Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 01:10 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,315 times

Advertisements

hopefully there will be a few things

and no, LEAVING , is NOT a good answer!!!!

Old 03-16-2007, 01:36 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,373,861 times
Ha, "leaving" would be a clever answer though!

I love the variety of restaurants. Honestly, I love food and I hate being in a town where the options are Chili's, Applebee's, etc. I love having a variety of restaurants and small food stores that offers so many different things to eat, like cuban, sushi, pasta, thai, chinese, french, german, irish, cajun, caribbean, and yes...even 'southern' food.

I like the fact that Memphis is very spread out (in a way). Although I hate driving to the burbs and I hate the traffic, the cookie cutter houses, the strip malls, etc...I do like the fact that it's an option and it's not far off. In large cities like NYC, you can't be in the midst of Manhattan and drive 20 minutes to find Wal Marts, houses with big yards, and shopping malls that you can drive to without taking a cab or parking in a garage.

I love the old historic homes that in a lot of cases, are entirely affordable and well maintained.

I like the fact that there are several colleges here, if you need one. A couple private, and one major (plus the UT's medical schools). Plus numerous community colleges and bible schools, if that's your speed.

Memphis is relatively close to St. Louis, Nashville, Atlanta, and NOLA, if you want to get away for a few days.

I think Memphis has a lot of touristy spots, which is great for the local economy. There are also several good places for locals to see once or twice a year, like the zoo, art musuem, botanic center, Pink Palace.

We have an NBA team (if you can call the Grizzlies a team), plus the Redbirds which are the most fun games to attend, IMO.

There is a variety of bars to hang out at at night, from collegey places, to touristy places, dance clubs, gay clubs, pubs, sports bars, holes in the wall, etc.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:42 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Good Barbecue

Traffic is not too bad for a city its size

Relatively laid back

Mild winters, but still 4 seasons

Rock and Roll history, has some character to it (I don't see many songs written about Toledo)

Cheap cost of living

Old 03-16-2007, 04:53 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Good Barbecue

Traffic is not too bad for a city its size

Relatively laid back

Mild winters, but still 4 seasons

Rock and Roll history, has some character to it (I don't see many songs written about Toledo)

Cheap cost of living
In fact, it seems I've read somewhere that "Memphis" appears in more songs than any other city in America. I think that's pretty cool.

I absolutely LOVE Memphis for many of the reasons Pearlbob and Dd714 said.

-really cool urban neighborhoods where people know their neighbors and walk to their neighborhood cafes, pubs, bakeries, pizzerias, sandwich shops, etc.

-fantastic, independently-owned restaurants

-beautiful, old architecture

-Memphis in May!

-the Sunset Symphony on the banks of the Mississippi River

-Beale Street

-classic movies at the Orpheum in the summer

-Midtown

-Overton Square

-the downtown streetcars

-Dixon Gallery and Gardens

-beautiful parks

-panda bears at the zoo (one of only four zoos in the country with pandas)

-a nice airport with non-stop flights to Europe

Old 03-18-2007, 04:43 PM

113 posts, read 529,600 times
Southern charm

Variety of ethnic restaurants

Being a "river city"

The historic homes

The BBQ

The convenience of traveling to neighboring states

Old 03-22-2007, 06:06 PM

201 posts, read 1,070,479 times
-Strolling down Beale Street at sunset on a warm summer afternoon

-The Orpheum

- The BBQ choices

-The Redbirds games (can enjoy at day at the ballpark without spending a fortune)

-The Zoo

-No traffic (on most days) and you can be anywhere within 30 minutes

-Overall friendly atmosphere

-Many historical & educational activities from which to choose

-Centrally located

-Medical Hub

Old 04-24-2007, 06:54 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,315 times
bump...

lets get more good stuff!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:13 PM

117 posts, read 488,298 times
Graceland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-25-2007, 09:11 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,373,861 times
I like the Memphis, for the most part, is very casual and you can wear jeans just about anywhere, all year. Very laid back. Yet, we do have many upper scale restaurants if you want to dress up, many up scale events you can attend, etc if you want to dress up for the night. IE - dinner at Chez Philipe and then a show at the Orpheum. Or, dinner at Jim's Place and then go to the zoo's annual black tie fundraiser.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:49 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,604 times
How about the Peabody ducks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: