Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:54 PM

12 posts, read 55,751 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I want to move to Memphis and I’m currently in the Teach Memphis pool..,just hoping to get an interview in the future. I figured it would be a good idea to come down and see the city (since I’m in Ohio). My plan is to look at apartments in case I am offered a position. I’ve heard good things about Mud Island. Any thoughts? Is this a pretty safe location? I just plan on renting.
Also, has anyone worked as a substitute teacher for Memphis City Schools? If I don’t get an interview this year, I thought it might be a good idea to work as a sub and get in the system. Any thoughts? My main concern is that I’m not familiar with the city. I don’t want to get lost on my way to subbing. Also, I need to get called close to every day in order to pay my billsJ I’m assuming since it is a large district there is probably a need for substitutes. Hopefully I get a job offer though and can skip subbing..we’ll see.

Any suggestions as to what parts of Memphis are good places to live?

We’re planning on staying near Beale Street when we visit. I’ve heard that is a fun part of Memphis. Any other parts of Memphis that are a must see?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 08:26 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,930 times
In response to your questions about Memphis, I will say this. It is what you make it. There are parts of Memphis proper and the suburban areas that are great. They are lovely, clean, have good schools and are very safe. However, there are definitely parts of town that should be avoided at all cost. These areas are crime ridden, blighted, and trashy. You can tell the difference as you drive through. Mud Island is a great area with lots of young professionals. That would be a great area for a young, new resident of Memphis with its proximity to downtown and midtown. Depending on where you are placed as far as the school, you may also want to check out East Memphis and some of the inner suburbs (Bartlett and Germantown).

Old 08-13-2010, 07:02 PM

Hello. I think I will go ahead and look at Mud Island then. I figure if I'm placed at a school that isn't very close to Mud Island...I can always relocate after the lease is up. I'm fine with working at any school, but I want to feel safe where I live. Hopefully there will be some job opportunities throughout the school year. Looking forward to seeing Memphis..the warmer weather will be nice too.

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2010, 06:26 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
You may regret that "warmer weather" comment once you get here

Old 08-14-2010, 09:15 AM

232 posts, read 988,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
You may regret that "warmer weather" comment once you get here
Agree!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:25 AM

That's funny. I think as long as I have central air it'll be alright...I really hate winter I'm assuming there are some schools that won't have air conditioning. That will take some getting used to...

Old 08-14-2010, 10:40 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
I wish I had your attitude on it. 120 degree heat index is not fun. Almost every house/business I've been in lately has been hot indoors, it's impossible for A/C units to keep up with this. Luckily I think it's supposed to pour rain for a week straight and get back down to the 90's soon!

Old 08-14-2010, 12:43 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
About the schools, I think several years ago there was a big push to get AC into all the schools, and I believe I read somewhere they did finally accomplish that goal. One less thing to worry about.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:28 PM

I might think differently once I get there and experience the heat for myself. I think a calmer winter will make up for the summer heat though. Glad to hear the schools have AC Hopefully you do get some rain and it cools down...

Old 08-23-2010, 01:10 AM

15 posts, read 56,804 times
Teaching at a Memphis City School will turn you from a moderate liberal into a staunch conservative.

At least that is what happened to a friend of mine. He wasn't racist but he now is after teaching at Central High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis