Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 8,207 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to memphis to attend U of M for grad school. I've lived in nyc for the past 7 years, although I grew up in Ohio - Memphis is actually very similar to where I grew up. My classes will all be in the medical district, but I can't decide where I'd like to live. I visited a week ago and I found some great apts, the most convenient to me in the South Main Arts District.

How is the safety there? I'm not used to feeling unsafe in my own home. In nyc, the safety issue is "where am I least likely to get mugged on the way home from the subway?" not, "where am I least likely to have my car stolen or for someone to break into my apt?"

Is there any kind of nightlife there? Is it safe to drive/walk around at night?

I also really liked Germantown, which I know is a MUCH longer commute, but it seems easy to get involved in horseback riding, dance classes, and volunteering, and it seemed really safe and friendly. Safety is important to me, due to a lot of the crap I've had to put up with in nyc, as well as the fact that I literally will know no one when I move - the last thing I want is to feel unsafe AND alone.

Is there anywhere that is a good mix of the two lifestyles that isn't a huge commute?

I don't necessarily want my life to be the same as it is here, where all I do is go to school and then go out to bars, which I'm afraid will happen if I live in the city. Any advice???

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 08:03 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,381,866 times
Keep in mind, the "district" is tiny. A few blocks. It's completely safe, a highlight of the city. There are a few bars and after-hours clubs.

Midtown would be a good mix between downtown and Germantown, however midtown is basically the same distance away, it would not lessen a drive at all.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:19 AM

209 posts, read 812,369 times
I live in South Main and love it. There are always events going on down here which is fun and a great way to get to know your neighbors. Most notably, I'm really looking forward to the Farmer's Market, which starts this Saturday and will be held each Saturday until Halloween. There are a handful of bars in this neighborhood, but of course TONS more within just a short walk to the core of downtown. On the last Friday of each month (year-round) the Trolley Tour takes place which is basically just a big social time for the neighborhood (and whoever else wants to come down). All the shops and galleries stay open late and many of them serve wine/beer. It's a fun time to walk around, explore some of the galleries and bump into your friends along the way.

As for the safety, I consider it to be very safe. Unfortunately, car break-ins aren't uncommon, but they seem to happen most when things have been left out in the open on the floorwells or seats. There is a major panhandler problem in downtown, but they seem to stay out of the South Main area almost entirely since there are few tourists here.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: