Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:48 PM

810 posts, read 2,292,905 times

Advertisements

Coming in late on Saturday (around 10ish) with the family. Never been to Memphis, so we need a good place to stay. We would like to visit Graceland on Sunday and then cover some of the music history spots (Sun Studios) maybe visit the Gibson Factory. Enjoy a nice BBQ lunch with some live, not too loud music (kids are 14 and 8 and love music). Would anyone be willing to recommend an itinerary? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:15 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Are you arriving by car?

I'd recommend Peabody Hotel downtown or any hotels on Court Square, or the Westin on Beale. There are some cheaper downtown alternatives as well.

Outside of downtown, the closest hotel would be University of Memphis Holiday Inn. After that, you're looking at staying at Poplar @ I-240 or I-40 in Bartlett/Wolfchase area, a good trek from almost any touristy stuff.

Seriously, if you can afford it, stay downtown.

Graceland can go fast, which is good since you're packing in a lot of stuff. Unless you're die hard fans, I'd take the house tour only, skipping the planes and the other "extra museum" stuff - they're just exhibits tacked onto gift shops.

Sun Studios is great, so is Stax Studios in Soulsville. Haven't been to the Gibson Factory.

Since most of what you're touring is outside of downtown, might I recommend picking up a light lunch somewhere (the Trolly Stop Market near Sun Studios is excellent) and saving the BBQ tasting for dinner? That way, you could end your day tour with the Gibson Factory/Beale Street/National Civil Rights Museum/something else downtown and then eat down there, and go back to the hotel. Rendezvous is my favorite BBQ in Memphis, but many don't like it so much. The dry rub ribs are really good, and the slaw is very unique. The restaurant also oozes Memphis atmosphere. Central Barbecue is also downtown and a decent choice.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:06 PM

252 posts, read 710,350 times
The Gibson Guitar Factory tour is great. Very interesting. The Civil Rights Museum is closed for renovation and will reopen on April 4th. I, too, would try to stay downtown if you can afford it.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:42 PM

120 posts, read 269,944 times
Gibson factory would be a waste of money on the weekend. They are only in full production weekdays.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:45 PM

Get a hotel near Beale Street. Go to Graceland on the way in, before you check-in. Sun Studio after that. Back to the hotel and walk Beale street from there. Lots of restaurants there for dinner. Warning: it's cold and the last time I was downtown on Sunday (in warm weather no less) they might as well have rolled-up the sidewalks. Rendezous is closed Sundays.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:03 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,707 times
Stax is much better than Sun. Unless, you're a huge Elvis fan, I'd skip Graceland. It's just a house. Not all that interesting. Our zoo is very nice if you need a kid friendly attraction.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:35 PM

473 posts, read 796,945 times
I would agree that I enjoyed Stax more than Sun. Another often overlooked downtown attraction is the Belz Museum.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:17 PM

Yes. The zoo is very nice and, for me, WAyyyy more appealing than Graceland.

Most people don't realize that Graceland is in the middle of horrible neighborhood that I don't feel safe driving through. When my apartment was burglarized some of my stuff was recovered from a welfare apartment complex about three blocks from there. So, unless you're really big Elvis fans, I would go somewhere else.

The Pink Palace is a museum where you can learn about the history of Memphis and as I mentioned the zoo is really great. Whatever you end up doing, have fun!

Old 02-07-2014, 07:37 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
LOL Graceland is not in the middle of a horrible neighborhood. Whitehaven is a huge area that has both good and bad neighborhoods. I have walked the sidewalks around Graceland and never felt unsafe. The average tourist will drive to the visitors center, get on the bus, get to Graceland, and then reverse it. Seriously, it's fine.

I second the Pink Palace suggestion. Might be a bit out of the way for a one-day tour of Memphis, but it's really cool.

This Sunday, the Belz Museum is free admission!

Old 02-08-2014, 04:25 PM

170 posts, read 355,864 times
Don't eat at Rendesvous or on Beale Street unless you want to pay more for way less quality food. Just don't do it.

I'd suggest Central BBQ if you want BBQ - its an easy walk downtown. Arcade for some great pancakes (sweet potato - but that doesn't come close to explaining the flavor). There's the best fried chicken ever at Gus's fried chicken, also downtown. And, surprisingly, the best sushi place I've ever been (and I get out of Memphis frequently) is bluefin downtown.

Try to catch a basketball game, if there's one in town and you're into that sort of thing, even if you're not. One of the best sporting atmospheres I've been in. If you do go, pay the extra $ to not sit in the very top bowl - it's worth whatever it costs.

Check out the Peabody Hotel even if you don't stay there - the have have cool rooftop and ducks in the fountain (like 11am-5pm).

Never done much of the tours but they'd probably be cool.

Mud Island is a cool place to drive/walk around and check out the cool houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: