Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:57 PM

6 posts, read 10,523 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
My husband and I, (and dog), could possibly be moving to Memphis this summer and we need advice!! We are interested in buying a house, max $200,000. We would like to be close to Uptown for work but prefer the suburbs. We are willing to commute up to 30 minutes. Here is some info on us that may help to determine what area would best suit us. We are in our late 20's and will hopefully be starting a family soon. We love the outdoors so parks and/or walking/hiking trails are a great bonus. My husband is into Karate and would love to continue to train. We both play softball, (he in a men's league, I in a women's league and we also play together in a mixed league). I love great food so having access to good restaurants is a plus. Obviously safety is an issue, we are not from a huge city so are accustomed to feeling safe in our neighbourhood day and night, we do know there are certain places you just shouldnt go, however, since we have never been to TN, we dont know where those places are. I have looked at the colour coded map and wow that confuses me even more. There are so many different areas ! Can someone please help us pick out what areas would be best suited to our needs?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 06:18 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
There've been several threads recently with the kind of information you're seeking.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 PM

122 posts, read 441,935 times
If you are planning on public school for your "soon to be" children and don't want to move later, look in Germantown or Collierville for schools. They are the best public schools in the area because they aren't inside Memphis city limits. Also, they are the safest areas to be in. I would also recommend Arlington, TN for the same reasons.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:42 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,623 times
For your price range you may also want to check out the Eastgate/ Sea Isle Park area. This location is in the City of Memphis, but it is very safe and stable. There is a large park right in the center of the neighborhood that is within walking distance. The public schools in the area are not as good as the suburban schools, but they are pretty good. The area is really pretty with streets lined with mature trees. This area is very centrally located. The commute to downtown would take 20-25 minutes on surface streets (Poplar, Park, or Quince), maybe 15-20 minutes on the interstate.

If you more of a suburban type you should be able to find something nice in your price range in Bartlett. The cost of living in the Memphis area is low, so 200K can probably get you something in any suburb, but you will get less for your money and have limited choices in Germantown and Collierville. The suburban commute to downtown from Collierville, Arlington, Lakeland, and Millington will probably take you at least 30 mins. Bartlett and Germantown will have the shortest commute times of all the suburban cities in Shelby County.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:09 AM

738 posts, read 2,576,460 times
You sound like a midtown family to me! Just plan on budgeting for private schools in the future, or move out to Germantown/Collierville when your kids are school age.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:25 PM

Wow,
Thanks everyone, I will look into those suggestions. I have been reading the similar threads but they left me with more questions. You have given me a great starting point now that I have suggestions based on our personalities and what we are looking for.

Does anyone know of any reputable karate clubs or of any softball leagues? Here in Ontario our city puts out a leisure guide every season with all the leagues and activities offered throughout the area. Is there something similar in Memphis?

Old 03-25-2010, 10:42 PM

80 posts, read 267,546 times
I also suggest you look into Germantown or Collierville as far as neighborhoods go. Home prices tend toward $200,000+ in Germantown, but there are some homes to be found below $200K. If you can find a nice deal you'll be thankful when it comes to schools, crime/safety, city services, shopping, etc. Collierville is also nice for the same reasons, just a bit further out east/southeast.

I know next to nothing about karate in the area, but here's a link to the "karate" I've heard about most in Memphis -- Kang Rhee -- Kang Rhee

I'm sure you'll be able to find a softball league easily around the area. Sorry I don't have any specific info...well, I googled this: City of Germantown : City Calendar : Adult Spring Softball League Registration

As for restaurants, well, one thing that is done darn right (maybe too well) around the Memphis area is food. As in, it's easy to add to the waistline around these parts. If you like barbecue, you'll be in heaven.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:51 PM

Thanks rockadoodle, I will definitely look into these links you posted. I cant wait to try the BBQ, I LOVE food and I love to cook so I am looking forward to expanding my grill skills. Sounds like I will have to take extra long walks to work off all that stick to your ribs goodness!

Old 04-03-2010, 08:04 PM

79 posts, read 422,964 times
I agree with the others in the thread. Sounds like you should look at Germantown or Collierville. I try to convince people to live in the city somewheres (there are plenty of great neighborhoods in Midtown and East Memphis), but if you like suburbia, then you would be happier outside the city limits.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:07 PM

Thanks again everyone, we will know in about a month if my husband gets the job. Although it is going to be very scary moving so far away from everyone and everything we know, I am looking forward to the adventure....and living somewhere where the winters dont last 7 months and it wont go to -30 degrees Celcius! (I guess I will also have to learn to convert to Fahrenheit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis