Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 01:42 PM

738 posts, read 2,576,460 times

Advertisements

I'm about fed up with the unreliability I'm getting with AT&T DSL. Are there any options out there for high speed wireless internet in Memphis? Not interested in Comcast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 02:11 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,104 times
Is Charter in your area?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 PM

232 posts, read 988,789 times
I have AT&T DSL at work in Collierville and Comcast internet/digital cable at home. Comcast blows AT&T away. I have honestly had zero problems with Comcast in the last 2 years I have lived here, and one issue when I lived in Collierville and it was quickly resolved.

AT&T is terrible about calling my office and trying to 'upgrade' my DSL. I tell them "no" and then my bill is $65.00 more next month. Then I spend a half hour trying to get them to correct the bogus charge (they use a 3rd party to call/annoy me at work). Also with AT&T I have 3 phone lines and DSL, and my bill is $297.00 per month. I really don't need the 3rd line (it is a dedicated fax line) and I called to see about getting it removed. Long story short, 2 lines with DSL was going to cost $289.00 per month!!!! I can't stand AT&T. Sorry to rant, but Comcast for me.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:19 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,002,512 times
I've had Comast ever since it was first available here (as RoadRunner). Although their customer service is frustrating, I've only had to call them once in the last 5 years- and that was shortly after the switch from Time-Warner to Comcast. It's been very, very reliable in recent years.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:57 AM

70 posts, read 314,234 times
Cricket seems to be everywhere.

I don't know much of them, but they have the same technology as AT@T when it comes to the internet. Since they advertise as not doing contracts I guess that means you would not have a credit inquiry? And, that is good because a credit inquiry lowers your credit a wee bit.

Comcast is rather old school when it comes to the internet as well as cable, imho. And "the mess" with calling them about diddly quat, they have some of the worse customer service going.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbert_wormly View Post
And, that is good because a credit inquiry lowers your credit a wee bit.
Not true. Multiple inquiries over a short period of time from different types of creditors will lower your score, but not a single, occasional inquiry. Multiple inquiries in a short period from car dealers, for example, are supposed to be treated as a single inquiry for scoring purposes.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:57 AM

70 posts, read 314,234 times
Cool "My Parents Done Raised Me Wrong"

JoeCartpath are you serious?

Man, I was told wrong years ago, then.

I am terribly sorry for inadvertently misleading anyone.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:31 AM

738 posts, read 2,576,460 times
When I went to the Comcast website, it looks like I need to be a Comcast cable TV subscriber in order to get internet?! No way I'm giving up DirecTV.

Bowyer, I have combined billing with At&t home/wireless/internet. I pay $289 a month total for an iPhone, another cell phone-both with unlimited texing and 900 minutes family plan, a home phone with all calling features, unlimited long distance on the home phone, and DSL high speed internet". I think you're getting ripped off!

Great idea about Cricket, however, we have 2 iphones and 3 laptops that will need to access internet at home, and that is more of an individual card. I also think you have to have cricket wireless to get that.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:04 AM

You don't have to have cable TV to have Comcast internet service. I think they charge a little more..maybe $5 or so per month. One of my sons has internet and no cable TV through them....

Old 11-06-2009, 11:22 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColliervilleMom View Post
When I went to the Comcast website, it looks like I need to be a Comcast cable TV subscriber in order to get internet?! No way I'm giving up DirecTV.
I'm a DirecTV subscriber for TV and use Comcast internet. The base rate is about $40/month but last year I upgraded to Comcast Work At Home. Twice the speed for twice the price. Work reimburses me for most of it. Extremely reliable and fast most of the time.

What I don't like about it is the speed. Compared to what other cities get, we are getting the short end of the stick. Comcast in most large, east coast cities get 25mb downloads where I get 8mb and the average user gets 4mb. They pay the same $40/month that we pay for standard service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis