Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 06:50 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I do that, too, and I don't have ADD. I procrastinate all the time, and then I work well under pressure. Always have been that way.

I just get distracted easily.
Same here. My dad was the same way and I don't think he had ADD either--couldn't tell that either of my folks did but I see it in other relatives. But, my dad was the master procrastinator and he was an EE prof. I don't know that there's any way to fix this--some people say there is, but I'll get around to reading that book later, lol.

Interestingly, that is the one "symptom" of ADD that meds can't seem to fix at all. Meds might make us more organized and help us focus better and do better in social situations, but everyone I've talked to personally and on ADD forums has said that procrastination is still a huge problem and for the reasons you mentioned--we need the mental stimulation of working against a deadline. I've waited till the nth hour to write a paper and still have gotten an A on it, but how much better it would have been and how much prouder I'd have been if I'd actually taken my time with it! Yep, I'm procrastinating on doing taxes right now! And I don't even think they'll be that difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 06:59 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I don't have any listening problems. I have hearing problems. I have nerve damage in both ears, my right more profoundly than the left. It's progressive, eventually I'll be completely deaf at least in my right ear, if not both. After 40 years of worsened hearing, I finally broke down and got hearing aids around 2 years ago. Huge help, I can hear things more crisply now. But I'm so used to not hearing, that the crispness is irritating so I usually don't wear them except to watch TV

Old 04-06-2012, 07:03 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What is interesting about ADD is the tendency to procrastinate, and then really get it together at crunch time. I have been amazed at what I can whip out in an hour, and wonder why I could have accomplished if I had really been able to focus...
Quoted for truth. My trigger to stop procrastinating is hormonal. I'll leave the house undusted, unvacuumed, unswept - and then PMS rears its ugly head and I go on a cleaning rampage for 2 hours and BOOM - house is CLEAN.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Quoted for truth. My trigger to stop procrastinating is hormonal. I'll leave the house undusted, unvacuumed, unswept - and then PMS rears its ugly head and I go on a cleaning rampage for 2 hours and BOOM - house is CLEAN.
Yeah, same here but only if it's an angry PMS, since I swing between angry ones and depressed ones. So, house clean every other month, lol.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:04 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I never have a "cleaning rampage". I dwadle, procrastinate, really hate boring tasks like cleaning and organizing. I lack that skill. But, I now live my life to that "disability". Have less stuff, and never let things get dirty.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I never have a "cleaning rampage". I dwadle, procrastinate, really hate boring tasks like cleaning and organizing. I lack that skill. But, I now live my life to that "disability". Have less stuff, and never let things get dirty.
Well that's smart, and you've figured out a set of techniques for living with it. I've got to say though that I do like cleaning stuff sometimes, but it's only fun if it's dirty. The thing that's amusing to me is that I probably enjoy housework more than people who are good at it, but I always get distracted about halfway through and start to do something else. Like with the way I procrastinate, there's always something to do--maybe that's why I do it--so there will always be something on the backburner that I should be doing. But! if I hadn't been procrastinating all week I could have spent my day hiking on this pretty pretty day--instead I stayed home and cleaned some and organized paperwork and did taxes. Lightbulb moment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health