Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:38 AM

455 posts, read 1,558,757 times

Advertisements

I thought it might be informative and helpful to list some of the places we frequent with some indication of what neighborhoods. Understand, I'm not referring to 5-Star restaurants here, reknowned chefs or pricey establishments usually reserved for special occasions. Carry out spots will do just fine, so will the less famous places where you don't usually find tourists. In other words, where nearby do we typically gravitate to over and over?

My area is east Memphis, for the most part Summer Avenue east. For carry out burgers and catfish sandwiches it's Hi Pockets Pool Hall (they won an award one year for best burgers or something like that); Jack's Rib Shack (frequently it's a pitcher of draft beer and spaghetti, ribs or tamales); Tops BBQ (there are two on Summer, both east and west of Highland); one of the two Sonics on Summer (fast food's OK for this topic too); Pancho's; Patrick's on Park; and Bryant's on Summer. For a quick snack, Planter's Peanuts on Summer. And the sno-cone place on Waring (can't remember the name) is now serving philly steak sandwiches..I'll have to try that.

About the only thing off limits for this? No fair on eating over the counter at a convenience store...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,373,861 times
There is still a Pancho's open in this city??? I did not know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsaw View Post
I thought it might be informative and helpful to list some of the places we frequent with some indication of what neighborhoods. Understand, I'm not referring to 5-Star restaurants here, reknowned chefs or pricey establishments usually reserved for special occasions. Carry out spots will do just fine, so will the less famous places where you don't usually find tourists. In other words, where nearby do we typically gravitate to over and over?

My area is east Memphis, for the most part Summer Avenue east. For carry out burgers and catfish sandwiches it's Hi Pockets Pool Hall (they won an award one year for best burgers or something like that); Jack's Rib Shack (frequently it's a pitcher of draft beer and spaghetti, ribs or tamales); Tops BBQ (there are two on Summer, both east and west of Highland); one of the two Sonics on Summer (fast food's OK for this topic too); Pancho's; Patrick's on Park; and Bryant's on Summer. For a quick snack, Planter's Peanuts on Summer. And the sno-cone place on Waring (can't remember the name) is now serving philly steak sandwiches..I'll have to try that.

About the only thing off limits for this? No fair on eating over the counter at a convenience store...

Old 04-28-2009, 02:46 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,166 times
There are at least two Pancho's still in Memphis -- Summer at White Station (full service) and Perkins near the old Mall of Memphis site (fast food).

There's also one in West Memphis (full service).

Old 04-28-2009, 02:56 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
East Memphis-
La Espiga for mexican pastries (inexpensive too!), yummmm. Summer, near Graham I think. There is a restaurant there in the same buliding too, but I never got brave enough to try it.
Used to go to The Cottage on Summer for breakfast years ago, the area has gotten kind of bad but the parking lot seems to stay pretty full on weekends FWIW
Gibsons Doughnuts on Mendenhall to get a late night sugar rush.
Second the vote for the sno-cone place. My kids loved that place.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:50 PM

480 posts, read 877,947 times
We live in East Memphis, south of Poplar. Our regular places include Huey's on Poplar, Three Little Pigs (good breakfast in addition to barbecue) and El Mezcal on Perkins. Bogies on Mt. Moriah has awesome bagels, and Memphis Pizza Cafe on Park is the best pizza.

We have young children, so for fast food we like the Taco Bell on Estate and Chick-Fil-A on Poplar--both have indoor playgrounds. When we're short on time and cash, as we often are, a Little Caesar's $5 hot-and-ready pizza fits the bill (Eastgate or Quince & Ridgeway).

And every now and again we HAVE to have some Jack Pirtle's on Mt. Moriah. Their biscuits and gravy are so yummy but are surely high in everything bad for you. DH likes their steak sandwich with everything, including gravy, slaw and pickles (yuck!)

When money's not so tight, we like Jarrett's on Quince, Half Shell on Mt. Moriah and Buckley's on Poplar.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:12 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,260 times
Jim's Place, love the atmosphere!
Las Tortugas Deli Mexicana (Germantown), bare bones, authentic Mexican
Automatic Slim's Tango Cafe, when I'm downtown.
Mayuri Indian Cuisine, sunday brunch.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:23 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,252 times
El Mezcal (Poplar and Perkins), Chapultepec (Poplar and Forrest Hill Irene), Casa Mexicana (64 and Germantown by Wolfchase), and Rio Loco on Union downtown for Mexican. Hueys (Poplar or Hacks Cross location), TJ Mulligans (Kirby and Quince), and Buckley's Lunch Bucket (Yates at Poplar) for a burger. The Arcade on South Main is usually pretty good for a meat and three meal when I'm downtown. For a non burger sandwich, I like Lenny's (now a chain but started in Memphis) and Jason's Deli. I'm not too much into fancy dining so I don't have much to add in that area.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:28 PM

232 posts, read 988,415 times
Cafe Ole' (Cooper-Young) is my wife's favorite 'local' restaurant. I love Lee Kan's in Collierville for to-go Chinese....it's a once a week habit! J Alexander's for to-go salads and their club sandwich, Captain John's barbecue in Collierville for lunch----awesome sandwich, fries and beans. With kids it is usually to-go, no matter what!

Old 04-30-2009, 12:44 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,284 times
one of my very favorite haunts is edo on summer. i have tried for years to get or figure out their sakura sauce. i believe it is clarified butter, teriyaki sauce, soy, and mayo. try it on scallops, shrimp or chicken. i love their lousiana roll, spider hand rolls, and, i think they have the best bar-b-q'd eel in west tn---even better than the very authentic three or four respectable japanese restaurants in jackson, tn. for great fried chicken, nothing can really beat good ole gus.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisake View Post
We live in East Memphis, south of Poplar. Our regular places include Huey's on Poplar, Three Little Pigs (good breakfast in addition to barbecue) and El Mezcal on Perkins. Bogies on Mt. Moriah has awesome bagels, and Memphis Pizza Cafe on Park is the best pizza.

We have young children, so for fast food we like the Taco Bell on Estate and Chick-Fil-A on Poplar--both have indoor playgrounds. When we're short on time and cash, as we often are, a Little Caesar's $5 hot-and-ready pizza fits the bill (Eastgate or Quince & Ridgeway).

And every now and again we HAVE to have some Jack Pirtle's on Mt. Moriah. Their biscuits and gravy are so yummy but are surely high in everything bad for you. DH likes their steak sandwich with everything, including gravy, slaw and pickles (yuck!)

When money's not so tight, we like Jarrett's on Quince, Half Shell on Mt. Moriah and Buckley's on Poplar.
ilsake, i have not been to the half shell in about four years. they use to have a wonderful fried poboy sandwhich and great softshell crab sandwhiches. do they still? mike curry was the seafood station chef for many years. he was really good w/ his craft...his folks were originally from the lower lousianna coast...mike had a way w/ that crab. i remember several good selections of wine; too, now that i think about it, pretty good whiskey sours, dirty vodka martinis, and single malt scotch. good heavens, i'm beginning to remember too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis