Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:36 PM

209 posts, read 460,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmford87 View Post
Hey guys - I'm so glad I found this site. Here's my situation:

My wife just got accepted into the grad program at the University of Memphis. This means that in the next two months we're going to have to find jobs and a place to live. We currently live in New Orleans. We want to rent at least for the first year or so until we get to know the area. A lot of the rentals I've found that are in our price range (around 1k monthly) are in the Bartlett area. I've read that this is a pretty nice area - safe and not too bad of a drive to the university (we're used to an hour drive to school here so 20-30 min would be great). The area that has the most houses for rent is around Birkenhead St. How is this area?

Also, I have a B.A. in Graphic Design with a minor in Computer Science. I currently work in automotive sales, but have quite a bit of experience as a Computer Technician. I've already looked into opportunities at Fedex, but would greatly appreaciate any suggestions of some large employers in the area. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

FedEx needs a requirement for your certificate and your work experience in logistics industry. You were in Auto Sales industry. Considering a Salesperson or Used Car dealer. Also ,take some classes in Computer science and get a certificate. That's may be better to find a job in FedEx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 06:05 PM

107 posts, read 312,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoskelaofFinland View Post
I was also recently accepted to grad school at U of M. My wife and I have taken a couple trips up to Memphis and found a duplex that we are now happily renting (I guess it's East Buntyn area?).

The area right around campus is super nice and we were pleasantly pleased to be so close. With Central Ave, Southern, and Poplar nearby I don't think you would have problems getting to work if you could find a place near campus (albeit, I've not had to deal with rush hour in these places). From the little bit of driving around that we did, I feel like I can confirm what PearlBob (I apologize if I am miscrediting this) has said on some other threads "Everything in Memphis is about 15 minutes or less from everything else" in a good way.

As far as crime, the rule that has worked for me living in Montgomery, AL is that you can tell the places that you have no business being in and you stay away from them.
I agree with this...you will be able to tell where not to live by driving around. East Buntyn would be convenient; you could check out Normal Station as well. East Memphis would also be a good option... Even if you had to spend a bit more, you'd probably come out ahead if you took into account gas money. Going to UM and living in Bartlett doesn't make sense to me

As far as Berclair goes, I have never lived there, but would check it out

Old 06-17-2011, 12:21 PM

49 posts, read 154,648 times
OP

Berclair has really cute looking older homes and very cheap rents for the most part. There is some road that I cannot recall as of right now which is near a firehouse and it is supposedly a safe area.

W/R/T Bartlett, there are a few apartment complexes and small rental homes to be had there.

Bartlett is lovely but you can get some bang for your buck and a shorter commute over in Berclair.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:49 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,052,751 times
Cooper Young is not far and is in the cooler part of town.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:07 PM

6 posts, read 10,893 times
It used to take me 20 minutes to get the the U of M from Bartlett going down Sam Cooper from I-40 to Highland. (there are some back roads you can take if you get off at Perkins after you get to learn the area that skip the Highland/Poplar intersection) There are plenty of rental homes in this area in your price range as well.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:10 PM

23 posts, read 49,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulubrown View Post
OP

Berclair has really cute looking older homes and very cheap rents for the most part. There is some road that I cannot recall as of right now which is near a firehouse and it is supposedly a safe area.

W/R/T Bartlett, there are a few apartment complexes and small rental homes to be had there.

Bartlett is lovely but you can get some bang for your buck and a shorter commute over in Berclair.
Berclair has some shadier areas, but I actually live on the BEST block in Berclair. It is the section of Durbin between Mendenhall & Bartlett Rd that decorates so big for Christmas. People look out for their neighbors & actually KNOW neighbors' names. My next door neighbor has lived there since '59. We have lived there for 13 years.

There are a few houses for sale in my neighborhood, but some may be for rent. A neighbor 2 doors down just passed & her son may rent the house out if he cannot sell it.

U of M is easy - hop on Sam Cooper from White Station, get off on Graham. 20 minutes on a bad day.

Powell is where the firehouse is - further west than us.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:42 PM

912 posts, read 1,524,759 times
I'd have to recommend you not look at Bartlett unless you particularly enjoy being parked on the interstate in the morning and evenings. I-40 west-bound is a parking lot with lanes in the morning...when I lived out in East Memphis and worked near Wolfchase, I always went in the opposite direction in the morning, and I always felt terrible for the people going the other way.

I have a few friends that live in Berclair and love it, so that may be a thought. I know you have to be careful where in Berclair, but my friends who live there echo the thoughts above, that it's one of the most underrated areas in Memphis.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:10 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
I'd have to recommend you not look at Bartlett unless you particularly enjoy being parked on the interstate in the morning and evenings. I-40 west-bound is a parking lot with lanes in the morning...when I lived out in East Memphis and worked near Wolfchase, I always went in the opposite direction in the morning, and I always felt terrible for the people going the other way.
If you're in Bartlett, there's really no reason to get on the interstate during rush hour. Use Summer or Jackson; both are quick rides to downtown. I lived in Bartlett and worked downtown for a year, and the only time I ever got on the interstate was when I was leaving town.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:08 PM

32 posts, read 118,629 times
Hello,

My wife and I are moving from Miami, FL to Bartlett in the middle of August. We'll be renting for a while at the Quail Ridge Highlands Apartments which is near the golfcourse.
We plan on purchasing a home within 6 months and are considering to purchase in the Tulip Creek subdivision which is located just off of Austin Peay Hwy at Covington Pike (east side). The new home prices are in the $120-$130K range.

Can anyone please let me know if this is a good (safe) area or not?

We are also considering the Rivercrest area which is just northeast off of Austin Peay Hwy and Old Brownsville Rd. The houses are more expensive there ($170K and up) and are larger than what we would need.

The Rivercrest area is a little further north and east from Austin Peay Hwy than the Tulip Creek area and I'm wondering if that area is more desirable since it is further away from Austin Peay Hwy.

Thanks for any replies and comments.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:43 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
My inlaws used to live in the subdivision just south of Tulip Creek.They expressed some concern about crime from the Raleigh - Frayser area eventually moving into the area sometime in the future.Their subdivision was starting to get a little unkempt and neglected looking, a few rentals popped up in the area and I think they just didn't want to take any chances so they moved. The last time I was in the area, maybe four years ago, it didn't seem bad or unsafe.
If you are going to be renting you should be able to spend some time and judge for yourself. If you can manage a visit or two right as school lets out for the day it should give you a pretty good idea of what kinds of families live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis