Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:23 PM

448 posts, read 870,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post

I have heard stories that the Hickory Hill was once a nice middle to upper class area up until when they've annexed the area into the Memphis city limits
That is correct. It wasn't so much the annexation as it was the fact that the Memphis Housing Authority "dumped" many former residents of the housing projects in that area. (see my post above)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 09:06 PM

428 posts, read 849,051 times
This topic has been beaten to death. Go through the forum mopac1980 and search Hickory Hill and you will see this topic has been covered too many times already. To answer your question the 38115 zip code portion is not so great while the 38141 zip code part is fiine. I have a professional job and live in the 38141 part but I do some shopping and errands in the 38115 part on occassion. I do not fear getting shot or being robbed. Then again I do not do stupid things that would make me target or walk around looking like a mark ready to get robbed. Also I am African-American and I do not fear my own people and I know which ones to avoid. Also the qoute above about the Southwind area going down hill is absurd. 38125 zip code has a median family income of $72,587, only 7.7% on food stamps, close to 40% have college degrees etc... Oh I forgot it is 75% Black so that means it is ghetto and on a downward spiral. Then when Blacks start moving to Collierville, Bartlett, and Lakeland in mass (it's going to happen so if that scares you you might as well move to Oakland, TN or Tipton county) what are you going to do. Lol. If you think the Southwind area near hacks cross and 38125 zip code and Cordova and the 38141 zip code are ghetto you have one of two problems. Either you need to be on medication or your racist. The statistics do not back up labeling these areas as ghetto.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickyb View Post
Some people automatically equate having a large black population as being ghetto. That may be true in some cities and it might be true to a large extent around Hickory Hill for sure.

For me, the whole area is bad. Even parts of Midtown in a 3 block direction you can be in a ghetto/next to 600k houses ! which is quite amazing and I would never live in a section like that.

Bad areas ? hell, all over, like around Ross and the old mall even going east past Kirby. The nasty stuff is even encroaching all around Hacks/Win ! The nasty stuff is also present and gaining in and around Cordova in several places ! but definitely it's already appearing even around the FedEx area and Southwind too. I believe that within 3 years the whole Winchester corridor will be ghetto to the Collierville limit, so will the area around wolfchase mall
Could you define nasty stuff?

Old 06-28-2013, 09:58 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,707 times
I can't speak for anybody else, but the old BestBuy and KMart shopping center at the corner of Riverdale and Winchester certainly qualifies as nasty in my book.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:21 PM

845 posts, read 2,542,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bickyb View Post
Some people automatically equate having a large black population as being ghetto. That may be true in some cities and it might be true to a large extent around Hickory Hill for sure.

For me, the whole area is bad. Even parts of Midtown in a 3 block direction you can be in a ghetto/next to 600k houses ! which is quite amazing and I would never live in a section like that.

Bad areas ? hell, all over, like around Ross and the old mall even going east past Kirby. The nasty stuff is even encroaching all around Hacks/Win ! The nasty stuff is also present and gaining in and around Cordova in several places ! but definitely it's already appearing even around the FedEx area and Southwind too. I believe that within 3 years the whole Winchester corridor will be ghetto to the Collierville limit, so will the area around wolfchase mall

You are generalizing and really do not know what you are talking about. You start your comment talking about people thinking any area with a large black population is bad and then display the same behavior. The only thing that would make one think the areas you are talking about bad is the perception that since a large population of black people are there, it must be bad. Those areas (Hacks Cross/Winchester and Cordova) are nice areas overall. There is little crime in those areas and several nice homes and good neighborhoods. There just happens to be several middle class black people living there, which makes the area bad in some people's mind. An area is not a ghetto just because it is no longer lilly white. Those areas will be mostly the same in 3 years. People have been saying what you are saying about Cordova for over a decade and the area is still doing pretty well. Just becase you want your perception to become reality does not mean it is going to happen. Those areas are very similar to Bartlett and Desoto County in terms of property value, crime, and income. Would you say Bartlet and DC are going to be bad areas in 3 years?

Last edited by Tigertate; 06-28-2013 at 10:34 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post

I think you know what he or she means. It just seems to be the way a lot of people in this region think. Once an area reaches that magic 30% or more black population figure you start hearing the "Ohh, that is a bad or declining area" comments.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Well the shopping center at the corner of Winchester and Hacks Cross is nothing like that one. All the businesses on Winchester moved near or east of 385. The only thing that makes the shopping center at Riverdale "nasty" is the fact that all the buildings are vacant. Its not like there is huge crime in that shopping center, its just that everything moved east.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:54 PM

329 posts, read 636,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
I can't speak for anybody else, but the old BestBuy and KMart shopping center at the corner of Riverdale and Winchester certainly qualifies as nasty in my book.
Actually in that area in past year and a half it looks better . You have Planet Fitness , Viteanan food (some international grocery store), Goodwill, a tenneseee cosmetology school being built ground up, smoothie king opening, Prîve (restaurant I guess) and few more places all opened up in that time frame. So that in itself tells me the area isn't so bad with business coming in shop .

Old 06-29-2013, 09:27 AM

30% does seem to be the magic threshold.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:14 PM

405 posts, read 823,078 times
Quote:
30% does seem to be the magic threshold.
LOL, yeah it does. I wonder how that got to be the magic number?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis