Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,549 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My mother has lived in her apartment for almost 20 years (in California), and has NEVER had the carpet replaced. We have been trying for years to get management to replace the carpet, but the problem is that they want US to hire and pay for people to move the furniture around while they replace the carpet. To me this is absurd! We have lived in this complex far longer than any other tenant, have always paid rent on time and have never had any problems. I feel that they should take care of all costs associated with replacing this carpet that was only meant to last 5-7 years and is now going on 20. Is this fair? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 01:05 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,515,602 times
When you rent, you have to live by the decisions of the landlord when it comes to replacing carpet in cases such as yours.

Here are your options

1) move to a different place that has newer carpet
2) live with the carpet as-is.
3) pay for the furniture mover labor if you want new carpet.

Keep in mind if you choose option 3 above, there is no guarantee how long you will be living in that unit with the new carpet. The landlord can ask you to move out given proper notice unless you are still in an annual lease agreement or long term rule where landlord can't do this such as rent control which is in some areas.

Normally a landlord buys carpet when there are no renters living there. So the landlord wouldn't have to pay for movers to deal with your furniture. This is fair that they are asking you to pay. It can't be that expensive. What is the cost - $150?

It sounds to me like the landlord IS willing to pay for all costs related to replacing the carpet. But they aren't willing to pay for costs to move your furniture.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:28 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,843,937 times
They also may not be interested in moving your furniture in case something happens. I refuse to move any tenant's property for any reason unless it is a true emergency. I also don't like my carpet guy to move their stuff either if he has to go do a patch or something. It could be that he's being cheap or protecting himself and his subs. I can see it both ways here.

Realistically, he doesn't have to change the carpet. This seems like give a little, get a little.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:38 PM

2,473 posts, read 2,772,250 times
You can always just move the furniture yourself, too. No need to pay someone else.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:52 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,127,574 times
OP, you don't have to get professionals to move the furniture, nor do you have to pay whomever the landlord hires. If the LL is not paying for it, and I understand why not, then get some friends to come and move the furniture. OR, contact a church to see if they have someone willing to do it for a lower cost.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:15 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,837,235 times
I think it's very fair. He doesn't have to give you new carpet but he is doing it. As others said, they normally replace carpet in between tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting