Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:51 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,483,613 times

Advertisements

...why the Memphis board is so dead compared to the other forums? I visit other boards and people are chatting away way into the night time. Maybe I don't have a life LOL. Just wondering. For instance, some days I will not see a post after 5pm or even earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 07:40 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,387,502 times
My guess is that a lot of people have nothing good to say, lots of bad opinions, and have no questions about that. :-/

Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,483,613 times
^^ Good point. Maybe that explains it-everything shuts down so early. Well i am a night owl..guess I'm in the wrong city or maybe I need to get a night job LOL

Old 05-21-2008, 07:25 AM

What shuts down early here????

Old 05-21-2008, 07:56 AM

774 posts, read 2,584,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
...why the Memphis board is so dead compared to the other forums? I visit other boards and people are chatting away way into the night time. Maybe I don't have a life LOL. Just wondering. For instance, some days I will not see a post after 5pm or even earlier.
I've noticed on other boards that a degree of camaraderie is encouraged and that off-topic conversational threads are acceptable. For whatever reason, this doesn't seem to be the case on the Memphis board.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:37 AM

The Memphis board has had a lot of trolls in the past that unfortunately have made things a much more monitored environment.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:38 AM

774 posts, read 2,584,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
The Memphis board has had a lot of trolls in the past that unfortunately have made things a much more monitored environment.
And I think, in that way, the trolls have won.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:42 AM

That's how life works unfortunately. One bad apple spoils it for everyone else.

It's also hard to have camaraderie when every opinion is negative, or when people try to be positive and get shot down immediately by someone's negative opinion. It's disheartening. Of course there are negative aspects, and of course people should be allowed to talk about them. But there is talking, and then there is constant complaining with no real conversing.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:11 PM

London, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundan View Post
Camaraderie??? You know, with so many people "complaining", you would think that would send up a red flag. My philosophy has always been that if a cup is empty then you fill it up half-way, it's half full. If a cup is full then you pour out half the contents, it's half empty. Realism works for me. Optimism is good when you're actively trying to make a difference. But when you're in denial about real problems you're only kidding yourself. No matter how positive you remain the plague that's spreading will eventually end up infecting you. Or maybe I should say affecting since the ignorance (plague) affects (infects) me daily in this town. Only way to avoid it is too not go anywhere are get out of here. And I, like many other fed up Memphians, can't live my entire life feeling so disconnected from the people around me. With so many other examples of great places out there, is frustrating to see this city ran with such inefficiency. Instead of truly being great, this city just pretends to be. It's like a diseased crackhead who doesn't want to admit she's hit rock-bottom.

Now, am I actively trying to make changes in Memphis,....no. Not because I don't want to, but because I don't see the masses of people wanted to. The tsunami of ignorance is way too daunting! It's a battle that can't be won.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:01 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,320,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
I've noticed on other boards that a degree of camaraderie is encouraged and that off-topic conversational threads are acceptable. For whatever reason, this doesn't seem to be the case on the Memphis board.
Indeed.

From what I gather, if the folks who post here would simply delude themselves into becoming cheerleaders for the city, then such camaraderie would be most welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis