Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:20 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_astro View Post
Who's zooming who here?

My prior research indicates it happened in the Wolf River Harbor near a marina. Additional information says it happened near two pylons for a monorail to Mud Island. Yet, two people on this board say it happened at the northern part of Mud Island on the Mississippi side of the peninsula near where Wolf River flows into it.
You mean the arkansas side? Mississippi is to the south. And where I am talking about is on the Memphis side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Not being from Memphis, I'm not sure its official name. All I know is that it's the channel to the right of Mud Island. It is referred to either as the Wolf River Harbor or the Wolf River Lagoon and is closed out at the north end. I have long believed it to be in this section, which is why I was suprised when two people said it was in a parking lot near boat ramps near where the actual Wolf River flows into the Mississippi. That made no sense to me.

If someone can help narrow it down with more exactitude, I'd be appreciative.
I'll go take pics and show you where he went in. I live a few blocks away.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:53 PM

103 posts, read 463,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
You mean the arkansas side? Mississippi is to the south. And where I am talking about is on the Memphis side.
No. Go here.

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Near the southern tip of Mud Island you'll see lettering that say Wolf River Lagoon. To the right of that is a "marina" extended out into the channel with some boats. Slightly to the bottom left as you're looking at the marina from the south facing north is the I-40 Welcome Center. I believe it was in this parking lot where they parked the Ryder van, and Jeff Buckley walked down to the shore and waded in.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I'll go take pics and show you where he went in. I live a few blocks away.
I'm curious to see how close I am. Thanks.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:52 PM

263 posts, read 613,983 times
Quote:
No. Go here.

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Near the southern tip of Mud Island you'll see lettering that say Wolf River Lagoon. To the right of that is a "marina" extended out into the channel with some boats. Slightly to the bottom left as you're looking at the marina from the south facing north is the I-40 Welcome Center. I believe it was in this parking lot where they parked the Ryder van, and Jeff Buckley walked down to the shore and waded in.
From that description, I think you're looking at the area known to us old-timers as 'Cobblestone Landing.' It's a pretty prominent spot in town and the focus of an ongoing, seemingly neverending battle between preservationists and developers. Several major streets terminate in that area (Union Ave., Beale St., Jefferson Ave., etc.).

Here's a link to a document about Cobblestone Landing, complete with photos: http://www.memphisriverfront.com/wp-...oneProject.pdf

Old 06-15-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I'm curious to see how close I am. Thanks.
I'll be down there tomorrow morning. I'll get them then.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_commuter View Post
From that description, I think you're looking at the area known to us old-timers as 'Cobblestone Landing.' It's a pretty prominent spot in town and the focus of an ongoing, seemingly neverending battle between preservationists and developers. Several major streets terminate in that area (Union Ave., Beale St., Jefferson Ave., etc.).

Here's a link to a document about Cobblestone Landing, complete with photos: http://www.memphisriverfront.com/wp-...oneProject.pdf

It's just north of those photos...

Old 06-15-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
It's just north of those photos...
Can I ask how you're certain? The info I've found suggests near the monorail bridge. You're telling me it's near the Auction Street Bridge.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Can I ask how you're certain? The info I've found suggests near the monorail bridge. You're telling me it's near the Auction Street Bridge.
I am meeting a guy down there tomorrow. He used to work with the wake up crew here in Memphis which was a local morning show. He's a friend and I texted him earlier, I wanted to makre sure I was right. I may be getting the two confused. But they are not far from each other. But let me check it out. I'll send the pics tomorrow.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
But to answer your question both are north of those pictures. His body was found just south of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis