Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:35 PM

11 posts, read 71,554 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I are considering relocating to the Memphis area next summer. We're originally from Seattle, but have been living on Maui for the past two years.

I'm currently filling out a job application for the Unified School District. I'm an elementary school teacher, and would like to continue that career in Memphis.

On the job application, it asks me to select the regions I'm most interested in teaching in, and gives me the following options: Northeast, Northwest, Southeast, Southwest, and County.

My question: Should I NOT select any of these areas? I have no issue working in low-income areas with disadvantaged students--its practically all I know. But since we're not familiar with the area, I was just curious if anyone had a very strong opinion about staying away from any one of these regions.

Based on what I've read on here, we'll most likely be seeking housing in downtown, midtown, or Germantown.

Thanks for any input!

Kayleen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 05:08 AM

32 posts, read 43,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherkayleen View Post
Hello!

My husband and I are considering relocating to the Memphis area next summer. We're originally from Seattle, but have been living on Maui for the past two years.

I'm currently filling out a job application for the Unified School District. I'm an elementary school teacher, and would like to continue that career in Memphis.

On the job application, it asks me to select the regions I'm most interested in teaching in, and gives me the following options: Northeast, Northwest, Southeast, Southwest, and County.

My question: Should I NOT select any of these areas? I have no issue working in low-income areas with disadvantaged students--its practically all I know. But since we're not familiar with the area, I was just curious if anyone had a very strong opinion about staying away from any one of these regions.

Based on what I've read on here, we'll most likely be seeking housing in downtown, midtown, or Germantown.

Thanks for any input!

Kayleen
They ask you which regions you're most interested in as a formality, but if they decide to hire you, they're going to stick you where ever they need you and want you to go anyway.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 AM

255 posts, read 710,755 times
Hi Kayleen! I would recommend the Northeast and County designations over the other ones. It is definitely true that our school system is in a major state of fluctuation. By next school year, many municipalities outside of the Memphis city limits like Bartlett, Collierville, Germantown, Arlington and others will pull away from the unified district and have their own school systems. These are the school districts that encompass the "County" designation.

There are many local teachers on furlough or "surplus" right now due to massive budget cuts, and while I don't want to discourage you, future employment as a teacher here may be tentative at best. There are excellent schools in the county, and a few in the city where there are outstanding teachers, parents and kids. Redrawing district lines does not change that. But, we do have major challenges organizing this current system.

*Please also beware of posters like the previous one who make broad sweeping negative generalizations about our city. While there are very real difficulties and problems in Memphis, some people only choose to highlight their negative perceptions.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 AM

11 posts, read 71,554 times
Thank you everyone for your replies. I didn't think there would be one region that would be terrifying compared to the others, but I had to check.

I am 26, only been teaching for 2 years. I know I'm young, and therefore still very idealistic about my profession. Do I think I'll be in the classroom forever? Not at all. I know the education system in many areas is falling apart (Maui is a hot mess), but someone has to do it, right?

I've read many of the "drawbacks" about Memphis on here and from other news outlets. Some things concern me, others don't. I'm stoked to experience another culture that is vastly different then growing up in the Pacific Northwest (Maui has been an amazing experience in that respect). My husband is the fattest 120 pound man I know, and he can't wait to eat his way through Memphis.

I look forward to continue the conversation up until we make the decision to move. Thanks again!

Old 09-09-2013, 11:42 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,052,751 times
Salmonista is fron Seattle. You should ask her what she thinks. Also, my neighbor is from Seattle. She 'fell in love' with Memphis. She works in Downtown Memphis and does missions in Sierra Leone. If you want I could put you in touch with her. Yes Memphis has many problems though nothing that cannot be overcome.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:06 PM

255 posts, read 710,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherkayleen View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies. I didn't think there would be one region that would be terrifying compared to the others, but I had to check.

I am 26, only been teaching for 2 years. I know I'm young, and therefore still very idealistic about my profession. Do I think I'll be in the classroom forever? Not at all. I know the education system in many areas is falling apart (Maui is a hot mess), but someone has to do it, right?

I've read many of the "drawbacks" about Memphis on here and from other news outlets. Some things concern me, others don't. I'm stoked to experience another culture that is vastly different then growing up in the Pacific Northwest (Maui has been an amazing experience in that respect). My husband is the fattest 120 pound man I know, and he can't wait to eat his way through Memphis.

I look forward to continue the conversation up until we make the decision to move. Thanks again!
Your positive attitude will take you far! Thank you for being such a dedicated teacher. You are the ones who make the school systems great. My Mom has been an educator in the area schools for years, and I have lived all over the country. As I mentioned, there are major challenges with our school system, but my head is nowhere near stuck in the sand about Memphis. It sounds like you have a similar approach to your move. Yes, the culture and climate is very different, but it is an amazing culture to explore.

In terms of food and music, you can't go wrong with our city. Memphis will satisfy your husband's cravings well!

Old 09-10-2013, 05:56 PM

263 posts, read 614,151 times
Kayleen -- Hopefully, your enthusiasm will be contagious! You're going to be a winner in life...

Last edited by JMT; 09-10-2013 at 06:14 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 07:13 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,190 times
Kayleen,

I've read about a teaching program in Memphis, called the Memphis Teacher Residency. They are also on twitter (@memphistr). From what I've seen on their twitter, there are many teachers that this program is drawing from places around the country. You might want to check their sites out, at least to see how others are adjusting. Most that I've seen share an energy and enthusiasm about teaching and about Memphis.

If you're not part of that group, maybe you can meet with some of your new peers and share experiences, commiserate if and when necessary (hopefully not too often!).

Thanks for your interest in Memphis, and, more importantly, your interest in educating the youth of America! There are many resources available to tap into the positives of Memphis. If you need suggestions, just ask (or message)!

Old 09-10-2013, 08:54 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,401,923 times
Kayleen, thank you for your dedication to the education system. It is people like you that make Memphis (and the world for that matter) a better place.

I have a feeling that wherever you end up, it will be a positive experience for all.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:54 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,765 times
Welcome to Memphis, we need people with your positive attitude! Just remember if you end up in a suburban Shelby County School, and if everything goes well with the Municipal Schools for 2014, you will be applying to a different school system altogether for next fall, I'm not sure if you want to wait a few months, but if you do, it might get you in the ground level of a brand-new system in Germantown, Collierville, Lakeland, Bartlett or Arlington. If you're dedicated to teaching in inner city schools, and thank God for those who are, then you are good to go with "Shelby County Schools" as they are today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis