Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 05:24 AM

597 posts, read 2,109,460 times

Advertisements

Hello Memphis. I visited your city on a day trip yesterday. It was a short visit to just to look around and stimulate my senses a bit while reaching the end of a vacation.

I must say the city is as fascinating as ever. It's eye candy in so many different ways that it's really hard to describe. Just driving around (too hot to get out much) it's easy to see the old gal as nothing short of glorious. The Memphis of the past is very evident in the architecture, the reclamation of the old buildings by residents, the culture born on the Mississippi, the beautiful neighborhoods and wide boulevards, Overton Park and on and on.

Many say Memphis needs to be polished. I'm not so sure about that. It's shiny enough in my opinion. If something gets polished to the point the edginess gets worn, then something special gets destroyed. I loved the the crusty, vintage exuberance I witnessed. I'm coming back soon for a weekend with my camera to try to capture the essence of the special scenes evident all over.

I do wish our two cities would appreciate each other more without the nit-picking that goes on as siblings tend to do. Tennessee is very lucky to have four large cities with distinct personalities. Having two large cities as music capitals and international appeal is very special.

Memphis and Nashville are so very different. In that regard, I wonder why we sometimes feel it necessary to ever try to compare and contrast. Each should be taken for what they are and our people need to realize that each is special, but in different ways. I understand the passion you have for your city and the naysayers should just lighten up and appreciate it more. It seems like no other place.

So, there, said by a true blue Nashvillian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 05:58 AM

469 posts, read 970,880 times
Thanks Dave! Come back and grab some pics of the river at sunset and the architectural features of the old buildings along the South Main Trolley Line for starters. We are glad you were here!

Old 07-29-2011, 07:04 AM

13,356 posts, read 39,979,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
Hello Memphis. I visited your city on a day trip yesterday. It was a short visit to just to look around and stimulate my senses a bit while reaching the end of a vacation.

I must say the city is as fascinating as ever. It's eye candy in so many different ways that it's really hard to describe. Just driving around (too hot to get out much) it's easy to see the old gal as nothing short of glorious. The Memphis of the past is very evident in the architecture, the reclamation of the old buildings by residents, the culture born on the Mississippi, the beautiful neighborhoods and wide boulevards, Overton Park and on and on.

Many say Memphis needs to be polished. I'm not so sure about that. It's shiny enough in my opinion. If something gets polished to the point the edginess gets worn, then something special gets destroyed. I loved the the crusty, vintage exuberance I witnessed. I'm coming back soon for a weekend with my camera to try to capture the essence of the special scenes evident all over.

I do wish our two cities would appreciate each other more without the nit-picking that goes on as siblings tend to do. Tennessee is very lucky to have four large cities with distinct personalities. Having two large cities as music capitals and international appeal is very special.

Memphis and Nashville are so very different. In that regard, I wonder why we sometimes feel it necessary to ever try to compare and contrast. Each should be taken for what they are and our people need to realize that each is special, but in different ways. I understand the passion you have for your city and the naysayers should just lighten up and appreciate it more. It seems like no other place.

So, there, said by a true blue Nashvillian.
I agree completely. The 8 years I spent living in the Memphis area (5 years in Memphis proper) were glorious. I love that city. I could spend all day driving the Parkways and wandering around downtown. I'm glad you had a good trip there, and it's made me want to spend another weekend in Memphis (after the weather cools down, of course).

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-29-2011, 05:57 PM

26 posts, read 72,468 times
The Memphis Nashville rivalry stems from us not having your parthenon art muesuem and ya'll not having our river. (j/k)

Not sure how well you know Memphis, I've lived here forever and continually find new to me neat looking things to point my wimpy little click n shoot digital. (And I've also found some extremely fantastic things in Nashville to shoot, too.) Is there anything particular you're hoping to capture?

Old 08-06-2011, 04:38 PM

33 posts, read 52,147 times
If you come back, be sure to hit up Gus's for some amazing fried chicken, Memphis Pizza Cafe in Midtown for some delicious pizza, or Dino's over off Parkway and McLean for the best and biggest portions of Italian food. Also, if you didn't already, you have to hit up the Metal Museum, Mud Island, walk down South Main, Beale St, Lichterman, Shelby Farms, and the Brooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: