Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:17 AM

48 posts, read 64,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Life is NOT all about money and an interesting job now.

It's more about whether or not things will get better.

That's where the decision making statrts.
It's also about fitting in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 10:40 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,207,283 times
Quite a few people don't "fit in." Some learn to live within themselves and enjoy other things like books, music, sports, etc.. Others, keep looking for "something." They want to be part of the lives of others. Sometimes, that's not possible.

It solution is often, but not always, can the person improve the daily grind without the help of others?

Do they try to organize their lives around themselves?

Or do they expect others to make their lives more desirable?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:10 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,207,283 times
Let me add a bit to my last post.

I've been around a long, long time. I have known a zillion people. The most interesting ones are the ones that express themselves as individuals, not as part of the crowd. They don't "fit" the usual mold of what most people are.

I think that a lot of this goes back to how they were raised. If it was important to Mom and Dad to be just like everyone else, then, probably their children will be the same way. Wear the same clothes, listen to the right music, like the same movies, eat the same food. Pretend that the job is interesting. Blah, blah blah. If the parents saw the value of the individual, then the children most likely will do the same.

No, the job is probably not going to be interesting or rewarding. But it brings in a paycheck. No paycheck? Make the best of things until some else comes along. Try to look at yourself as an individual, not as a part of a group.

Things change as you get older. Different possibilities for the future. That's when being an individual becomes even more important. (And by being OLDER, I mean much more than 20 or 30. Even more than middle age.)

Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,801,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Life is NOT all about money and an interesting job now.

It's more about whether or not things will get better.

That's where the decision making statrts.
I agree. For me, its more about having a family of my own than a great job (I learned this too late). Since thats not an option and neither is a decent paying job, my conclusion is it will not get better, only worse. I don't want to be around for worse. 3 years of rejection and extreme depression is enough for me.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,308,592 times
Atlguy39....so young to want to give up......does the woman who left you really define all that you are??....how do you know that a week from today you'll not meet a loving woman who wants a family with you?.....if you would help at a homeless shelter/soup kitchen.....or give time to an elderly person who has no-one to help them get around, I can guarantee you would not feel or be rejected...only thanked and appreciated many times over....things CAN get better.....if you really want them to.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:44 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,308,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
I been alone, down trodden in life, abused and I thought bout it, I never thought things would turn around for me, and they did, but it was many years later...If I had done that, I would of missed out on my family, my little dogs too...I just think its such a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and money is not everything, some of the worlds richest people end their lives, its what you make of the money you do have, life is so much more than that, of course I guess if your set to do the final act, its your life, I just find it sad, cause I almost did that once, thankfully I did not have the nerve to go through with it, life has unexpected turns and twists, you never know what could happen for you...if you end it your never find out either.
great post WINDCHIMES......I'm glad for you!!!

Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,114,719 times
As far as taking my own life goes, I'll let nature and outside elements be the judge of that.
There's been times I've wanted to do myself in, but thought against it due to the negative effects that befall everyone else afterward.
Now, if I got cancer, got shot/stabbed/attacked by somebody else, or simply got lost in the woods, I just accept fate and pass slowly into the night.
At least in this way, no one can claim you took your own life.

But for now, I'm still here.
Best thing to do is make life as comfortable as you could make it and ride it into the ground.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:31 AM

130 posts, read 317,883 times
I just want this feeling to end. I want to peacefully fall asleep and have that be it. My Panic Disorder has come back and it is more then I can bear. I feel as though I am living in a nightmare, I feel like I'm grasping onto my sanity. I feel so distant from reality and my mind feels muddled. I'm tired and my stomach hurts and I force myself to eat. I've dropped to 99 lbs and I am so scared. I just want peace. I don't want to worry about if we will have a home or where we will live, I don't want to feel homesick anymore, I don't want to feel this pain. I am so scared, I don't want to be alone in myself anymore, I don't want this loneliness. I don't know what to do anymore, I just want to rest. I'm so scared.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,206,723 times
To Alyx-Vance,
Please pick up your phone and call your doctor, a friend, a relative, Suicide Prevention Hotline or 911. You may not realize it now but there are people who care about you and want you to live.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:48 AM

130 posts, read 317,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
To Alyx-Vance,
Please pick up your phone and call your doctor, a friend, a relative, Suicide Prevention Hotline or 911. You may not realize it now but there are people who care about you and want you to live.

You don't understand. Things are not so simple, things are not so black-and-white. You can glue a broken vase together, but it will still have cracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health