Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,533,682 times

Advertisements

I should warn you that this is really disgusting.

Two mornings ago I had the most sickening nightmare ever. I was eating black spiders. I hate spiders as much as most people. And later in the dream, I started feeling disgusted and my mouth had pieces of black spider and I started spitting them out. Then I looked at my pillow and saw just a few light brown pieces of something else. Then the dream ended.

What could this mean? One thing is, I started eating oysters occasionally and I think about how some people think cold seafood is disgusting. Also, I've been having a problem with my neighbors making too much noise, and I'm always mad at them, but I'm too afraid to go and talk to them - could this be a cause of this nightmare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 03:18 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Yes I think you're right and the reason I think you're right is b/c we're usually better at our own dream interp than anyone else could be. So, going with your interp, let's see--you have negative feelings about the neighbors and you're basically holding them back, in essence, "eating your feelings." Usually dreams like this offer advice or have a moral, so it may be telling you that even though you're creeped out by talking to these people, you should go anyway. Or it could be telling you that it's unsafe--hard to say, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can kick in on this one. I doubt though that it has anything to do with the seafood b/c others might find it disgusting but you don't and this is about you.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:08 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,512,449 times
I know I will have a fleeting thought of something or someone, out of the blue, not give it any more thought, and then weeks later have a dream that involves that fleeting thought. So, have you thought of spiders, seen spiders, watched any movies or TV shows with spiders, killed a spider, etc, anytime in the last month to 6 weeks?

What meds are you taking and are strange dreams or nightmares one of the side-effects?

You are not alone, I have had some weird dreams in my life, too. Dreams that make you go "huh"? WTH(eck).

Old 08-29-2011, 01:02 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times
I took meds to quit smoking. I had the most odd and horrific nightmares. I dreamed I came home and found my husband cutting the heads off kittens. It wasn't bloody, it like he was just cutting off their heads off, like one would slice cake. I told my husband and he was like why in the world would you dream something like that?! Of course that made me feel even worse. lol. When I saw my dr. a week later she told me it was a side affect to the meds and took me off. I believe it was some variation of a anti-depressant. It was real popular at the time for quitting smoking. It took another week for me to not have the bizarre dreams. When I am stressed I dream weird stuff like my teeth falling out. I wake up feeling my teeth. Wheww. they are still there!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:34 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,435,653 times
It could be a side effect of medication, or your body is getting sick, like with a virus, or you are having stomach problems due to amount or quality of food. These will cause bad dreams.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:50 AM

139 posts, read 648,872 times
Dreams are the time when our brain sorts through everything we have seen, heard, touched, eaten or experienced throughout the day. The brain sifts through the data to make sense of all the stimuli we took it. The brain throws out what is not needed in long term memory and moves short term memories into long term memory. There is a lot of sorting and organizing going on. This is why dreams may not make sense to you, but to the brain they make perfect sense because it is sifting and sorting. The dreams are a way for the brain to sift, sort and figure out what to keep and what to toss.

It is normal to have strange, convoluted dreams. Most of us do not recall them as we wake to late to remember dreams. Consider yourself lucky to remember any dreams at all.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:00 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,771 times
I think that only you, by employing your own self awareness and intuition, can decipher your dream.
Due in part to our cultural mishmash "one size fits all" dream symbolism is a bit iffy.
Also, as i see it, more important than understanding the meaning of your dream is your capacity to clear the residue left by such a disturbing image and the feelings that it created.
You can doing this by using your imagination to visualize a healing solution.
Imagine, for example, that you are drinking a tall glass of beautiful liquid light (a clear white light or a color that is easy for you see with your inner eye) and as it enters your mouth the pieces of spider are effortlessly dissolved by the light.
Then you could visualize spitting the clear liquid light out onto the pillow and dissolving those other little brown pieces.
Then go put the pillow case in the washing machine so as to finalize the cleaning / clearing process and also as a way to symbolically clean your pillow for better dreams in the future.
Or you can use fire if that seems more effective than water / liquid.
Imagine yourself as a fire-eater (like the folks who "swallow" those rods of fire).
Instead of liquid light dissolving the spider pieces, they will be burned and transmuted in the fire.
Then blow that fire onto the little pieces on the pillow and burn / transmute them too.
Then imagine getting your fire extinguisher and putting the fire on your pillow out.
This may seem silly to you but the dream, no matter what it actually "means", is a manifestation of disturbance, fear, etc..
By doing the visualization (or something like it that you come up with if it works better for you) you'll be creatively working with and transforming the disturbance and fear and disgust that your dream expressed.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 AM

885 posts, read 1,522,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I think that only you, by employing your own self awareness and intuition, can decipher your dream.
Due in part to our cultural mishmash "one size fits all" dream symbolism is a bit iffy.
Also, as i see it, more important than understanding the meaning of your dream is your capacity to clear the residue left by such a disturbing image and the feelings that it created.
You can doing this by using your imagination to visualize a healing solution.
Imagine, for example, that you are drinking a tall glass of beautiful liquid light (a clear white light or a color that is easy for you see with your inner eye) and as it enters your mouth the pieces of spider are effortlessly dissolved by the light.
Then you could visualize spitting the clear liquid light out onto the pillow and dissolving those other little brown pieces.
Then go put the pillow case in the washing machine so as to finalize the cleaning / clearing process and also as a way to symbolically clean your pillow for better dreams in the future.
Or you can use fire if that seems more effective than water / liquid.
Imagine yourself as a fire-eater (like the folks who "swallow" those rods of fire).
Instead of liquid light dissolving the spider pieces, they will be burned and transmuted in the fire.
Then blow that fire onto the little pieces on the pillow and burn / transmute them too.
Then imagine getting your fire extinguisher and putting the fire on your pillow out.
This may seem silly to you but the dream, no matter what it actually "means", is a manifestation of disturbance, fear, etc..
By doing the visualization (or something like it that you come up with if it works better for you) you'll be creatively working with and transforming the disturbance and fear and disgust that your dream expressed.
!!! Beautiful advice !!! The imaginative tradition is as old as consciousness

Old 09-26-2011, 04:52 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,253,334 times
A couple of months ago I increased my Paxil dosage from 20mg to 40mg. I have nightmares every night now. I'm sure it's related to the increase of the medication. Similar experiences anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health