Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 10:12 AM

21 posts, read 53,381 times

Advertisements

Hi have read some of the past reviews about the neighborhoods in Memphis however, they have been posted a few years ago so I know things have changed alittle. My husband and I are relocating to Memphis TN from Midland, TX with our three children 3, 10, 16. I'm more so concerned on crime and education. Can anyone give me any suggestions on neighborhoods, apartment home, duplexes and public or private schools near Nike Distribution or 20-25 minute commute. My best interest first is my kids and I want to make sure it's a safe and stable enviroment to live in. Most likely we would start out renting and eventually buy in a few years. Do Memphis TN have any magnet schools there??? Any information is great to have. Thanks.

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/memph...#ixzz0TMStOiSh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 11:31 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,623 times
Are you going to be at the new Nike facility on Frayser Rd.? If so, you may want to look at Bartlett. It is a suburb of Memphis that is very close to the new Nike plant. The area has good schools and affordable housing. Another area you may want to consider is Millington. It is a little further away and more rural, but it is nice as well. In that area of Memphis there are not many good Memphis City Schools so you would definitely want to be in a suburb like Bartlett or Millington. Other suburbs on the northern side of the county are Lakeland, and Arlington. These two are a little farther to the east so I am not sure if they would meet your commute criteria. They are also more expensive. If you are going to be at the Nike plant near Winchester and Forest Hill-Irene you may want to look at the suburbs of Germantown or Collierville. They are more upscale so this may be an issue if you have a limited housing budget. You may also be able to find something nice in the actual City of Memphis near the Winchester plant, but the school issue may push you more to a suburb unless you can afford private school.

Last edited by Tigertate; 10-08-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 03:08 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Memphis City schools (as opposed to county schools) calls their magnet program an "Optional Schools" program. Search keyword optional schools on the Memphis forum and you should find a lot of previous discussions.
MCS Optional School Program
Direct link to the website~ do your research if you consider an optional school, as they are not all created equal. Some are not so good while others are great.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:38 PM

21 posts, read 53,381 times
Thanks for the quick response....Is it two Nike plants there on Frayser and Winchester? The only one I know is in the Frayser area of Memphis a site known as Northridge. Can you provide me some good elementary and high schools names in the Bartlett and Millington area and/or maybe Collierville?

Old 10-08-2009, 07:46 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
If you are working on Winchester, I would reccomend living/schools in Collierville.

If you are working in Frayser, I would reccomend Tipton County...Brighton,Munford,Drummonds...

Old 10-09-2009, 10:45 AM

122 posts, read 441,935 times
Check Arlington, too. www.greatschools.net will give you ratings of all public schools in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis