Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 11:33 AM

27 posts, read 162,135 times

Advertisements

I moved out of Memphis to come to SW Florida 7 months ago.
I always knocked the city while I was there, but now that I am gone, I miss it dearly. I miss the giant oak trees in Midtown. I miss the excellent dining and drinking options in Cooper-Young. I miss cheap rent in awesome houses that are 100 years old. I miss having seasons. I miss driving down North, South, and East Parkway through the canopy of huge trees lined with equally as old and huge houses. I miss the great shows that the Hi-Tone brought to town. I miss Bosco's delicious beer. I miss the trolley tour. I miss listening to house music downtown on Main St. I even miss the usual bums that hang around Midtown. I can't believe I can't remember the one with the jerry curl that hung around the Circle K at Poplar and Tucker. He would dance up a storm for some change. I'm talking about James Brown dancing. The old rasta man that had a tree growing out of his backpack. The best and cheapest apartments in town is Park Terrace at 1899 Poplar. They were built in the late 1800's I believe. ....just beautiful architecture, and they are right across from Overton Park and the Memphis Zoo.
I am trying not to make the same mistake here in Ft. Myers as I did there. What a crummy feeling to not realize you loved the city you lived in until after you've left!
To all those looking to move there...just stick to the right part of town and you won't be sorry.
To all those that are looking to leave...good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 12:09 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,339,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantana View Post
I moved out of Memphis to come to SW Florida 7 months ago.
I always knocked the city while I was there, but now that I am gone, I miss it dearly. I miss the giant oak trees in Midtown. I miss the excellent dining and drinking options in Cooper-Young. I miss cheap rent in awesome houses that are 100 years old. I miss having seasons. I miss driving down North, South, and East Parkway through the canopy of huge trees lined with equally as old and huge houses. I miss the great shows that the Hi-Tone brought to town. I miss Bosco's delicious beer. I miss the trolley tour. I miss listening to house music downtown on Main St. I even miss the usual bums that hang around Midtown. I can't believe I can't remember the one with the jerry curl that hung around the Circle K at Poplar and Tucker. He would dance up a storm for some change. I'm talking about James Brown dancing. The old rasta man that had a tree growing out of his backpack. The best and cheapest apartments in town is Park Terrace at 1899 Poplar. They were built in the late 1800's I believe. ....just beautiful architecture, and they are right across from Overton Park and the Memphis Zoo.
I am trying not to make the same mistake here in Ft. Myers as I did there. What a crummy feeling to not realize you loved the city you lived in until after you've left!
To all those looking to move there...just stick to the right part of town and you won't be sorry.
To all those that are looking to leave...good luck!
Try to stay positive and learn from the past! And you're always welcome to return!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:04 PM

209 posts, read 812,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantana View Post
The old rasta man that had a tree growing out of his backpack.
Totally just saw this guy last week!! I had to do a triple take! Anyway, sorry you're not diggin' Ft. Meyers. Hope you find your niche there soon.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 AM

27 posts, read 162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fittoac View Post
Totally just saw this guy last week!! I had to do a triple take! Anyway, sorry you're not diggin' Ft. Meyers. Hope you find your niche there soon.
Thanks!
I'm digging Ft. Myers ok. I just miss Memphis.
I'm coming home in December for a visit though! I can't wait to feel cool air again. It's still in the mid 80's here.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:22 PM

66 posts, read 145,551 times
One man's junk is another man's treasures and so it goes with places to live.

There is no Paradise, no Shangri-La, as with most things a good place to live is what you make of it.

There is good in all of them as there is bad.

And with all Net forums there are trolls.

Just the nature of the beast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: