Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:20 PM

6 posts, read 17,546 times

Advertisements

We recently visited Memphis. Went to the Rendezvous on Friday night. We were approached by three thugs as we walked back to the parking structure to get our car. We waited by the lot guard. I was getting ready to call 911. They went up the elevator, I noticed that it stopped at each floor. I was not about to enter the elevator without other people with us. Thankfully more people came along, we all rode up in the elevator together. We ran to our car and got the heck out of there. As we were leaving we heard some car alarms going off.

A few months ago, my two nephews (one a former Marine) were mugged on Beale Street. One in the daylight, right on Beale Street. The other in a bathroom of a "well-known" establishment.

I guess Memphis, from what we experienced, deserves it ranking of one of the most dangerous cities in the US.

We will never return.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:16 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,930 times
Wow, sorry to here. First mistake you made was dining at the Rendevous.That place is nasty

I won't deny we have a major crime issue here, but in all my 45 years I have never expeirenced anything like what you have describe happening to you and yours

Sure you don't wanna give us 1 more chance

Old 02-11-2010, 03:37 PM

So, I take it you don't like the Rendezvous? Personally, I didn't enjoy it much. Sure did not like the dirty, dark alley you have to walk through to get to the restaurant. Evidently you know where the "safe" neighborhoods are. Seemed no matter where we went we were asked "why were you in that bad neighborhood".........even going to Graceland we were warned about that "bad neighborhood". A friend has to travel to Memphis regularly on business and he has said he never goes outside of the hotel at night. I'd only give it another chance if the police budget were more than doubled, so that there would be police presence. But, after seeing so many closed businesses and homes in major disrepair, it would be difficult to increase any public spending. We had wanted to experience Beale Street, but didn't want to take the risk.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:29 PM

165 posts, read 548,501 times
Graceland is in a not great area of town, but the actual grounds are fine. Rendezvous is one of those places that gets way more hype than it really deserves, and totally freaks out the tourists.

You WILL NOT GET MUGGED walking down Beale Street. It's not really that cool anyway, but you won't get mugged. You might get pan-handled, but not mugged.

I am a 5'4" caucasian female and I not only drive, but I WALK, around Memphis at night all the time (and during the day, but yeah). I live in Midtown, so it's pretty safe, but the areas to not be in are pretty obvious. Downtown is not dangerous. You're friend who won't leave his hotel at night is being irrational.

You should give Memphis another chance. It's a fun place.

Gotta go, I'm about to drive to South Memphis (Oh noes!) to pick up a package at the UPS place.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:23 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Camaro View Post
We recently visited Memphis. Went to the Rendezvous on Friday night. We were approached by three thugs as we walked back to the parking structure to get our car. We waited by the lot guard. I was getting ready to call 911. They went up the elevator, I noticed that it stopped at each floor. I was not about to enter the elevator without other people with us. Thankfully more people came along, we all rode up in the elevator together. We ran to our car and got the heck out of there. As we were leaving we heard some car alarms going off.

A few months ago, my two nephews (one a former Marine) were mugged on Beale Street. One in the daylight, right on Beale Street. The other in a bathroom of a "well-known" establishment.

I guess Memphis, from what we experienced, deserves it ranking of one of the most dangerous cities in the US.

We will never return.
i'm sure glad your nephew wasn't on duty for our country in iraq or afganastan, or we might have been in big trouble over there. the bathroom establishment could have been a foot playing incident, if you know what i mean. why not tell us the name of the establishment, and we can report it to management. that would help keep people that are "that a way", as they say around here, from bothering others.

if i were you and your nephews, i would skip nashville, too, if you are concerned about fbi rankings. it is #7 in 2009. it was #4 in 2008. it is always in the top 10 of the most violent cities, according to the fbi. the fbi, however, disclaims the disparity of its rankings because of the lack of standard reporting criteria throughout the nation. if anyone believes it is more dangerous to walk the streets of memphis vs harlem, south chicago, southeast detroit, etc., the individual probably deserves to be hit over the head w/ a bag of nickles and put on a little yellow school bus. by the way, forget knoxville, seems like your more likely to be bodily wounded by one of their school teachers than the average citizen. check the news today, then check the old tv footage of the trial involving the knoxville teacher, who set her husband up to murder her lover.

Last edited by kingchef; 02-11-2010 at 06:36 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 07:00 PM

369 posts, read 1,232,706 times
Seriously, go troll somewhere else. This is not a forum for bitching.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 PM

65 posts, read 131,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus10 View Post
Seriously, go troll somewhere else. This is not a forum for bitching.
I hate that I have to "spread some reputation around" before giving another positive rating to you or to kingchef.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:49 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeddd View Post
I hate that I have to "spread some reputation around" before giving another positive rating to you or to kingchef.
spread it this way if it will help

Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 PM

61 posts, read 206,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Camaro View Post

We will never return.
What does "approached by three thugs" mean? Did they speak, pull a weapon? Was it just 3 young people walking by? Did they go up the elevator to escape the lot guard? What time of day? Were they African American? Male? Was it just three young African Americans that walked past you on the way to the elevator in the parking garage to get in their vehicle?

I am not trying to be a jerk...but this sounds like a fairly generic incident that could have been an overreaction on your part. Memphis has a bad reputation, especially on this site, and maybe there was a heightened sense of caution by you after hearing or reading about how dangerous Memphis is. I have been to downtown Memphis countless times and have never felt unsafe. Sometimes I have been annoyed by panhandlers but never felt physically threatened. Actually, I have strolled Beale Street at many different times of the day and night, even with my children, and never bothered at all.

Thanks for visiting and hopefully you will come back and be a bit more relaxed on the next trip.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:17 AM

First off..........a knife was pulled on my nephew in the bathroom of the Beale Street bar. TWO against one, one having a knife......let's see how you would deal with it. AND, at least he's done something for our country. I could name the bar, it WAS reported to the "management" and police department!!! The mugging DID happen during the daylight on BEALE STREET. That, too, was reported to the police dept. As for our experience, the three thugs came out of a dark alley, two positioned themselves behind myself and grand-daughter, the other along side my husband. One of the thugs behind me kept looking backward over his shoulder, the other looking across the street. The one next to my husband was within inches from him. They went to SEPARATE floors in the parking structure, we waited long enough for them to have left HAD they gone to their car. I guess it's difficult to face reality.........Memphis is not safe. It's just a matter of time before the city rots because of the crime.........and, yes, that would be a shame. We visited Memphis years ago, the rate of deterioration was startling. Denying the reality of what has happened to Memphis will not help save Memphis!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis