Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:04 PM

13 posts, read 50,427 times

Advertisements

Thanks Pbob..those were my initial thoughts. 6 months is just enough time to take a good, long, slow look at what is going on. I have cousins that own homes in the Hickory Hill areas, for the most part, they havent had any trouble at all. They live in middle class neighborhoods with other professional families with minimal crime. I dont know if I would live there, but I am going to take time to check things out for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 06:58 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
I think that's a good idea. The HH area is the most rapidly declining area of Memphis though...lots of crime now. It was okay even about 8 years ago...but now it's a lot worse. Unfortunate that it's gone downhill so quick.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:19 PM

62 posts, read 159,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdiane View Post
London79,

I did not mention that I spent some years in Clarksdale, MS - if I can get over the shock of the Mississippi Delta, Memphis will be a breeze.
Compared to Memphis, anywhere in Mississippi is a breeze.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:24 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London79 View Post
Compared to Memphis, anywhere in Mississippi is a breeze.
Apparently you haven't spent much time in Clarksdale and the rest of the delta region. Memphis has more problems than it needs, but you can certainly live better here than just about anywhere in the Mississippi portion delta.

I understand you don't care for Memphis and the area, and I can understand why you feel that way. However, you don't support your argument when you imply that Tunica, Clarksdale, or any of a few dozen other delta towns are easier to live in than Memphis.

Last edited by Pearlbob; 12-14-2007 at 02:37 PM..

Old 12-14-2007, 02:40 PM

I agree - Memphis may have it's crime and problems, but at least there are things to do here! Plenty of activities and things to do if you so desire. In the MS delta area....wow. Nothing going on, nothing to do. Some of those area are so poverty striken...not just poor like in Memphis, but destitute and horribly depressed. Stuff you'd almost expect to see in third world countries.

I think if you've lived in Clarksdale, then you are prepared for any type of culture shock that the midsouth delta region could bring to you.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMGrad92 View Post
Apparently you haven't spent much time in Clarksdale and the rest of the delta region. Memphis has more problems than it needs, but you can certainly live better here than just about anywhere in the Mississippi portion delta.

I understand you don't care for Memphis and the area, and I can understand why you feel that way. However, you don't support your argument when you imply that Tunica, Clarksdale, or any of a few dozen other delta towns are easier to live in than Memphis.

When it comes to violent crime there is no comparison. We're #1, remember?

Old 12-14-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I think if you've lived in Clarksdale, then you are prepared for any type of culture shock that the midsouth delta region could bring to you.
With her being a "Mid-thirties, single, African American woman...", I don't want her coming here thinking she's moved to a big city. To gcdiane, I will be completely honest with you. It pains me to say this but most of the ignorance you experience in Memphis will come from African Americans. The rest will come from others who clump you into that group with <edited>. But you won't hear anyone else on the boards say that. I am too African American so I know what I'm talking about. I think Nashville would have been a better option. That's if you were bent on living in Tennessee. But hey, you're at the point of no return now so it doesn't matter. So I don't totally offend everyone on the Memphis boards, not every black person in Memphis is ignorant nor is every white person a bigot. But those are the exception to the rule.

Last edited by Pearlbob; 12-14-2007 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: Please refrain from derogatory language

Old 12-14-2007, 03:11 PM

Crime, or lack of it, doesn't necessarily make a city easier to live in. Plus, small, depressed towns like that also tend to have a ton of crime. Maybe not the same type of crime as seen in a large city like Memphis, but crime nontheless. You have a whole town of very poor, uneducated people, you're going to have some crime.

That being said, the original poster specifically said that she/he knew of MEmphis, has lived in the area, and didn't need anyone to bring up the safety and crime issues. He/she was only asking about downtown, midtown, and east Memphis neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by London79 View Post
When it comes to violent crime there is no comparison. We're #1, remember?

Old 12-15-2007, 08:28 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdiane View Post
I'm sure this question has been put out here a squillion times. But, I want tailormade answers...

Mid-thirties, single, African American woman moving to Memphis area in January to do some educator administration stuff. I've been looking at the Midtown, White Station and Downtown areas to rent for about 6 months to a year. Are there any other areas I need to consider?

Are there any places to look that may not be in the traditional classified listings? Ive done Commercial Appeal, Memphis Flyer and some local websites.

Thanks
I'd also check out Craigslist for housing. Use caution, but you can get some good deals.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:18 PM

13 posts, read 50,427 times
Default Been There...Done That

Once again, London, if you checked an earlier post you would see that i've done the big city thing and have traveled quite extensively. So, Im not ignorant to Memphis's situation. Like most cities, Memphis has its strengths and challenges, however, you will find champions and cynics in any locale.

I have found ignorance from New York to Alabama to London and California - no place is devoid of generalizations and those who scream them on a regular basis. It amazes me that everywhere, and I mean everywhere I have moved it is just a matter of 2 days before someone eases up to me and confesses the 'real deal' about the area while questioning my decision making. It may interest you to note that I choose purposeful work in areas that need it. Hence, my move to the Delta. I enjoy my work and look to do it in areas that need it.

I've done my research on Memphis and it is the next place for me. That's why I don't need the welcome committee turning me away at the city limits. London, you may see the area as blighted and full of ignorance. I see it as an area full of opportunities to do meaningful work and take in a wonderful art scene full of culture and diversity. It's all in how you look at it...

And, the fact that you are African American doesn't make your opinion or suggestions more valid than anyone else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis