the only lunch buffet I have ever been to where I don't feel like a cow at feed time.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:28 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,079 times
Chinese -- Asian Palace. Nothing else is really even close. And it isn't that MSG Americanized crap.

Fried chicken -- Gus's

Old 07-05-2007, 07:32 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I have never been to Wang's.

pomartini mentioned The Olive Garden, which is a favorite of my dad's. For chain Italian, I like Carraba's.

I've never been to a PF Chang's, but I do like it's lower-cost little sister, Pei Wei. I actually like(d) Mosa, but I got sick after eating there on two different occasions.

Ugh, I can't understand how Pei Wei can be popular. Blech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis