Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,043 times

Advertisements

Is the Med a decent place to work? What about quality of care and employee morale? I know it is a "troubled" hospital, was considering an opportunity there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 10:24 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
From everything I have heard, it is not a good place to work. It is an even worse place for patient care. Corruption, debt, poor pay, etc.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:20 PM

82 posts, read 279,171 times
The Med is where they take Criminals and drug addicts they pick up off the street. It's about what you'd expect from a government funded hospital. My wife did a clinical there for nursing school. Terrible place. When I heard my parents' neighbor had a stroke and was taken to the med I was more concerned about him being at the med than I was about the stroke. He's home now less than a week after his stroke.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:34 AM

21 posts, read 72,252 times
I bet if you or yours (Heaven Forbid!) were to be in some sort of serious accident, you'd pray they be sent to the Med's trauma unit. It may not be the best for chronic care, but it is seriously limited in its funding (Thanks Mississippi and Arkansas!). For frontline critical care, it's the best hands down...someone please prove me wrong.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:00 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
Correct, the Med has a stellar trauma unit. (It's where they take all the gun shot victims who have no insurance after all!) Once you have been stabalized, you want to be transferred out to a different hospital though.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:10 AM

3 posts, read 6,686 times
I am a trauma nurse at The MED and I signed up to offer a bit of insider information regarding the facility.

The MED is an innovative leader in the United States for delivering trauma care. We are dedicated to providing quick and efficient care for those who are victims of traumatic injury. ANYBODY can become a victim of trauma regardless of their insurance status. Yes, we do receive a lot of GSWs and KSWs that do not have insurance. On the other hand, we also receive just as many patients who do have private insurance (typically those who are injured as a result of a same level fall, motor-vehicle accident, or a farming accident).

We have a specialty team of nurses, trauma surgeons, nurse anesthetists, nurse practitioners, etc that do NOTHING but trauma. We are a seperate department than the Emergency Room at The MED. One of our unique characteristics that sets our department out from others around the nation is that we have our own dedicated operating rooms, recovery room, intensive care unit, etc. We ranging between being the 3rd or 4th busiest level one trauma center in the United States based on the volume of patients that we treat each year. We also are the busiest traumatic brain injury treatment center in the nation. Trauma is big business and it's what we do.

Having sad all of that.....I wouldn't come here for treatment of anything but a traumatic injury. And if I wasn't a hardcore trauma nuse....I would not work in this facility period. I can go to other systems in the city and make more money, have better benefits, and have few demands placed on me and my license.

Just a few words from an insider,
Med Trauma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis