Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:35 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
having trouble with the logic. all cities have crime hence all cities have danger hence danger & crime are non issues.
therefore there are no problems in memphis.
that is not a guard with a 9mm in front of rendezvous the people walking in front of peabody down the street are not wide eyed and scared (black and white) that 6 ft 4 AA young and athletic parking garage supervisor in front of rendezvous is not scared and he is not locking himself in the booth despite an armed guard 20 ft away in plain sight and a restaurant in plain view full of people. there is nothing wrong in memphis and never was--- come on in ----everything is ok.
signed
a former chicago resident
s side cicero
btw a non white
What a very odd post. You created a really cool straw man, then broke him down like nobody's business. Way to go.

Of course, crime is a problem in Memphis. Who said it wasn't? Oh, your straw man said that. Well, shame on him.

If you really saw that scene at Rendevouz, then you've seen much more than I have. I've lived and worked in Memphis for a long time (and currently work in Downtown Memphis three days per week; Little Rock the other two), and I have never seen anyone brandishing a firearm in public.

Maybe I just go on the wrong day? Next time you and Straw Man are in town, let me know. Sounds like your rib-runs are much more exciting than mine.

(BTW, as an aside, if you're really that familiar with Memphis, why are you visiting Rendevouz? It's a tourist trap. We have much better food than Rendevouz, which, quite frankly, is pretty lousy.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 03:35 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsaw View Post
Any number of explanations...but with all the people here who live or work downtown, why doesn't someone just go by there at night this weekend and report what you see?
And go downtown at night, after dark?! No way, too scary!

I've been there after dark, and I have not seen a person with a gun standing outside the door. It's been a couple years though. Maybe that alleyway has had a rapid influx of crime since I've last dined there.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
What a very odd post. You created a really cool straw man, then broke him down like nobody's business. Way to go.

Of course, crime is a problem in Memphis. Who said it wasn't? Oh, your straw man said that. Well, shame on him.

If you really saw that scene at Rendevouz, then you've seen much more than I have. I've lived and worked in Memphis for a long time (and currently work in Downtown Memphis three days per week; Little Rock the other two), and I have never seen anyone brandishing a firearm in public.

Maybe I just go on the wrong day? Next time you and Straw Man are in town, let me know. Sounds like your rib-runs are much more exciting than mine.

(BTW, as an aside, if you're really that familiar with Memphis, why are you visiting Rendevouz? It's a tourist trap. We have much better food than Rendevouz, which, quite frankly, is pretty lousy.)
straw dogs? dont know any. i dont know i walk in i eat i come out i open my eyes i open my ears, i see i hear. that was not that tough. lots of locals ate there food seems ok ok not super.
hey wait a minute you are sayin the food is lousy so you have not been eating there right, when is the last time you actually went and stood in front of rendezvous? last time you looked at the guard out front? i appreciate your love of your city however, i think you are posting on CDF about how things should be in memphis not how things are in memphis.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-04-2009 at 07:38 PM..

Old 06-05-2009, 04:19 AM

30 posts, read 80,317 times
The poster said, "I was raised poor, but not in poverty, so I don't understand why there is so much anger and such a lack of respect for human life among so many of those people that it leads to such violent behavior."

Given the fact that the majority of the poor--"those people"--in Memphis do not commit crimes and that the majority are no more likely to be criminals than the middle-class in East Memphis, what I don't understand is why you seem surprised, particularly given your background as poor. Sounds to me, that the majority of poor in Memphis are not so different from you growing up.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:44 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Where do people get this story about an armed guard at the Rendevouz?!

This insanity has got to stop. Memphis is simply not the war-zone that people make it out to be.
i get it from sharon the manager of rendezvous i just spoke to her on the phone.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineywoodsfats View Post
The poster said, "I was raised poor, but not in poverty, so I don't understand why there is so much anger and such a lack of respect for human life among so many of those people that it leads to such violent behavior."

Given the fact that the majority of the poor--"those people"--in Memphis do not commit crimes and that the majority are no more likely to be criminals than the middle-class in East Memphis, what I don't understand is why you seem surprised, particularly given your background as poor. Sounds to me, that the majority of poor in Memphis are not so different from you growing up.
You missed my point entirely. Yes, the majority of people - rich, poor or middle class - are law abiding citizens. You can't, however, ignore the fact that the poor areas of town are where a disproportionate amount of the violent crime takes place. How much violent crime takes place in Germantown, East Memphis or Collierville compared to Frayser, South Memphis, etc.? I grew up poor, but I didn't grow up angry. That's why I don't understand the dynamics involved that cause people to so willingly turn to violence.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:54 PM

455 posts, read 1,558,617 times
Just for fun I decided to spend the afternoon downtown. Took the trolley from the south Main district to Union, then walked to the Rendevouz. Hadn't eaten there in a while. Nothing much had changed. While there I took the trouble to check out any security guards. There in fact is one as of 3 p.m. this Saturday. He's obviously a private guard and wears a dark blue uniform and is stationed at the entrance. Unfortunately, I can't say for certain if he's armed. It was a little hard to tell and it seemed impolite and maybe even risky to address him by saying "Sir, are you packing or aren't you...inquiring minds need to know".

First time I saw him he was seated and second time I couldn't see his left side. On his right side was a silver object or objects at the rear of his belt. I don't think that looked like a gun...a bunch of keys maybe. Anyway, I would say a definitive answer is still lacking...not that the subject matters one bit...but I just thought some of you who have been following this would find it interesting.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:14 PM

32 posts, read 232,507 times
after reading some of those posts i really dont want to move to Memphis

Old 09-26-2009, 10:30 AM

165 posts, read 548,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisa517 View Post
after reading some of those posts i really dont want to move to Memphis
I thought the same thing, but I've lived here almost 2 months and seen nothing shady (except some streets that were obviously in a bad neighborhood, that you obviously shouldn't go into). But I've walked downtown at night many times, walked midtown at night many times...not scary. Don't let the negativity scare you away.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:15 AM

6 posts, read 12,874 times
'Yes, you'll be safe in Memphis'. This isn't completely true. Personally, I have been disheartened at the amount of crime in this city. It has one of the higher crime rates in the country and the crimes span out into more rural areas where we live. Gang-related crimes like robberies -- three in one week in my neighborhood alone. I'm not stranger to crime, but for me it's excessive and that feeling that I'm not safe, regardless of how nice the area is is one of the reasons why we will be relocating.
For what it's worth, it's not negativity, it's reality. Be prepared to be on guard on some level unless you live in Germantown or Collierville, which have a much safer feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis