Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 11:33 PM

612 posts, read 844,158 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to get some insiders' takes on this, as Memphis is a strong #2 on my list of places to relocate to (NJ being the 1st)

This is just a personality/compatibility fit question for me. I'm a pork-vegan (not just the bacon, but the bacon grease, hamhocks, whatever other pork-derived items that are used to cook), am -so-so on bbq (morr so the bbq sauce, I love the grill), and am not religious.

These are the main things that make me wonder if I should indeed move to the Memphis area next year. I don't want to not be able to enjoy the food because everything is either pork or cooked in pork, and I know I'll receive some judgement for my non-religiousness but I just don't want to be considered more or less a full-blown demon.

I realize it will be a transition coming from the Northeast however I feel as though I'll be fine sans my questions here (and also possibly bugs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 08:10 AM

1,292 posts, read 5,003,103 times
Don't worry about the pork issue. Sure, Memphis is famous for it's pork BBQ but, like any fairly large city, restaurants/food of all kinds are everywhere...

Old 08-07-2018, 03:32 PM

That's good to know. I guess I'd be screwed as far as religion, huh

Old 08-07-2018, 04:10 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,946 times
Sorry to hear that you don't like pork Bbq, etc. Memphis is known for it's Bbq. If you check out the restaurant listings for the city you will find right at 100 Bbq places listed.

I was born and raised in Memphis and even though it's changed a lot its still my hometown and the place I come from. Like any other place it will be what you make of it.

There's other food there besides Bbq and I don't think people are going to bug you about religion. Some people you meet might ask what church you attend but that's usually the extent of it.

Maybe someone who presently lives in Memphis can give you more recent info about living there than I can.

Good luck...

Old 08-07-2018, 06:42 PM

I should've elaborated more - - while it's not my very 1st-choice and I sometimes tire of bar-b-q sauce, I DO overall very much like barbecue. Pork was really my only no-no as far as food.

I think I'd fit right in to the area honestly, I just wondered about Religion because I've heard that Memphis is a highly-religious city (I know it's in the heart of the Bible Belt but there's so much more I'm offered)

Thanks for the responses though, they're appreciated. I just have to figure out the cost of living for DeSoto County, MS, as that would be where I'd lay my head (would hang out and work in Memphis)

Old 08-07-2018, 08:13 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Restaurants probably wouldn't be a problem, but if you eat a meal someone prepared at home I'd strongly suggest asking about the possibility of pork, as lots of thing are cooked or seasoned with bacon grease. This includes but is not limited to eggs, vegetables, and cornbread.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:49 AM

Yeah, some people get atty-TUDES about my not eating pork, a few even lying about such-and-such not having pork in it.

I'll have to just only eat cooking from those I know well

Old 08-08-2018, 06:48 PM

91 posts, read 136,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
That's good to know. I guess I'd be screwed as far as religion, huh
Don't expect anybody to be forcing something on you. In general Black People are religious and bing that Memphis is the Blackest Large City Well you guessed it. You may actually have changing philosophies as you age so keep an open mind. I'm a born and Raised in Memphis and Love it! Lots of other food and Vegan options now. Health is becoming everywhere. If you're looking in Desoto, I call it Memphis, Ms, you'll, be fine. The women are great too!

Old 08-10-2018, 06:57 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
I should've elaborated more - - while it's not my very 1st-choice and I sometimes tire of bar-b-q sauce, I DO overall very much like barbecue. Pork was really my only no-no as far as food.

I think I'd fit right in to the area honestly, I just wondered about Religion because I've heard that Memphis is a highly-religious city (I know it's in the heart of the Bible Belt but there's so much more I'm offered)

Thanks for the responses though, they're appreciated. I just have to figure out the cost of living for DeSoto County, MS, as that would be where I'd lay my head (would hang out and work in Memphis)
The U of M did a study a few years ago and it was slightly cheaper to live in Memphis. They did not factor in any driving distance, only comparable houses, taxes, etc.

We moved to the area almost 18 years ago for my job. Since it was in south Memphis, we chose to live in Southaven since it was a short 10 mile drive to work. My wife got a job in downtown Memphis and drove about 20 miles to work. Still not bad. To get the same size house for a comparable price we would have lived on the outskirts of Collierville and added 10 to 15 miles per trip to our commutes.

Now both of us work from home so commuting isn't a big deal. We rarely go into Memphis. The last time was for a concert on Beale Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis