Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:05 PM

37 posts, read 180,904 times

Advertisements

I have no sense of direction and I use my GPS in the car when I go places. I still am learning to know Memphis so my GPS is important. I can't tell you how many times I missed my turn and suddenly I am in a "not so nice" part of town.

One thing I have noticed sense I been here is the large number of temporary license plates people have on their cars...? It almost seems weird to me. I asked my husband and he said it was probably a scam? Or do people buy a lot of cars here?

Why does everybody speed? Even in a school zoon people are speeding. Today me and one other car were the only once driving the posted speed limit when the yellow lights were flashing. Everybody else totally ignored it. Even the cops don't care. At the same school zoon today the police officer was driving faster then anybody and I know there was no emergency because he had no lights on to warn anybody.
There is one more thing I have to say. THE POLICE in this city oh my.... I have never seen a city were the police is so absent with a "don't give a damn" attitude. I have lived all over this country and all over Europe and Memphis PD takes the price. I didn't know you could smoke in the police-car. I thought the department would take pride in their vehicles and clean them every once in a while, but I have seen dirtier muddy cop cars here then anywhere else. I never see people being pulled over. All I see is the police driving around and eating hamburgers and smoking in their cars.
What is going on?

For the record. I don't mean to be all-negative about Memphis. I love to be here and most people are very nice. Memphis has such a rich and interesting history and a lot of culture. I love to be close to everything and I love the weather!

So, I got to vent a little. Have a nice day everybody.

Last edited by TheSwede; 04-08-2008 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 07:38 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,373,861 times
In their defense, I think the cops here have a little more to worry about than pulling people over for speeding. I'd rather them be hunting down real criminals, and not me

I've never seen a cop eating or smoking in a cop car either. Are you talking about police cars, or the unmarked cars? Not sure if it makes a difference, but I've never noticed that. Then again, I tend to not pay that close of attention to the inside of cop cars. I see cops all over the country speeding, going through red lights, and doing whatever they please. That's not specific to Memphis, although maybe it's worse here.

I'm sure burn-out for cops here is second only to maybe teachers....

Old 04-09-2008, 07:26 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
I'm suprised you even see "temporary" license plates. It seems to be an option in Memphis. One HUGE warning - carry uninsured motorist coverage for your vehicle, that's another thing that appears to be an option inspite of laws stating you need auto insurance on a vehicle.

As for police - see a post below about "products of the Memphis school system running around with guns", that sums it up.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:42 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,373,861 times
Auto insurance is the law, but a lot of people just don't care. They get ticketed/fined if they are pulled over and don't have insurance. But I'm sure the fine is cheaper than actually getting insurance, if they could even get it.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 6,936 times
hey swede

you're not imagining anything ! you ought to see the Memphis cops just hanging out on Sat and Sun over at the International Paper parking deck below.....at least two cars, usually two black female officers....just wasting time there on private property....I see it all the time on weekends....

and the observation about temp tags is spot on as well
and these people can't drive for sure...the worst I've EVER been around..EVER !

Last edited by Pearlbob; 04-09-2008 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: no calling out moderators

Old 04-09-2008, 07:14 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,480,719 times
Have you ever tried navigator on your cell phone? Call your cell phone provider. I have it on my phone and I travel alot. It is very accurate and if I get turned around it just updates the directions. Tells me how long, even gives me pics of water if I am passing a body of water. Talks to you. Very helpful. I made it from Memphis to SoCal using my cell phone. Good luck, you will learn Memphis soon enough.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:08 PM

369 posts, read 1,301,777 times
Around this time of year, all the Memphians who recieved a tax refund went out and bought a car that they can't afford. You probably also see a lot of cars with 26" chrome rims, tvs, and "limbo doors" but still have temporary tags...that's Memphis for you...

