Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:10 PM

25 posts, read 111,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelfanman View Post
I am sorry that the only crimes that white people are accused of committing involve keeping people like you out of their neighborhoods. Isn't it ashame that the only way a tax paying citizen can feel safe in the city is to spend over 20k a year to send their children to private school and move to a boring suburb over 30 minutes away from downtown just to avoid being shot and robbed. This is what happens when only five percent of the tax paying city supports the rest of the bums and welfare queens. Disgusting.
Pure ignorance! The demise of Hickory Hill and other areas of Memphis after the annexation is because of Section 8 reciepients......not because of a skin color. All different races are on Section 8. If you really want to get technical about things, I work in MS. Guess who has the higher percentage rate of food stamps????? It's not Black or Hispanic, so there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarbee82 View Post
I use to live in the Kirby High School district and moved away about 10 years ago, I recently visited. WTF happen to that area. It use to be so nice and clean and surburban. I know that the city of Memphis annexed the area, I here it is nicknamed Hickory Hood. Why is it that the city of Memphis annex area, knowing that they cannot "support" the areas.

You sure know what to say. Just Tennennesse it is a real WTF State. No job and this work at will state should change Memphis is a joke You got boyblunder for the mayor. kat woman on the board and you know who batman is. is this town gothem city. Its a new day Memphis, stop voting in the jocker and the riddler to run this sick infested city.
because they are not helping you all at all. Temp jobs no money high ass
tax. Schools is a joke. And Memphis you got some people who got degrees here so why do you need to go get some man who look like he from Iran to run you school borad. Give back and use someone who went to Memphis City School. That is why you done got f..k in the ass. Hell Fred Smith on everyone in half of Memphis if he pull up out of here we would be like Detroit M. Are the third world. Low paying jobs want everyone on the welfare. For get Hickory Hill Hood what ever the city of Memphis is mest up ok so stop saying Black heaven and South Memphis Westwood and North North and what every part of Memphis you in. Untill you start let people here make real money. The City of Memphis is the Hood State.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:57 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereitis View Post

You sure know what to say. Just Tennennesse it is a real WTF State. No job and this work at will state should change Memphis is a joke You got boyblunder for the mayor. kat woman on the board and you know who batman is. is this town gothem city. Its a new day Memphis, stop voting in the jocker and the riddler to run this sick infested city.
because they are not helping you all at all. Temp jobs no money high ass
tax. Schools is a joke. And Memphis you got some people who got degrees here so why do you need to go get some man who look like he from Iran to run you school borad. Give back and use someone who went to Memphis City School. That is why you done got f..k in the ass. Hell Fred Smith on everyone in half of Memphis if he pull up out of here we would be like Detroit M. Are the third world. Low paying jobs want everyone on the welfare. For get Hickory Hill Hood what ever the city of Memphis is mest up ok so stop saying Black heaven and South Memphis Westwood and North North and what every part of Memphis you in. Untill you start let people here make real money. The City of Memphis is the Hood State.

Please google "hooked on phonics" and put in an order in ASAP. Your post is completely incoherent. My head hurts after trying to read that garbage.

http://www.hookedonphonics.com/

Old 06-28-2013, 01:55 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,101,803 times
Default Is the entire Hickory Hill area a ghetto?

I'm from Washington State and I've looked at many areas of the Hickory Hill area on Google Maps and some areas seem to look better than the others, some areas looks like a clean, suburban neighborhood, some others looks really run down and in between.

I know the majority of the Hickory Hill area is covered in yellow but I'm curious to know what are the better sections of Hickory Hill and the worst sections.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:31 AM

188 posts, read 372,796 times
I wouldn't live in any part of Hickory Hill. Even the better areas are surrounded by bad and you would put yourself in danger just to fill up or buy groceries.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:33 AM

62 posts, read 194,662 times
Some areas are better than others, but if you have a choice of where to live, make sure you are considering all of your options. Hickory Hill areas tend to change quickly.

To answer your question, the areas to avoid would be the Flowering Peach and Mendenhall area (western boundary). The Riverdale and Shelby Drive area (Southeastern section) has some nicer neighborhoods, but you still have to be careful.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:04 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,930 times
The areas in the 38141 zip code south of Shelby Dr. and east of Ross Rd. are pretty nice. There are no huge apartment complexes in that area to attract a large population of super low class residents.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:06 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,707 times
It's about average for Memphis. It's obviously nicer than North Memphis, South Memphis, Frayser, Orange Mound. Not terrible ghetto. Still not a "desirable" area by any means. Lots of run down apartments. Some fairly nice houses, but still an area with plenty of problems. I wouldn't recommend the area. North of 385 is better.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:58 PM

448 posts, read 870,834 times
When several housing projects were torn down in the late 90s and early 2000s, many of the residents of those housing projects were "dumped" in Hickory Hill via Section 8. Whites and middle class blacks moved away. The national chain restaurants, movie theaters and even the mall all closed when they left and the area subsequently sank.

Anecdotally, I can remember visiting an apartment complex in Hickory Hill around 2001 or so noticed a lot of shopping carts in the complex. I asked why the carts were there, and they told me that some of the residents do not have cars so they would push the shopping cart all the way home from the grocery store. It was at that point that I knew that Hickory Hill was not the same place it once was. Some even jokingly refer to it as "Hickory Hood" now.

All of that said, I still would not refer to Hickory Hill as a "ghetto". You will not find crack houses, burned out homes, or derelict buildings with gang graffiti there. If you want to see a real ghetto, go visit parts of the post-apocalyptic hellhole known as Detroit (or Camden, NJ or East St. Louis, IL) where you will find peeling homes, flooded roads, old rusted abandoned cars, and blocks of neglected front yards...THAT is not Hickory Hill

Old 06-28-2013, 04:07 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,101,803 times
I've had noticed that the areas closer to Mendenhall and Hickory Hill Roads looked trashy and run down but the areas east of Kirby looked a lot nicer, I also noticed that many of the shopping areas west of Riverdale on Winchester looks rundown and abandoned, it's a shame that the areas going towards Hacks Cross is getting bad now compared to before, I was really impressed with the areas going towards Holmes Road at the South end of Hickory Hill, much of the Hickory Hill area didn't look nearly as rundown compared to the areas of North Memphis, South Memphis, parts of Whitehaven and the fringes of downtown, where exactly is the Orange Mound area at?

I have heard stories that the Hickory Hill was once a nice middle to upper class area up until when they've annexed the area into the Memphis city limits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis