Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 846 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm needing some advice. I moved out of my apartment about three weeks ago. I got a letter from my old landlord telling me i have to pay for new carpet since i had a pet in the apartment and the pet could have pee'd on the carpet. I did have a dog in the apartment and paided the $200 pet deposit and the 15 dollars a month extra. I called the landlord after receiving the letter and they told me the deposit was not going to cover the whole amount to replace all carpet since i had a pet and they had to change it. My carpet was not torn but was very lightly stained after living in the apartment for a year, and the carpet was not new when i moved into the apartment This is a pet friendly apartment and they do not change the carpets after every move. But the landlord claimed to change the carpets every time someone moves in with a pet. My question is, why are they charging me the full amount of replacing the entire carpet in the apartment? When it was not explained in the beginning before i signed the lease and there is nothing in the lease that says when you move in with a dog you have to cover the entire carpet expense. If that was the case i would never have moved in. Any advice would be helpful. Should i get a lawyer to fight for this cause or pay the $600 and get over it? It there anything i can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 06:04 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
You are required to pay the depreciated value of the carpet plus any damages to the subflooring due to pet damage.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:52 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
They have to prove how long the carpet has been down. You have to pay the depreciated value. Carpet generally is depreciated out after 7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis