Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:03 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,762 times

Advertisements

the Cupboard in Midtown..............everything homemade great and just try to have one small serving of Italian spinach.............yummmmm
even the meatloaf is great and I don't like meatloaf that much.......

Pete and Sam's............Memphis tradition.........go early on weekends or you will wait for a long, long time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 11:22 AM

35 posts, read 245,086 times
I have a few favorite Memphis restaurants that no one has mentioned (though Yums and Tops are oft-frequented places):

RP Tracks (university area on Walker Avenue): unpretentious sports bar atmosphere, rarely crowded, and probably has the best vegetarian menu selection in the whole city outside of Indian places and actual vegan restaurants.

Bogie's Deli (multiple locations): excellent muffaletta, huge variety of bagels (cherry!). Unpretentious.

Central Barbecue (two locations, one on Summer and one on Central over near the Pink Palace): personal favorite barbecue place in Memphis; try the Jamaican jerk wings!

Wang's Chinese (Highland, university area): Best. Chinese. Takeout. Ever.

Garibaldi's (Walker, university area, and Germantown): amazing Sicilian pizza.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:40 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,596 times
Talking your serve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowette View Post
I have a few favorite Memphis restaurants that no one has mentioned (though Yums and Tops are oft-frequented places):

RP Tracks (university area on Walker Avenue): unpretentious sports bar atmosphere, rarely crowded, and probably has the best vegetarian menu selection in the whole city outside of Indian places and actual vegan restaurants.

Bogie's Deli (multiple locations): excellent muffaletta, huge variety of bagels (cherry!). Unpretentious.

Central Barbecue (two locations, one on Summer and one on Central over near the Pink Palace): personal favorite barbecue place in Memphis; try the Jamaican jerk wings!

Wang's Chinese (Highland, university area): Best. Chinese. Takeout. Ever.

Garibaldi's (Walker, university area, and Germantown): amazing Sicilian pizza.

i agree about the muffaletta at bogie's. it is very good, and it actually tastes like a muffaletta. the jamaican jerk wings at central barbecue, if i am not mistaken, are a product you can buy through sysco. they are pretty good, even though jerk is a little too spicy for my tongue. wang's, as in chinese: not chicken, is one of my favorites, too. i didn't list it because of the prices; however, they do have wonderful food---and they will go out of their way to prepare most dishes from any of the provinces. try their whole presentation on snapper. beautiful and tastey. i have never tried garibaldi. not a big pizza fan most of the time.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:22 PM

530 posts, read 650,322 times
ok I have to give my vote to these
UTM area:
Tracks...awesome veg. and sweet potato fries are the best.
Super submarine shop...hello no better bread anywhere.
brother junipers...breakfast yummmm
Abbysianna(didn't spell it right) on pop..ethopian food at its best
India palace...love the lunch
off getwell there is this arabic grocery (libians own it) great, great, great
sushi..Sakura in germantown is the best
and last but not least if you want to splurge grasonni and sons(didn't spellit right either)
memphis is a mecca of culinary delight!

Old 06-01-2009, 03:48 PM

455 posts, read 1,559,645 times
So what kinds of places would we like to see that are not here now?

I think Summer Avenue east could use a good steakhouse. There used to be the Shanty Steak House but it went away several years back. Anyway, what I have in mind is something non-chain operated, not overly large, trendy, plush or expensive and basically a family type place with good food. I also think a catfish place that really specialized in that genre would do well in the Summer/240 area. Perhaps a reasonably priced Italian restaurant also in that same area. I would also like to see a good, decent German restaurant in Memphis...I don't even care where located.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 PM

8 posts, read 43,426 times
La Guadalupana is the best Mexican around. My kids request it at least once a week.Central BBQ is also wonderful. My nephew can't stand BBQ, but he eats their nachos and takes home a bottle of their sauce every time he comes to town.Little Persia/ Kebob International makes some good gyros and the best baba ghanouj I've found since leaving my Palestinian friends behind in Knoxville. I wish I could find some good, spicy falafel in Memphis, though.Westy's is also great. Their "rice and ___" dishes are the best fill-you-up meal around.Celtic Crossing used to be our go to spot, but the service has gotten so bad that even their potato leek soup can't reel me back in.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:39 AM

738 posts, read 2,576,191 times
Little Persia/ Kebob International also has the best hummus I've found around here!

Old 06-02-2009, 09:11 AM

16 posts, read 71,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
memphis is a mecca of culinary delight!

Memphis ? a mecca ??

perhaps you're joking ? I hope, or maybe just a 'tongue-in-cheek' comment ?

When I think of culinary destinations in North America, Memphis is not anywhere on the list for me because I tend to think about the fantastic food in NYC, New Orleans, Chicago, Miami, Atlanta, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Boston, DC, Toronto, and certainly Montreal...or even Vegas or Houston..

but Memphis as a "mecca" ?? perhaps in serving swine for sure.

My observations are my own, just based on traveling a lot and living in multiple cities.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:39 AM

738 posts, read 2,576,191 times
I totally agree PlatReader, especially if you're health conscious, or not a meat/BBQ eater!

That said, it's still fun to find the hidden treasures that we have here, this has been a great thread.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:56 PM

530 posts, read 650,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatReader View Post
Memphis ? a mecca ??

perhaps you're joking ? I hope, or maybe just a 'tongue-in-cheek' comment ?

When I think of culinary destinations in North America, Memphis is not anywhere on the list for me because I tend to think about the fantastic food in NYC, New Orleans, Chicago, Miami, Atlanta, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Boston, DC, Toronto, and certainly Montreal...or even Vegas or Houston..

but Memphis as a "mecca" ?? perhaps in serving swine for sure.

My observations are my own, just based on traveling a lot and living in multiple cities.
I too have traveled to many, many cities and countries. I also do not eat red meat or pork, so the bbq is out unless were talking chicken.
There are how ever many wonderful places to eat in memphis and almost any ethic food you could think of. Most are not well known or are out of the way hidden treasures ( and i have eaten at several not so grand places in memphis) but I choose to send out the positive, since that was what people really wanted to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis