Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:53 PM

4 posts, read 13,742 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband has been relocated to Memphis and has been there a few months and my daughters and I are suppose to be moving out there the middle of this year. Before my husband took the job we didnt have much time to research the area or anything like that. Well since he has been there I have been reading about tornadoes and was reading about one that happened last year I believe and from my understanding it was pretty bad and to be honest this has scared the crap out of me. Where I am from we only get earthquakes and the thought of tornadoes just makes me want to stay as far away from that side of the country as possible. Before I started reading about the tornadoes I was sure that this move was going to be something good for my family and I (living in the right area) and it's amazing how one thing can alter your entire view. Ok sorry for the run on. I do have questions.
How do you cope with knowing that any day there could be a tornado? Do you just deal with it?
How bad and how often do you get them?
Do you have sirens? Are they loud enough to wake you from your sleep?
I am so back and forth about this move I feel like its a death trap but at the same time there are millions of people who deal with living in the tornado areas who are just fine.

Anybody Please any answers would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:15 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
Tornadoes dont come just any day. They aren't random like earthquakes. The weatherman usually can tell you a week in advance if a strong storm system is coming through. This usually happens in the spring and summer.

The sirens are usually loud enough to wake you from your sleep, but more than likely you'll be awake watching the news if a tornado is in the area. And even when the sirens go off, i dont automatically run for cover. If a tornado touched down on the other end of the county, i don't have to worry about it where i live. And most tornadoes that touch down dont really do anything. Less than 1% are stronger than EF4. It's common to hear about tornadoes touching down, but then not hearing anything about them afterwards because they didn't cause any damage or injuries.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:10 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Have you already done a search for "tornado" on the Memphis and the Tennesse forums? Lots of discussions with good links to follow.
If it's any reassurance I only ever saw one tornado the twenty plus years I lived in Memphis.
Statiscally, I think you'd be more likely to die fom a car accident than from a tornado here.

Oh, and they test the sirens once a week, Wednesday afternoons(?), so don't panic the first time you hear one.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
There are many other things to worry about here other than tornados

I've never seen one, nor do I know anyone who lives here who has seen one or had any effects of one. I think last year there was some big wind (questionable tornado) that hit a fairly empty mall. Inside of a city, especially on the bluff by a huge river, we don't see tornados. Usually they hit fields and bit empty areas (thus, the trailer park stereotype).

Old 01-06-2009, 09:28 AM

1,292 posts, read 5,002,512 times
As others have stated, I've lived here my entire life and never seen a tornado, never had one hit within miles of me. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, so you pay attention to the weather reports on TV when the weather is threatening.

For some reason, it seems that tornadoes in the area (and most of the other really severe weather, for that matter) tend to go either north of south of Memphis proper...to Millington or Tipton County, or south of the Mississippi line. There are exceptions, but they seem to be rare. According to my meteoroligist friend, the thing about Memphis being protected by the bluff is a myth. For a storm system that might reach as high as 30,000 feet, those bluffs aren't even a perceptable bump. Ever notice how flat the area looks from an airplane?

Just don't live in a trailer park to the north of south of Memphis. Another unexplained phenomenon is why tornadoes seem to seek out trailer parks....

Old 01-06-2009, 09:32 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
I watched last year's tornado on TV. Before it was being televised, I was watching the local weather guys track everythign on radar. I knew the exact path it was taking so I could easily take cover. About an hour before that tornado touched down, the radar showed circular motion above my house. I ran outside and watched a dark cloud that had a circular portion a little lower than the rest go directly over my house.

I can't hear our local tornado siren inside my house much less will it wake me. I use a weather radio from Radio Shack to wake me up. Even when it does go off, I rarely get up to check it on TV.

Are tornadoes something I fear on a daily basis? Not at all. Not even when there is bad weather. I'd much rather deal with them a few times a year than the unexpected quake that will hit here. And you are more likely to die here by a stray bullet from a gang shooting or in a car wreck caused by the nuts on the interstates.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 AM

232 posts, read 988,789 times
Seems like once or twice a year there is tornado activity in Shelby county. The news stations go into 'severe weather mode' and you pretty much know exactly when and where they are occurring. I have pictures from one that touched down last February. They are very destructive and deadly if they hit your area. I saw a large house flattened in Arlington, luckily it was unoccupied. When the sirens go off, and the news casters tell/show you where they are, take cover! I have 4 kids and we huddle in a 1/2 bath and cover up with blankets and pillows.

that being said, we don't live in fear of the weather. The drivers around here scare me more than anything. Do take them very seriously, as they are life-threatening, but know they are pretty rare and hopefully don't hit your exact location. If one does come your way, it's in God's hands at that point!

Old 01-06-2009, 04:07 PM

264 posts, read 1,151,724 times
Tornadoes are much easier than earthquakes. People here are probably more afraid of the New Madrid fault erupting than tornados. Ive never seen a tornado and ive lived here my entire life. If your really worried, make sure you got a good indoor closet or a bath tub. As mentioned before, you cant live your life in fear of any of that stuff, cuz if it happens...it happens.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:43 AM

754 posts, read 2,815,973 times
Q: What do a tornado and a TN divorce have in common?

A: Someone's gonna lose a trailer!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 AM

4 posts, read 13,742 times
Default Thanks

Thanks to all those who replied. After reading tons of articles I freaked out and you know what I think they write those things to freak you out lol. I'm glad I found this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis