Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:19 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times

Advertisements

It is no secret that many of Memphis's black neighborhoods were originally built for whites. I have an uncle who once lived in an apartment on Belz Boulevard near the old Southgate Shopping Center in the early 1960s. He worked for Federal Compress.
NOTE: I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just interested in discussing history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 01:47 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,270 times
I gotten to know that area north of Whitehaven well recently. It's a strange industrial area in some parts, but the housing in the residential area along South Pkwy looks to be smaller, but well built early mid-20th century. I'd love to see investment into that area. There are some beautiful craftsman homes in there that are falling into disrepair as the neighborhood declines (although some pockets look very well kept and neat). It's such a short drive to downtown....and I think if it ever was rejuvinated, 3rd street is easily wide nough to accomodate a street car line.

I'm not too sure how we can encourage investment along 3rd. There are some pretty dangerous areas there now, especially closer toward McLemore. Two notable places in that area are Elmwood Cemetary and Interstate BBQ. There are still plenty of industrial businesses in that area. I think there is a pretty big recycling plant right there near the southgate, but I'm not sure how many people are employed there.

Highway 61/3rd was sort of "route sixty sixed" when I-55 was built. I suppose after that area was developed, the rural area south of it was slowly transformed into what would become Whitehaven.

I always thought it was funny how the old Memphis money didn't really like Elvis very much, so he bought that house and land (Graceland) in what was the sticks/emerging suburb so long ago. I'd like to see Elvis Presley blvd redeveloped in 1950s style...lots of neon, drive-ins, diners, etc. Maybe a rock and roll concert hall or something would go well there.

I'm not sure what happened to the neighborhoods. Working class parts of town tend to depend on good public services - particularly public schools- to sustain their appeal. I suppose that they declined as the schools declined. The middle and upper class whites and blacks seem to steer clear of them these days. I imagine the opposite was true in the 1960s.

Last edited by tigerphan; 08-08-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 05:00 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
My family is Jewish. In the 1950s, most of the tribe lived around Speedway Terrace/Vollintine Evergreen. Definately not the case anymore.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:27 AM

448 posts, read 870,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
I'd like to see Elvis Presley blvd redeveloped in 1950s style...lots of neon, drive-ins, diners, etc. Maybe a rock and roll concert hall or something would go well there.
They are trying to redevelop The EP Blvd corridor from roughly where Graceland is to Brooks Road, which will serve as a "gateway". They are planning to put a giant 'W' (for Whitehaven) on the intersection. It will look like a giant 'M', for Memphis, when you are traveling north on EP Blvd. They plan to place sidewalks and greenery

The thing that the powers that be are not getting is that the speed limit needs to be reduced to around 25MPH in the area with some bike lanes and promote some LOCAL restaurants and cuisine in the area (ala Midtown) instead of trying to recruit chains that are not coming (e.g. Applebees, TGI Friday's, etc)

Last edited by Darkseid; 08-09-2013 at 06:59 AM..

Old 08-09-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
They are planning to put a giant 'W' (for Whitehaven) on the intersection.

Smart. Reeeal smart! That will bring in the money for sure!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
My family is Jewish. In the 1950s, most of the tribe lived around Speedway Terrace/Vollintine Evergreen. Definately not the case anymore.

This neighborhood?

Vollintine Hills Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unfortunately, the residents began moving out as early as the 1960s, not long after Baron Hirsch was completed.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:30 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
Yes. The senior center at N Parkway and Bellevue also used to be an Orthodox synagogue. Members had to live nearby because they are not allowed to drive on Saturdays.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 AM

845 posts, read 2,541,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
They are trying to redevelop The EP Blvd corridor from roughly where Graceland is to Brooks Road, which will serve as a "gateway". They are planning to put a giant 'W' (for Whitehaven) on the intersection. It will look like a giant 'M', for Memphis, when you are traveling north on EP Blvd. They plan to place sidewalks and greenery

The thing that the powers that be are not getting is that the speed limit needs to be reduced to around 25MPH in the area with some bike lanes and promote some LOCAL restaurants and cuisine in the area (ala Midtown) instead of trying to recruit chains that are not coming (e.g. Applebees, TGI Friday's, etc)

I am sorry, but a speed limit of 25 mph is not realistic for a major road like that. 35mph is an option, but 25mph will not be adhered to by local motorist. People will start complaining about a speed trap.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Yes. The senior center at N Parkway and Bellevue also used to be an Orthodox synagogue. Members had to live nearby because they are not allowed to drive on Saturdays.

Lots of good info about Memphis's Orthodox congregations here!

History of Orthodox Congregations

Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
Highway 61/3rd was sort of "route sixty sixed" when I-55 was built. I suppose after that area was developed, the rural area south of it was slowly transformed into what would become Whitehaven.
Whitehaven did not extend west to Highway 61.

I wish I could find some good reading material on the history of Memphis's various neighborhoods, not only the oldest ones, but the ones developed after World War Two.

Anyone heard of Westwood? It is a neighborhood dominated by the Mount Vernon Baptist Church. It was developed beginning in the late 1950s.

Westwood, Memphis, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis