Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:28 PM

97 posts, read 123,019 times

Advertisements

They got a lot of differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 10:00 AM

97 posts, read 123,019 times
It depends on where you're coming from

Old 09-23-2016, 10:46 AM

35 posts, read 29,619 times
I understand that Nashville is trendy right now. A friend's daughter is moving there without a job because she's in her 20's and heard it's the thing to do. Memphis seems cool rather than trendy.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:40 PM

247 posts, read 336,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamushy View Post
I understand that Nashville is trendy right now. A friend's daughter is moving there without a job because she's in her 20's and heard it's the thing to do. Memphis seems cool rather than trendy.
I'd say that is accurate.

Nashville is a nicer city, Memphis is a cooler city. I personally hope that Memphis doesn't buy into all of these bland, pretentious trends that other cities are, though I do hope that they find a way to experience more positive growth.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:35 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Finding a way to fund education for its poor underclass, and creating jobs for those folks, without triggering the kind of influx of people who exert massive pressure on the existing infrastructure that we can see in Nashville, is a big challenge for Memphis.

I'd agree that Memphis is cooler than Nashville. The city is a raw and authentic testament to its past and its culture. I personally really enjoy Memphis and would live there again someday.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:54 PM

188 posts, read 372,796 times
Nashville is much nicer. Not even close.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:11 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,896,793 times
Nashville is Nicer but Memphis has some cool things too. Nashville is prettier, but Memphis has some Beautiful areas too, Memphis also has some rough areas, If you combine the Rough Areas with the Nice Areas you may get the impression that Memphis looks Rougher than Nashville but if you Just talk about the Beautiful Areas, Memphis has some Gorgeous Neighborhoods and Areas that can straight up go toe to toe with anything in Nashville, Nashville also looks Newer and feels Bigger, But Like I Said, Memphis has some pretty neat stuff and is definitely worth your time for a weekend trip, I'm not a huge fan of Country Music but I tolerate it and even dance to it lol (****** Tonk Central on Lower Broadway lol, Yea I was there this Weekend, lol my girlfriend loves country music I don't love it and I don't hate it but I will listen too it,
If you love Country Music you will ADORE Nashville, if you like me and not a huge fan but at the same time not completely closed off to it, you will Like or Love Nashville and will have plenty of fun, If You Are Completely Closed and Loathe anything dealing with Country Music you will not like or may be Bored in Nashville yea there's other stuff but let's be honest 90% of the Touristy stuff is geared around Country Music,....In that case you better off heading to Memphis, I may give the edge a tad bit to Nashville but Memphis is a very Lively and Vibrant city.and can be just as fun as Nashville, and is Easy too catch some Live Music just like in Nashville, I recently went to St Louis not too long ago and I prefer both cities over St Louis

As far as differences. Nashville has More Express Ways and Interstates than Memphis,

Memphis's Beale Street is more Famous but Lower Broad is Larger

Memphis has The NBA and Smashville has the NFL Predetors and NFL Titans

Nashville has a football Stadium across the river from downtown. Memphis has a football stadium in Midtown

Memphis has the Blues Hall of Fame Nashville has the Country Music Hall of Fame

Nashville is Hilly Memphis is flatter

Nashville has Many Construction Cranes building stuff Memphis almost has none however much construction is happening in Memphis just on a smaller scale

Nashville is built on both sides of the river Memphis is built only on the Eastern side of the Mississippi River, across from that is farmland (technically a flood plain)

Memphis has a much nicer active Riverfront and if they ever bring those Trolleys back, Memphis would have better public transit between the two

Nashville has a larger downtown and has more intriguing Public Art sculptures and Fountains and more interesting areas to discover

Nashville is becoming more expensive than Memphis

Nashville has more conventions

The Hottest Big Name Musical Acts are More Likely to have a Concert Tour date In Nashville before Memphis

More likely to see a celebrity in Nashville

Memphis Has the Better BBQ spare me the the Fake Nashville Bbq lol and Memphis has "World Famous" Gus Fried Chicken, outside of that Nashville a has more varied diverse culinary scene

Nashville has better shopping

Memphis is home to FedEx, the largest company in Tennessee

Nashville most famous Building is the Batman Building Memphis most famous building is the Pyramid (go to the Pyramids Observation Deck!! If you get a chance )

Nashville is 500+sq miles I'm Area
Memphis is 300+

Metro Nashville includes 15 counties all in Tennessee
Metro Memphis includes 10 counties in 3 States

Nashville is basically all of Davidson County
Memphis is in Shelby County, a county of 900,000+ / almost a million residents

Nashville is the State Capital, Some joke that Memphis is the Capital of Mississippi

So there's a few differences between the two for ya

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 10-25-2016 at 01:49 AM..

Old 12-20-2016, 04:10 AM

182 posts, read 226,448 times
Crime: Nashville

Schools: Nashville for both k-12 and college

City - Memphis vs. City-Nashville: This one is debatable. Depends on what you like. Though I feel most people would gravitate toward Nashville

People friendliness: Nashville.

Neighborhoods - gated, HOA, suburban, city, etc.: Nashville for suburban. Memphis for city as it has many beautiful neighborhoods in the urban part.

Shopping: Nashville

Restaurants: Nashville has more in quantity and variety. Can't beat Memphis BBQ tho.

Traffic: Memphis. This is one area it excels in.

entertainment - what kinds, where?: Nashville. So many more places than Memphis.

Age groups - any city younger or older than the other? Age of population: Nashville has a young, college age-ish population. Not sure for Memphis.

Worst side of town(s): Memphis: typical hoods, theres alot. Nashville: North side. The east and west side are gentrified.

Best side of town(s): Memphis: the suburbs (gtown, cville) Nashville: Williamson county.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:02 PM

247 posts, read 336,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackin12 View Post
Crime: Nashville

Schools: Nashville for both k-12 and college

City - Memphis vs. City-Nashville: This one is debatable. Depends on what you like. Though I feel most people would gravitate toward Nashville

People friendliness: Nashville.

Neighborhoods - gated, HOA, suburban, city, etc.: Nashville for suburban. Memphis for city as it has many beautiful neighborhoods in the urban part.

Shopping: Nashville

Restaurants: Nashville has more in quantity and variety. Can't beat Memphis BBQ tho.

Traffic: Memphis. This is one area it excels in.

entertainment - what kinds, where?: Nashville. So many more places than Memphis.

Age groups - any city younger or older than the other? Age of population: Nashville has a young, college age-ish population. Not sure for Memphis.

Worst side of town(s): Memphis: typical hoods, theres alot. Nashville: North side. The east and west side are gentrified.

Best side of town(s): Memphis: the suburbs (gtown, cville) Nashville: Williamson county.
It's all a matter of opinion, but I definitely don't find Nashville to be friendlier.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:11 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,053,499 times
Not much according to this video...

WMCTV : Graphic video shows assault of Murfreesboro teen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis