Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 05:21 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,522,557 times

Advertisements

I've gotten divorced, had 2 operations to see if I had cancer.
Lost my house in the divorce.
Lost my job during the divorce.
Moved and uprooted my children so I could have a decent job.
Paid $5K out of pocket to move.
In 6 weeks, the job was gone.
Got another job, got fired for political reasons.
Got pneumonia, had no insurance. Had thousands upon thousands in medical bills.
Have over 100K in debt now from medical expenses and not making enough in income, not frivolous spending.
Worked a job which had me traveling all over the state.
Got in an accident, not my fault, my car was completely totaled.
Developed stress anxiety.
Wound up with a job working with drama queens who gossip like it's a sport.
I will trade ya. I have no home.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:43 PM

110 posts, read 292,875 times
Thumbs up Panic Attack

My heart goes out to you young lady. If there is any consolation, you are not alone, as shown by these replys. I was finally diagnosed with PTSD in the early 80's. Probably had it all my life but it didn't rear its ugly head until mid-1970's. I had completed my military service, survived the Nam and was in graduuate school (which I dropped out of and never completed) In those days it was unmanly to admit you had a problem. Most guys my age drank or took drugs. I did neither; just sucked it up and paid the consequenses which as you know are severe. Ordinarly I wouldn't respond to your kind of posting but it sounds so painfull I can't help but express my views; your pain brakes my heart! Our kids are grown and I am contemplating a move south. I appreciate your situation. Aside from severe weather, the northeast is not too bad. Actually the weather here in central NY is worse than Vermont. I have a son who lives in southern California and he's a good guy but a little nutty. I think if you can survive in California, you will be fine here.The people are very nice. My best advice is to not fight your fears, flow with them and tell them to do their worst. Find an activity that will burn physical energy. You'll feel better. Take heart, you are not alone. E-mail me if there is anything I can do to ease your pain ... never give up. Regards, Loujr

Old 11-01-2007, 07:41 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,191,098 times
It's not a contest, nebulous1.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:09 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,495,248 times
Oh suzet I feel you , like you don't even know.. I've had anxiety my whole life..its come in soo many forms.. When I was a child I had anxiety about, get this, swallowing food.. I would get horrible panic attacks , I didn't have an image or weight problem or anything like that. Here's what happen. I was at lunch one day in 3rd grade and the kid across from me stuffed an entire bun in his mouth and began to choke.. I watched and they himlecked him and they got it out, but not before he turned an amazing shade of blue. It scared me to death. After that the though of me swallowing food and it getting stuck in my throat threw me into panic attacks. I became so bad I refused to even swallow my spit.. I would sleep with 3 or 4 pillows under my head casue I would get anxiety that I would choke in my sleep ... By 5th grade I weighed 60 some odd lbs.. barely.. My parents finally admitted me to the hospital and I was treated for the anxiety.. It was humilitating having to relearn to eat food in the 5th grade, on a diet of rice cereal and apple sauce.

Then in highschool my anxiety returned, but this time panic attacks. I would sit in class, convinced the oxygen must be getting sucked out of the room for me to not being able to breath, at least thats how i felt. I would shake, tap my legs really fast, jitter in my seat, and not be able to concentrate.. Thats the story of my life, as far as highschool..

It went away for a couple of years, then in 04 at 21 years old after I became sick they were the worst they've ever been.. Besides the heat of florida not helping my health was deteriorating rapidly. I was in the ER at least 5 times a week, I was passing out, not eating, I lived in my bedroom for 3 months.. I refused to leave except shower, bathroom and get food, which I bought back into my room. I literally did not go outside for 3 months. I lost my job, friend, even family. My husband became pissed to say the least and literally forced me to start coming out of the room, believe me I was hysterical, breaking out in hives, shaking, hyperventilating, screaming I was gonna call 911.. All this from panic attacks. I was on a constant panic attack , it never ever went away.. I had been prescribed xanax.. I was on a slow release tablet in the morning, then 4 more on top of that through the day.. I was chewing like candy and it had no effect on me whatso ever. Finally my husband would drag me out of the house. first I could only walk to the stairs and back, then down the stairs and back, the mail box and back etc.. That was months and months of doing that.. Every day he would make me walk there and back... He said he would refuse to be an enabler.. He literally saved my life. I had every plan of taking a bottle of pills or worse. I was depressed beyond belief, I lost 30lbs in 3 weeks. I cried 8 9 10 times a day. No reason. I was beyond hopeless. I still get that feeling now, being sick for 3 years will do that to you. I can't tell you it will ever go away. Cause it might not..I've learned over the past 3 years that the best policy is to just be honest. Doctors would try to sugar coat the issues with my health and in the end it just hurt me. You just have to believe they will not hurt you. Its hard, and it suxs and it doesn't always work. You can be medicated but that doesn't fix the problem it just covers the symptoms imo.. There are things like congnitive behavioral therapy that is suppose to be really good. And moving to Keene helped DRASTICALLY ..The heat is gone, the town is a very nice easy pace, not sloooooooooowwwwwwwwwww but easy and comfortable. The streets are clean, crime is low, and people pleasureable.. It all helps.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:41 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,849,116 times
I don't have anything to add, because previous posts said it all. Although what I do have to add is that YOU WILL GET THROUGH it. My husband had very bad panic attacks, like you do, and he got through it. Listen to the advice of previous posts...DON'T GIVE UP!!!YOU'LL BE FINE!!!DON'T GIVE UP!!!

Old 11-01-2007, 10:33 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,962,499 times
God, I forgot all about this post. Tara, thanks for reminding me that I started one here. I wish I could give everyone of you a hug, for all the kind words and for having to go through this awful life altering disorder!! I remember when I first had panic, no one knew what it was. I had every test under the sun done to me, and it always came back, I was fine. I hoped a test would come back negitive, so I wouldnt feel crazy. The people in my life have been both supportive and then pretty mean to me about the whole thing. My hubby, to this day still doesnt get it. He works out twice everyday, without fail. Looks amazing for 45. And then here is me, I have gained weight from all the different meds I have taken over the years, and yes from shoving an oreo or two in my mouth....I go to the track with him to walk, and I cry the whole time, and he just shakes his head..sigh. That really hurts. But in a way, I know that he cant really know what this is like. Until you have one, you just cant know. That is one of the reasons Tara for us moving to Keene, as you know. I need to get to a place that has calm, and no heat. Heat is a huge trigger for me!!!

I also have that throat choking thing. I clear my throat a lot to make sure it wont close up (silly I know), and always have a bottle of water with me, so I dont choke on food. My anxiety has gotten so bad again, I really dont leave my home, I have been just sitting here crying for 3 days. All I have to comfort me is my animals. I have lost most of my friends, at first they are all sympathetic, then they loose patience, then they are gone. One thing I have learned through this disorder, is how to treat people!! I would never treat people the way that I have been.

I am currently taking Klonopin and that is all. I was taking Zoloft, but it wasnt doing anything. I still panicked all the time. I have also tried effexor, paxil cr, celexa, lexapro, I think that is it. They all kinda run into each other. Some worked for a bit, but I still had major anxiety. When my family moves to Keene, my husband is going to take me to The Ross Center in Bethesda, Maryland. It is pretty expensive, but they have a great reputation, and a great track record. It is CBT on an intense level. They retrain your thought patterns. I really need that. To me, it is worth paying whatever we can to help me to feel better. Again, my heart saddens so much to hear all of your stories, I hate to hear of anyone suffering. I know there is always hope in life. That is all I really have right now. I want to send love and postive thoughts to all of you. Things will get better for us all. It just gets pretty hard at times I know. There are many times over the years when I was sure I was going to make it, but here I am. Hopefully about to start a new journey in my life. And Tara, thanks for being so nice to me. It really means a lot.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:50 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,414,703 times
Ok after reading some of you guys syptoms and complications,I must say my panic attacks or anxiety is mild compared,which I don't really have a problem now.But apricot juice does work,though maybe more for less severe stress.

I don't know what to say other than that I hope you continue to try and be strong,phobias,anxiety alot of times are baseless in real threat but I know it;s something that just takes over even when you know it shouldn't.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:36 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,163,326 times
I also suffered with anxiety/panic attacks for 5 years.
I won't get into why because it is still a very sensitive issue.
I have been free of panic attacks for almost a year now.
I had to remove myself from the situation and place that was causing the attacks.
I too, was on Klonapin (sp). One suggestion you may want to make to your doctor, is xanax.
When they changed me from Klonapin to xanax, I saw a tremendous change in myself.
It is an addicting drug, but you can maintain it. Just ask for the lowest possible dosage.
I still have a script I keep on hand, but it has been very rarely that I have needed them.
Once you remove the cause, you will find yourself not even thinking about the meds.

It will get better ! Stay strong !
If you need to talk, feel free to DM me.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:37 AM
tao

721 posts, read 3,191,098 times
I've been taking Xanax for my anxiety attacks but I only take it if I absolutely have to go out. I stay home all of the time because going out triggers my anxiety attacks more than anything else. But I'm exploring all avenues to try to overcome this. I'm trying other techniques such as meditation and massage and I'd like to try accupuncture. I'm even going to try hypnosis. My doctor wants to put me on antidepressants but I do not want that. I've been on that kind of medication before and it's not for me. I'm already having to take oxycodone and flexeril every day because of my herniated disc, I don't want any more medication than I'm already taking.

One thing that helps is now when I'm having an anxiety attack my husband knows what to say to try to calm me down - he tells me "it's not a heart attack, it's just an anxiety attack." I've been to the emergency room enough times thinking I was having a heart attack or a stroke to know that no matter how much it feels like a heart attack or stroke, it's actually a panic attack. But when I'm having one it feels so real I think to myself, "no, this time it really is a heart attack." Luckily I have my husband to help me and tell me otherwise.

So now I'm working on avoiding the triggers and getting control of myself. Like Suzet, the car thing is a huge issue. My biggest phobia is being in a car so that's why I'm trying the hypnosis thing. Hopefully it will help.

I've also been seeing a naturopath who's helping me come up with a program of proper diet as well as herbs and nutrients that my body needs. I had a hair analysis done and apparently my adrenals are shot, my thyroid is overworked, I'm anemic and I have a zinc deficiency. And the result of it is my body can't process sugar correctly. There was a lot more but it was technical and I can't really understand what it all means. But I think that was the basic gist of it. The naturopath has given me a daily regimen of vitamins and herbs to take. From what I understand sometimes part of the reason we can't cope with stress (and end up having an anxiety disorder) is because our systems are out of whack and we need a better diet and certain nutrients that we've been deficient in. I'm hoping the changes I'm making will help. For all my fellow panic attack sufferers I recommend getting a hair analysis done. Maybe a change in diet and the addition of certain vitamins, herbs and minerals will make a difference.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:24 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,542,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
... From what I understand sometimes part of the reason we can't cope with stress (and end up having an anxiety disorder) is because our systems are out of whack and we need a better diet and certain nutrients that we've been deficient in. I'm hoping the changes I'm making will help. For all my fellow panic attack sufferers I recommend getting a hair analysis done. Maybe a change in diet and the addition of certain vitamins, herbs and minerals will make a difference.
Thanks for sharing this tao.

I've only had very mild encounters with anxiety/panic attacks. For me, it's a matter of limiting sugar, caffeine & processed foods. Also, taking vitamins & minerals is a big plus. And plenty of exercise of course

lionking, I'm gonna try adding apricot juice to my diet too. Thanks!

Tara, I'm really impressed that you overcame a lot & made such a big move & now live a better quality life in Keene. Wow! My silly worries now seem to pale in comparison.

I found all the posts here helpful & appreciate the info., & wishing everyone to find relief from the struggles within our minds.

Suzet, hello again! Wishing you all the best on your new journey! I know this is a very serious issue, and I do know you have a great sense of humor. So have you ever seen the movie "What About Bob?" Laughter has also been my saving grace in many situations & I love this movie. It makes me laugh at myself...in a good way. It's suppose to take place in NH, but I just learned it was actually filmed in VA!! Info on the movie: What About Bob? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Throw caution to the wind & enjoy life! (yes, I'm really that cheesy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health