Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 04:14 AM

525 posts, read 1,555,603 times

Advertisements

At work co-workers tend to ignore me and barely make a conversation with me. While I've been there over 10yrs, it has finally gotten to me how I'm treated there to the point of breaking down and crying. I work in retail full-time. I'm currently seeing a counselor and taking citalophram.
Seeing co-workers having their own group of other co-workers to gossip with, joke around, I can't help feeling left out and jealous. I wondering if all that could be spilling into my personal life.
I try to make conversation, I barely say anything to others at work. Always been that way n now I wished I wasn't. I wished that I was much more outgoing and social.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
What does -any- of what you're talking about, have to do with getting disability for deafness?

Also, if you are in retail, then you're not deaf. You might be hearing impaired, which can be resolved with hearing aids.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:18 AM

663 posts, read 1,082,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm;
At work co-workers tend to ignore me and barely make a conversation with me. While I've been there over 10yrs, it has finally gotten to me how I'm treated there to the point of breaking down and crying. I work in retail full-time. I'm currently seeing a counselor and taking citalophram.
Seeing co-workers having their own group of other co-workers to gossip with, joke around, I can't help feeling left out and jealous. I wondering if all that could be spilling into my personal life.
I try to make conversation, I barely say anything to others at work. Always been that way n now I wished I wasn't. I wished that I was much more outgoing and social.
If you can work and support yourself then you shouldn't be on disability. Disability is for those with physical or mental impairments enough to render them unable to work. Please don't seek disability and take money that should go to others who are truly unable to work. It's wrong to try and get disability because you don't like going to work. If you have worked there FT for ten years, you have no business trying to get disability.

Your hearing impairment is not the difficulty you are experiencing, it is your lack of friends at work. This is NOT a disability of any sort. Why would you want to be friends with people who you claim have treated you badly all these years? Your priorities are screwed up. Work is for work, personal life is for friends. It's nice to have work friends but it's not the point of working. Your employer doesn't pay you to gossip.

Also, like the other poster mentioned, you are hearing impaired and not deaf. How else could you be working retail and interacting with customers? If your impairment isn't already being helped by hearing aids, you need to get them.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:56 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePugx3 View Post
If you can work and support yourself then you shouldn't be on disability. Disability is for those with physical or mental impairments enough to render them unable to work. Please don't seek disability and take money that should go to others who are truly unable to work. It's wrong to try and get disability because you don't like going to work. If you have worked there FT for ten years, you have no business trying to get disability.

Your hearing impairment is not the difficulty you are experiencing, it is your lack of friends at work. This is NOT a disability of any sort. Why would you want to be friends with people who you claim have treated you badly all these years? Your priorities are screwed up. Work is for work, personal life is for friends. It's nice to have work friends but it's not the point of working. Your employer doesn't pay you to gossip.

Also, like the other poster mentioned, you are hearing impaired and not deaf. How else could you be working retail and interacting with customers? If your impairment isn't already being helped by hearing aids, you need to get them.
Thank you. My father lost both his legs in WWII. He went to school after the war and became an engineer. He always worked. People who try to claim "disability" over nonsense royally **** me off.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you. My father lost both his legs in WWII. He went to school after the war and became an engineer. He always worked. People who try to claim "disability" over nonsense royally **** me off.
I know what you mean and it ticks me off too. People on disability generally do not make much either. The more "the system" has people on disability who shouldn't be (which is plenty, IMO), the less it is able to provide for those who actually need it.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:42 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePugx3 View Post
I know what you mean and it ticks me off too. People on disability generally do not make much either. The more "the system" has people on disability who shouldn't be (which is plenty, IMO), the less it is able to provide for those who actually need it.
I know (actually don't know--am acquainted with--neighbors of a friend of mine) this couple who are both on disability. They live in a nice bi-level house on a big lot in a nice middle-class neighborhood. Yes, I know that not all disabilities are visible, but hey. The woman gets up in the morning, gets her kids off to school, cleans her house from top to bottom then proceeds to start drinking until she's obliterated and totally passed out by 7 or 8 at night. The husband sits in his garage where he has four or five computers running. I suspect he's a hacker of some sort, but that's just my imagination. I don't really know that. As his wife starts to stagger and fall off the front porch, he takes over when the kids come home from school and makes sure they have their dinner and puts them to bed. He also keeps the yard looking nice. He seems to be stoned most of the time. Oh, and recently he was arrested for an old parole violation in another state and disappeared for a month, but he's back now.

I'm not seeing the disabilities here that warrant me paying via our government to support these people, especially since they are living better than I am.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know (actually don't know--am acquainted with--neighbors of a friend of mine) this couple who are both on disability. They live in a nice bi-level house on a big lot in a nice middle-class neighborhood. Yes, I know that not all disabilities are visible, but hey. The woman gets up in the morning, gets her kids off to school, cleans her house from top to bottom then proceeds to start drinking until she's obliterated and totally passed out by 7 or 8 at night. The husband sits in his garage where he has four or five computers running. I suspect he's a hacker of some sort, but that's just my imagination. I don't really know that. As his wife starts to stagger and fall off the front porch, he takes over when the kids come home from school and makes sure they have their dinner and puts them to bed. He also keeps the yard looking nice. He seems to be stoned most of the time. Oh, and recently he was arrested for an old parole violation in another state and disappeared for a month, but he's back now.

I'm not seeing the disabilities here that warrant me paying via our government to support these people, especially since they are living better than I am.
OMG....they sound like a couple of real winners . What an example they're setting for their kids .

Old 03-14-2012, 09:12 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
KatieCountrycm...you're definately not alone when you say that you wish you were something (outgoing and social) which you're not....but you do have a steady job...more than some have...and although you may be more quiet and shy because of your hearing loss, you're no less a person than the others....I think you need to believe more in yourself KatieCountrycm...embrace who you are..not who you aren't......the fact that you've held the same job for over 10 years proves that your hearing loss is not really a disability.....I hope that the meds you are now on can help you to feel better, and I truly wish you the best.....I knew someone who took citalophram, and it really did make a difference on their outlook in life...good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health