Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 3,639 times

Advertisements

Thinking about going to U of M for grad school, elementary education? Anyone know how the program is? What's the school and area like for a grad student? I'm coming from OSU, so I want to go to a school that is similar to the big size and diversity. How much is an apt. on average?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 03:28 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
I'm pretty positive that UM could not be more different than OSU. It's an urban school, meaning it's in the middle of the city, very few dorms or on/near campus living, and the majority of people commute in. Lots of night students (adults going back to school).

Housing near campus can be pretty cheap, however you have to keep in mind that UM borders some very unsafe areas of town. Safe housing near campus depends on the area, and of course the condition of the house (most rentals are in houses converted into duplexes, etc). I'm pretty sure you could find housing in just about any price range.

UM borders some bad areas, but it also borders some very expensive areas of town. All residential (not a lot within walking distance, a couple restaurants are near campus, a bar...) If you are new to town and wanted to live somewhere that has things going on, I wouldn't recommend living near UM, you'd end up having to drive a little ways to do anything. My preference would be to live somewhere you like, then commute to campus. That's what just about everyone does

Old 06-22-2011, 04:10 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,316,168 times
The U of M is quite diverse. When I worked on my master's degree there, I met people from all sorts of racial/ethnic, religious, and economic backgrounds. So if you're looking for diversity, it's a good place to look.

It's nowhere near the size of OSU. Last I hard, OSU had around 40,000 students in Columbus; the U of M has around 20,000 on its main campus. (The U of M operates extension programs in several smaller towns in West TN.)

Unless you want to live and work in or around Memphis, I'm sure how beneficial it would be to move here for a program that you can get almost anywhere. However, if you plan to live and work in the Mid-South, the U of M's masters' programs in education tend to be well-regarded. I suspect that they carry little weight outside of our region, though.

Best wishes.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 AM

209 posts, read 460,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp891 View Post
Thinking about going to U of M for grad school, elementary education? Anyone know how the program is? What's the school and area like for a grad student? I'm coming from OSU, so I want to go to a school that is similar to the big size and diversity. How much is an apt. on average?

Man, if you could stay in OSU, do not go to Memphis for graduate. You do not know that OSU reputation in the nation. Great public university, great education resource. It is a great public school in all aspects. Why go Memphis for graduate?

If Vanderbilt, that is a considerable choice.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:11 AM

3 posts, read 3,639 times
thanks everyone....and to 009811, I hear what you're saying. I was looking into other options. I like to boarden my horizons, and see what it's like to live somewhere else. thanks though.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 AM

73 posts, read 228,699 times
ditto

Given a choice, don't choose University of Memphis graduate program over OSU, are you nuts ?

You want to 'broaden your horizons' ?? then don't choose UM...Vanderbilt okay, Univ of Chicago okay, you won't be perceived as increasing your appeal going from OSU to Memphis ! not in the acdemic OR business community......they will ask you why on earth did you choose Memphis, or they will assume you could not get admitted to OSU's own grad program....really, they will

Don't do it friend, there are much better choices ! in the south, the midwest and certainly in the NE....you might be shooting yourself in the foot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis