Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:11 PM

33 posts, read 132,194 times

Advertisements

I know a guy that used to smoke marijuana a few times a week and completely quit about 2 1/2 years ago. While some areas of his life has improved, he seems more stressed out than he used to. I think it's good that he quit the drug but could quitting smoking marijuana, after years of the quick immediate high, age a person in appearance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:20 PM

61,960 posts, read 87,594,180 times
All heavy smokers appear to have very wrinkled skin on the face. It looks like leather. You can almost spot a smoker just from the appearance. So, yes.... people with prematurely wrinkled skin looks older and the skin appear somehow unhealthy. However many people lose the bags under their eyes, and have a healthier skin tone after quitting.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:14 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,650,940 times
Well, seeing that he probably used MJ as a relaxant back then, it is quite normal to see him more stressed out as he lost his means of stress relief. So I would recommend that he find something else as a stress relief such as listening to music or an activity. Props to him for having a more healthier lifestyle though.

As for your question, smoking anything other than oxygen pretty much age you. Of course, you can continue to age after you quitted, depending on the removal lifespan of the substance within your body. Unfortunately, the body does not have a way to reverse that effect. But a person can prevent it from deteriorating even more and possibly heal a bit if they lived a healthy lifestyle.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:47 PM

30,910 posts, read 37,055,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome50 View Post
I know a guy that used to smoke marijuana a few times a week and completely quit about 2 1/2 years ago. While some areas of his life has improved, he seems more stressed out than he used to. I think it's good that he quit the drug but could quitting smoking marijuana, after years of the quick immediate high, age a person in appearance?
So it's not quitting pot that aged the guy. It's the fact that he hasn't found something else to relieve his stress (which is probably why he started smoking pot in the first place). Things like prayer, meditation, and exercise are good stress relievers as well as good for your health.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:55 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,869,538 times
Guided meditation and massage work wonders!

Old 11-18-2010, 01:04 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,551,817 times
Yes, it could definitely cause him to grow up.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:30 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,442,484 times
Smoking is harmful to health.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:53 AM

19,768 posts, read 20,340,042 times
I gotta say, I've heard all the claims that smoking ages you and gives you wrinkles, but I used to be a heavy smoker for a long time (both ciggs & herb) and people still think I look 10+yrs younger than I really am.

I think it's most certainly due to high stress levels and the way we do or do not manage them.

People can easily form unhealthy habits and addictions just trying to reduce stress (food, alcohol, smoke) so it's pretty important to make sure you are choosing a more healty outlet instead.

Smoking weed can be perfectly healthy for you as long as you are taking good care of yourself.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:49 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,661,723 times
Smoking marijuana a few times a week is not a heavy pot smoker. A heavy smoker would be someone who smokes several times a day, every day.

It sounds like this person was trying to de-stress. Stress can age you and cause illness. He needs to address the cause of his stress. Meditation, exercise, etc. is all good, but sometimes you need to take a good look at your life and make changes.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:18 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,844,260 times
Smoking *anything* is not "perfectly healthy for you." Intentionally inhaling smoke from burning objects into your lungs is not "perfectly healthy." Smoking a couple of joints on the weekend isn't likely to kill you, by itself, but if you really think it's "perfectly healthy" then you really should smoke it on the bridge I have for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health