Old 04-09-2008, 08:47 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
Around this time of year, all the Memphians who recieved a tax refund went out and bought a car that they can't afford. You probably also see a lot of cars with 26" chrome rims, tvs, and "limbo doors" but still have temporary tags...that's Memphis for you...
Is there a reason you come to a board for another city? I mean, other than to run everything and everyone down?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:10 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwede View Post
I have no sense of direction and I use my GPS in the car when I go places. I still am learning to know Memphis so my GPS is important. I can't tell you how many times I missed my turn and suddenly I am in a "not so nice" part of town.

One thing I have noticed sense I been here is the large number of temporary license plates people have on their cars...? It almost seems weird to me. I asked my husband and he said it was probably a scam? Or do people buy a lot of cars here?

Why does everybody speed? Even in a school zoon people are speeding. Today me and one other car were the only once driving the posted speed limit when the yellow lights were flashing. Everybody else totally ignored it. Even the cops don't care. At the same school zoon today the police officer was driving faster then anybody and I know there was no emergency because he had no lights on to warn anybody.
There is one more thing I have to say. THE POLICE in this city oh my.... I have never seen a city were the police is so absent with a "don't give a damn" attitude. I have lived all over this country and all over Europe and Memphis PD takes the price. I didn't know you could smoke in the police-car. I thought the department would take pride in their vehicles and clean them every once in a while, but I have seen dirtier muddy cop cars here then anywhere else. I never see people being pulled over. All I see is the police driving around and eating hamburgers and smoking in their cars.
What is going on?

For the record. I don't mean to be all-negative about Memphis. I love to be here and most people are very nice. Memphis has such a rich and interesting history and a lot of culture. I love to be close to everything and I love the weather!

So, I got to vent a little. Have a nice day everybody.
Welcome to Memphis. I come from a medium sized urban city in the midwest and I noticed the same thing when I moved here.

Just a generilization, Memphians don't like rules. Thats why you see people speeding down subdivision streets and through school zones. There are too many intoxicated people on the roads as well. Just pay attention to the people standing in line with you at the supermarket then you see them jump into their cars with their children and drive off. Especially during the summer.

There are alot of lazy people in professions they have no business being in. Its far bigger than just the police department. The state and local governement is so poorly ran, they don't have the funds to get the manpower to enforce traffic laws nor does the average Memphian want them to. So drive at your own risk.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,825 times
its true, memphis is revolting... i was born and raised there, for 27 yrs and i just moved, i had no idea people can be so nice till i left memphis and experienced living in a new town. you see alot of drive out tags for a few reaons... tax season and ppl buying cars (not everyone can afford them) Stolen cars somehow end up being sold all the time, and its easier for pl to keep getting drive out tags and not real tags.
Here are some of my tips and information for memphis =)

DO GET UNINSURED MOTORIST INSURANCE.. There are ppl driving around without ins looking for an opportunity to sue, i actually knnow ppl who didnt have insurance, got into a wreck, with someone who did have insurance and sued the crap out of them for back injury neck injury, yada yada. and they really dont get in trouble. they go to court and all they require is a piece of paper saying you have insurance and its thrown out...nothing happens. it can be a ins card made on your computer...they dontcare.

2. Dont count on the cops! i called numerous times when i herd gunshots and the 911 lines rang rang rang rang for more than five min. People have died trying to call 911 there and couldnt get though to an operator. and if you call the police stations you get an auomated system and ts hard to actually talk to a human. its sickening

3. City council has had many problems...Thier not all crooks but threre has been an awful lot. Look it up Tennesee Waltz sting. I never cared about the mayor either....his campaign motto was "shake the haters off" and i dont want to get into my spill about him.

4. If your planning on renting or you are renting get a lawyer to look at your lease. I was screwwed ver twice and i know alot of other people who got ripped of as well. I dont understand it but these nasty landlords KNOW it will cost you more money to fight it after the crime is already done.

5. If you have any animals that go outside , dont leave them unattended, there are people who will steal your animals, dogs cats, esp pit bulls.

6. Driving in memphis is hell, it took me a long time to learn my way around, there are alot more bad areas than good. The better areas tend to be in the suburbs, bartlett, lakeland, germantown colierville. but they all have thier shar of problems....trust me

learn the interstates i40 and 240 thats what i did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis