Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:34 PM

32 posts, read 118,356 times

Advertisements

I have tried several in town.

1.The first is the so called "the rated #1 Chinese restaurant" in the Memphis city--Wang's Madarin House. Well, the food offered there are not Chinese food, but American food. So disappointed. But the environment is ok, service is good. Stupid fortune cookies...

2. the asian place express
OMG, the foods sucks, the envionment suck and service ok. Again, American food. Stupid fortune cookies...

3. Red sun buffet
It is ok. But the roast duck is a joke, so are the sushi rolls. But well, compared to the above two, it is ok. Stupid fortune cookies...

4. grand buffet
Sushi is ok. I mean compared to the Todai japanese buffet in LV. But why on earth there is no fruit in a buffet restaurant? no Stupid fortune cookies...

I just don't get it. Why on earth almost all the Chinese restaruants in the U.S are so bad? (except for the ones in the cities that has a Chinatown, like Chicago and New York. But, the environment is bad).

My mom visited us from China last year and said all the Chinese restaurants here are humiliations to Chinese people (sweet foods, no windows, dirty, bad service, very low quality rice and stupid fourtune cookies).

It seems like the image of China in U.S. remains the same over the years. I don't mean to critize anyone. I am just so dissapointed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 02:55 PM

122 posts, read 441,935 times
Well, you sound a little angry, so I'm scared to tell you that my favorite is Pei Wei...but it is.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:55 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
Which Wang's did you go to?

Old 08-27-2009, 02:57 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/memph...e-memphis.html

Old 08-27-2009, 03:08 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenseven View Post
My mom visited us from China last year and said all the Chinese restaurants here are humiliations to Chinese people (sweet foods, no windows, dirty, bad service, very low quality rice and stupid fourtune cookies).

It seems like the image of China in U.S. remains the same over the years. I don't mean to critize anyone. I am just so dissapointed...
That's ok. To folks in China, American food is McDonald's and KFC, neither of which is a fair representation of good, traditional American food.

Fact is most of the Chinese restaurants in Memphis (and everywhere else in this part of the country) are owned and run by entrepreneurial Taiwanese immigrants. We don't have many mainland Chinese here; thus, we're largely missing the genuine Mandarin and Szechaun (and other regions) food experience.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:09 PM

738 posts, read 2,576,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnr4411 View Post
Well, you sound a little angry, so I'm scared to tell you that my favorite is Pei Wei...but it is.
hehe, my favorite is Pew Wei too.

But your mom is right, this is not Chinese food, there is no way they could stay so tiny! (sorry, that's a stereotype, isn't it?) We need someone to move here, open a restaurant and show us what it's really like!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:10 PM

No offense, folks.
But I think the Chinese food you like may not be authentic Chinese food, or the one we won't like.
But I think the restaurant owners are right since American customers are very easily dealt with-- you like ordering easy-made food and tip well. (We don't have the tradition or habit of tipping, so sometimes we don't tip well--dark side of us)

So when I enter a restaurant and find no or a few Chinese or Asian customers, I know it is a wrong place...

Old 08-27-2009, 03:12 PM

Default east memphis, I believe it is on park avenue.

east memphis, I believe it is on park avenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Which Wang's did you go to?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:15 PM

You are right.
That's why I believe that the post 80s and 90s like me (haha) will change the image of China overseas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColliervilleMom View Post
hehe, my favorite is Pew Wei too.

But your mom is right, this is not Chinese food, there is no way they could stay so tiny! (sorry, that's a stereotype, isn't it?) We need someone to move here, open a restaurant and show us what it's really like!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:21 PM

To be honest, the foods offered in KFC and McDonald in China are much better than here.
They are tailored to satisfy our needs, Aha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
That's ok. To folks in China, American food is McDonald's and KFC, neither of which is a fair representation of good, traditional American food.

Fact is most of the Chinese restaurants in Memphis (and everywhere else in this part of the country) are owned and run by entrepreneurial Taiwanese immigrants. We don't have many mainland Chinese here; thus, we're largely missing the genuine Mandarin and Szechaun (and other regions) food experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis