Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,718 times

Advertisements

Hi, so I'll be moving to Memphis is about a month and a half to work at St. Jude (yay!). I'm not so much of a nightlife person (actually I'll go ahead and admit, I'm a homebody). What are some good areas to live? I think I want to go more of the duplex direction rather than apartments. I'm interested in Midtown and farther east but within the 240 border. I've read that some of the streets in Midtown are hit or miss. What are the "good" streets? What are the "bad" streets?

I found two duplexes at:
Buntyn St and Lombardy Ave
S Goodlett St and Spottswood Ave

Any thoughts on these neighborhoods?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 12:38 PM

410 posts, read 804,466 times
Welcome. St Jude is an awesome facility to work and such a great great place for all it does for the children.

Not too sure about Buntyn St, but I believe Lombardy is next to the Pink Palace museum. that's not too bad a location. S. Goodlett is centrally located and Spottswood depending on the address would be near U of Memphis.

I found this online. You might want to give these folks a call: Locations - Midtown Memphis Rentals

There are also some reasonable homes for rent as well and of course many nice townhomes, condos as well as apartments.

Depending on how far away you want to be from work will depend on your location. If you haven't yet, google each place from St. Jude to give you an idea of your drive time.

Others will be here soon enough to offer their thoughts.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:01 PM

331 posts, read 604,296 times
Congrats on a position with St. Jude & welcome to the Mid-South!! If you get a chance to come visit before, that of course would give you a good idea as to what area you feel most comfortable/enjoy the most. If you want to live a little further, Desoto county, MS is growing (10 minutes from downtown) is nice and quiet. Midtown is higher in cost(from what I've heard), but a nice area.
I hope you enjoy Memphis!!

Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,718 times
Thanks! I just found another one at Jefferson Ave and N Rembert St.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:09 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,762,965 times
A lot of U of M students live in the neighborhood where Goodlett and Spottswood is. It's can be a little sketchy, but it's not a bad neighborhood. You just have to use common sense and be aware of your surroundings, like most places in Memphis. It's actually on the better side of the neighborhood. Closer to Highland is where it's more sketchy. You'd be on the quiet side, near a nice park. It's mostly just old folks and students. And you'd have easy access to East Memphis, where there are lots of nice restaurants & stores. It's not a nightlife area, more suburban in feeling

Buntyn & Lombardy is nice too. It's more upscale. I didnt know there were duplexes there. It feels like a nice suburban neighborhood, but you're in the middle of the city.

Jefferson & Rembert. I'm not sure. That area is hit or miss.

Last edited by Smtchll; 05-14-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 05-14-2012, 02:28 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,838,819 times
Germantown, Cordova, Collierville, Bartlett- surburban areas with lots of shopping areas around and neat little chain restuarants. Boring for a young professional if you ask me.

Midtown- Can be gritty and hippy, vintage, but aside from a few sketchy places, overall safe and def where the fun is and it has a nice selection of distinct eateries. If you live near Cooper Young you can actually experience a lot of walk-ability for weekend spots or after work hour spots.

Downtown- I have lived in all areas listed but I must say downtown, specifically the Gayoso/Pembroke square, was my best living experience EVER in Memphis. There is 24 hour security, it is very very safe, all kind of grad students, young professional live there. I mean you could stay at home in the Gayoso, never go out, and seriously make tons of friends and even find a boyfriend or two. Also, you can literally walk out of the front of these apartment and BAM everything and anything that is happenign is right at your fingertips. Nice upscale lounge (Silly Goose), Beale street, Flying Saucer (great hangout for happy hour after work), just soo soo many options and an awesome food selection unique to Memphis.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-16-2012, 03:02 PM

39 posts, read 120,577 times
Downtown, south main....good luck

Old 05-18-2012, 01:31 PM

209 posts, read 460,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbOfMemphisTN View Post
Congrats on a position with St. Jude & welcome to the Mid-South!! If you get a chance to come visit before, that of course would give you a good idea as to what area you feel most comfortable/enjoy the most. If you want to live a little further, Desoto county, MS is growing (10 minutes from downtown) is nice and quiet. Midtown is higher in cost(from what I've heard), but a nice area.
I hope you enjoy Memphis!!

The horrible rush hour traffic between MS and Downtown Memphis.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:40 PM

369 posts, read 1,234,412 times
I know there are quite a few duplexes near the UofM are around Poplar and Highland.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:38 PM

41 posts, read 117,555 times
Congrats on your move! With you being from Austin I imagine you'll enjoy the beautiful tree lined streets, historic homes, and unique character that Memphis hast to offer. I am a homebody as well and I have to say Memphis is the city I've enjoyed and appreciated the most (out of the mere 4 cities I've lived in I should probably add) I miss Memphis a lot. It has a rare beauty I have yet to find in any other American city that I have lived in/visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis