Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 10:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,050 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Memphis to start my job out of college at FedEx corporate headquarters. Was deciding between apartments in the Midtown area or closer to the office (maybe Germantown?).

The biggest thing seems to be commute vs location. Seems lots of people have suggested DT/MT on the idea that they are more exciting for people in their mid-20's. My thought is by living close to the office, I could save 40-60 mins of commute each day and still have time on weekends to visit things.

I am interested in your thoughts and was wondering if there was anything insight you could provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 07:42 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,417 times
You could split the difference and live in East Memphis. Have you checked out the Highland Row apartments? They're only around 25 mins from FedEx. You'd also be doing a reverse commute, so traffic wouldn't be so bad. When I was working in Collierville (a bit more than 10mins east of FedEx), I had a colleague who would commute from downtown and it only took him 30-40 mins to get out there.

As for the Southwind area around FedEx, there's not a whole lot their other than chain stores and apartments. I lived in a complex just south of Winchester and it was fine, but if I had the chance to do it again, I would've picked a place more in town.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:01 PM

191 posts, read 303,317 times
Right now everything is deader than a doornail: restaurants and shops closed, everyone needs a haircut, no activities. Main Street is abandoned. But unless you live in the Dakotas, it's probably the same, or worse, where you are now!

Before the Covid crisis, Downtown was booming. There's still lots of construction going on, but with unemployment up, the question is, who will move into all these apartments? On the plus side, it's probably a good time to negotiate a good rent rate.

For a young, single person or couple, I still think Downtown is a more interesting place to live than East Memphis or Germantown. We have young neighbors who commute from Downtown to Germantown - 25 minutes each way, so FedEx would be less.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
You could split the difference and live in East Memphis. Have you checked out the Highland Row apartments? They're only around 25 mins from FedEx. You'd also be doing a reverse commute, so traffic wouldn't be so bad. When I was working in Collierville (a bit more than 10mins east of FedEx), I had a colleague who would commute from downtown and it only took him 30-40 mins to get out there.

As for the Southwind area around FedEx, there's not a whole lot their other than chain stores and apartments. I lived in a complex just south of Winchester and it was fine, but if I had the chance to do it again, I would've picked a place more in town.

Thanks,
I will check out the Highland row area

Old 04-17-2020, 02:55 PM

Noted. The uncertainty of the job market is definitely something I'll keep in consideration. Would be a good negotiating point.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:16 AM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
I would just live downtown in the South Main area and commute. If you hop on 240 to 385, it will only take you about 25-30 minutes each way. You will be commuting against the traffic so absent a wreck, there really isn't any traffic. The commute in Memphis, although spread out, is really nothing like any major city like Nashville or Atlanta.

Downtown you will have much better demographics in terms of young, white collar professionals, lots of whom probably work at FedEx. I would personally rather live where I want to play than live where I work. Otherwise, be ready to drop $60+ for Ubers when you want to go out on the weekend with co-workers.

Also, I'm not sure if your job if this will apply to your position, but FedEx corporate HQ is moving downtown across from the FedEx forum if I am not mistaken, but I am not sure when that is happening. Construction is under way.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:22 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
If I was going to be working in the Fed Ex headquarters, starting off in one of the apartment complexes off Bill Morris Parkway would be good. They're very nice places for the most part and handy.

After you set down some roots, you'll figure out where you'd like to live.

I prefer Collierville for families or Arlington to get as far from the city as possible.

My nephew loves living in Mid-Town because all his yuppie friends live down there. But his $300K house cost $600K to build, and it's not even that nice. And remember that property taxes in Memphis city limits is 2x that of the county. And don't forget that sending two boys to MUS costs about $44K--after taxes.

Our daughter lives in Arlington in a very nice 3000 square foot house in a subdivision. It's peaceful enough that she avoids the city traffic and congestion.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:59 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
When someone mentions Fed Ex corporate headquarters, which building are they speaking of? The small building where Fred Smith is, the world headquarters at Hacks/Winchester, the large campus on Bailey Station? There are so many.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:14 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
When someone mentions Fed Ex corporate headquarters, which building are they speaking of? The small building where Fred Smith is, the world headquarters at Hacks/Winchester, the large campus on Bailey Station? There are so many.
I believe that the OP is referring to the FedEx Express world HQ in Southwind. The large campus on Bailey Station is mostly back of house operations, not an HQ. FedEx Logistics is relocating from the Crescent Center in East Memphis to Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis