Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 07:58 PM

4 posts, read 16,610 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Memphis from Austin, TX suburbs. We have 2 sons, one in elementary and one in middle school. Looking for good family neighborhood with good schools, shopping, etc. Any suggestions for favorite elementary/middle schools - there are so many in Shelby Country district, it would be helpful to narrow down the choices. Thanks!

Old 08-05-2006, 07:35 AM

113 posts, read 529,940 times
I would say Collierville or Bartlett. You will probably be happy with those locations. You also may like Germantown. It really depends on what price range fits your budget. Let me know if you need any other help. Good Luck.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:49 PM

16 posts, read 89,032 times
Default Leaving Austin???

Austin, TX is my hometown. We have lived all over the US. We now live in Massachusetts. We just moved from Cordova, TN (right outside of Memphis). We lived there for almost 5 yrs. We really tried to make it work, because my husband and I really liked our jobs. But when my girls came home and started saying they didn't feel safe in thier schools we knew it was time to move. If it is not too late, reconsider your move.

Austin, TX while very hot and I know it has grown a lot is much better/safer place to live. If I had an opportunity to move back to Austin, I would do so in a heartbeat. While every city has it's problem areas, Austin is very defined. You just stay out of those areas. Memphis is very mixed. There are no "safe" areas. You can have $300,000 houses in a nice neighborhood, but two streets down you have projects and drug selling on the corner. The crime/schools is/are the worst I have ever seen. The racial lines are VERY visible, the politics are horrid. Please, please research before moving to Memphis. If the move is already scheduled then I recommend Germantown, Collierville or Arlington. Please feel free to email me if you have any other questions. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 PM

5 posts, read 18,390 times
Germantown, Collierville, and Arlington, though perhaps "safer" in general than most areas in the Memphis-area, do not quite have the personality that others do. Yes, Memphis has its problems--schools, local government, crime, racial tensions--but it is also a beautiful and colorful city that can be home. Look at some of the established areas in Midtown that have absolutely gorgeous homes and neighborhoods, and even East Memphis, with access to anywhere in the city and lots of interesting restaurants, boutiques, and decent schools. I went to public high school (White Station) and haven't received quite as good of an education since--and I am about to graduate law school. Visit the city often before you move and see where you feel comfortable. And yes, it is very possible to feel comfortable in Memphis.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:45 PM

16 posts, read 89,032 times
Default Our Memphis Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingallison View Post
Germantown, Collierville, and Arlington, though perhaps "safer" in general than most areas in the Memphis-area, do not quite have the personality that others do. Yes, Memphis has its problems--schools, local government, crime, racial tensions--but it is also a beautiful and colorful city that can be home. Look at some of the established areas in Midtown that have absolutely gorgeous homes and neighborhoods, and even East Memphis, with access to anywhere in the city and lots of interesting restaurants, boutiques, and decent schools. I went to public high school (White Station) and haven't received quite as good of an education since--and I am about to graduate law school. Visit the city often before you move and see where you feel comfortable. And yes, it is very possible to feel comfortable in Memphis.

I'm glad that you feel comfortable in Memphis, many do. And Memphis does have some positives: lots to do, the beautiful sunsets, nice climate. It just wasn't for us. We really tried to make it work there because we loved our jobs and because of the wonderful friends we had there. But after living all over the US, Memphis really had the worst school system we had ever seen. We did look at the Whitestation high school and it is a good school, but unless your kids are in all the advanced classes the other classes compare to the rest of the Memphis city schools. We have two girls, one is an honor student and would be in all the advanced classes, the other is an average student (which is fine by us) but she would not have qualifed to enter any of the advanced classes. The other major problem we encountered was the obvious racial tension. My family is a bi-racial family and my girls really experience a lot of racism. Crime is a whole other issue. Like I said we were there for almost 5 yrs and we REALLY tried to make it work, but after my girls said they didn't feel safe at their schools and the obsessive/compulsive behavior we were starting to see in regards to making sure all windows/doors were locked everynight we decided it was time to go.

Although I am originally from TX and lived there most of my life, would love to go back, my husband had an excellent job opportunity up North, so move we did. My family and I are much happier and just plain "feel safer". There are negatives here as well, very cold. But there are positives and negatives everywhere and while we know there aren't any completely crime free areas we gladly exchanged some snow on the ground and a quiet life for the crime-ridden streets of Memphis.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,878 times
Default move to memphis

Hey has everyone forgot about West Memphis ,ar this is a good place to live. I've been here since 97 raising 3 kids. This place has plenty of schools for each neighborhood so your kids wont be stuck in one big school.Its doesnt have any of the problems like Memphis(you'll get shoot in that place for being in the wrong place at the wrong time) for real.I only work in memphis but wouldnt live.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:17 AM

35 posts, read 100,988 times
tgreen0247, when you said West Memphis, it is in Arkansas, right? And you work in Memphis area?

I am moving to Memphis, so I would like to ask if you need to pay income tax since you work in TN and live in Arkansas. Is the cost of living different much (e.g., property tax and sale tax)

How about traffic commuting from West Memphis to Memphis (e.g., Downtown)?

Thanks in advance...

Old 07-08-2007, 05:52 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,339,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsk112 View Post
tgreen0247, when you said West Memphis, it is in Arkansas, right? And you work in Memphis area?

I am moving to Memphis, so I would like to ask if you need to pay income tax since you work in TN and live in Arkansas. Is the cost of living different much (e.g., property tax and sale tax)

How about traffic commuting from West Memphis to Memphis (e.g., Downtown)?

Thanks in advance...
Traffic is tough. There are only two arteries that cross the river (I-40 bridge and I-55 bridge).

Old 07-08-2007, 09:33 AM

232 posts, read 796,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreen0247 View Post
Hey has everyone forgot about West Memphis ,ar this is a good place to live. I've been here since 97 raising 3 kids. This place has plenty of schools for each neighborhood so your kids wont be stuck in one big school.Its doesnt have any of the problems like Memphis(you'll get shoot in that place for being in the wrong place at the wrong time) for real.I only work in memphis but wouldnt live.

There's a possibility of getting shot for "being in the wrong place at the wrong time" anywhere.

I've quoted this statistic a few times, but the MPD estimates that 95% of the violent crimes commited in Memphis, the victim knew the attacker. So before you go around thinking that Memphis is a haven for random crime, think again.

Actually, the last time I can remember someone getting shot for "being in the wrong place at the wrong time" was in W. Memphis.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:14 PM

201 posts, read 1,071,185 times
It seems West Memphis Police Officers have a triggery finger as well. I am pretty sure if you live in AR, you will have to pay state income tax. Those who live in MS and work in Memphis have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis