Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:53 AM

23 posts, read 72,837 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to memphis in a month (along with my husband and 1 year old daughter) and would like to shop in the Memphis farmers market since I believe in sustainability and local organic produce. Has anyone been there? How is it?

Also, my husband will be away for the 1st month in training so I will be alone with my daughter and dog, but since we are moving to what people are calling a safe area (Bartlett) I am not too worried. But would it be ok for me to wonder to the MFM alone? Is in an ok area? I have read so many horror stories here that I am a bit concerned on going alone with my daughter... I could take my dog with me, he may lick the bad guys to death...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 10:06 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,374,704 times
It's in an extremely safe, upscale, wealthy, yuppie part of town.

They do not allow dogs in the market, but they do provide dog-sitting outside in the grassy areas. I believe it is free.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:16 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,876 times
I'd feel comfortable at the farmer's market....the parking is right there on the site.

IMO the farmer's market is "ok"...not that special...before I moved to Memphis I had a 5 acre farmette and a huge garden. I've been to the MFM a few times and it's a lot of products other than produce.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:17 AM

The market picks up as the summer goes on. I think due to weather issues this spring, there isn't a huge inventory right now. It was about half empty the other week. But as the summer goes on, it will have more and more vendors. Don't give up on it!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:38 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,876 times
I haven't been yet this year....figured Spring would not be the best.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the replies, at least from the webiste it looks like it has lots of stuff. From meats, chicken and pork to vegetables, baked goods and fruits!
I hope I am not disapointed! Regardless I like to support the local farmers.
I have heard also of the agricenter...what exactly is this?? They seem to have a farmers market also, but it doesn't look to be too varied...

How about the area to get there from Bartlett, is it a straight shot in highway or do I need to travel lots of tiny streets and risk the chance of getting lost??? How about public transportation, do you recommend it??

Thanks!!

Old 05-16-2008, 01:04 PM

Is there public transportation in Bartlett?

I would never set foot on a bus in Memphis. IMO. Not the safest idea.

I'm not sure how the farmer's market at the Agricenter has fared compared to the new downtown one. The Agricenter is at Germantown Rd and Walnut Grove, a large facility where they have different traveling shows, like boat shows, gun shows, etc. There are smaller buildings too for conventions.

If you are in Bartlett, the Agricenter is a straight shot down the huge Germantown Rd.

If you are talking about the downtown market, you can take the interstate around and get off on a downtown exit and manuever your way through the one-way streets to South Main. Or, take Sam Cooper til it ends at East Parkway, go down to Union, and take Union downtown. As long as you map it out ahead of time, you shouldn't get lost. It's at the corner of Main/Front and GE Patterson.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:10 PM

That sucks about public transportation. Unfortunately it is the same here in South Florida, so I guess I'm used to it.
Thanks for the replies and directions
I am looking forward to moving, at the beginning I was a bit hesitant at the thought of leaving my family and a town I am super familiar with for a unknown town where I know no one. And after reading some of the posts I was downright TERRIFED. Until I read the forum for Miami, it is also frightening, reality is what it is.
But I now know we won't be living in the middle of the gettho so I feel better about the move! Every city has its shady areas...

Old 05-16-2008, 01:31 PM

Exactly. Miami can be a great city, but it also has a ton of crime. You just have to be careful and know where not to go, even if it means avoiding half the city

Most of Bartlett is fine, and none of it would be considered dangerous. There are parts that aren't great and are near crime ridden areas, but nothing in Bartlett is going to be gang-land that you'd find in north or south Memphis.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:53 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,480,865 times
I would think the Dade county trans system is a little more reliable than MATA...but you could call the MATA hotline to see how many transfers you would have to make..at least one I am assuming to get from Bartlett to Downtown. I grew up taking the city bus from east memphis to whitehaven...it took a little over an hour and I had one transfer. MataTransit | Memphis, TN > Home
You can put your origin and destination and get your trip....and if you get on the wrong bus don't fret. Just let the driver know and they will help. I have experience with this- or call 274-MATA and let them know your location and where you need to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis