Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 PM

42 posts, read 167,877 times

Advertisements

I just started taking Lexapro 4 days ago to help fight pretty severe depression that I've had for years. I'm currently seeing a psychologist, but my medical doctor is the one who prescribed the lexapro.

The last few days, I've been having some weird thoughts. Like driving my car as fast as it will go into a light pole to die, researching pistols online and running red lights.

I'm not sure what to make of this. I talked to the nurse at my doctors office and she said that things will gets worse for 2 weeks, including suicidal thoughts. Maybe it's normal for them, but it's pretty disconcerting to me.

What do you think? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 02:35 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
I'm surprised (well not really) that the nurse poo-pooed that side effect. That seems extremely irresponsible! I would talk with your psychologist about this asap.

There are a number of less common but more serious side effects of Lexapro that you should report to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:

• Suicidal thoughts or behavior (see Lexapro and Suicide)
  • Anxiety, agitation, or panic attacks
  • Hostility or aggressiveness
  • Engaging in unusual or dangerous activities
  • Restlessness or an inability to sit still
  • Extreme elation, or a feeling of happiness that may switch back and forth with a depressed or sad mood
  • Other unusual changes in behavior
  • Signs of serotonin syndrome (a rare but dangerous problem associated with certain medications), such as:

Old 04-23-2012, 02:47 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by made-a-mistake View Post
I just started taking Lexapro 4 days ago to help fight pretty severe depression that I've had for years. I'm currently seeing a psychologist, but my medical doctor is the one who prescribed the lexapro.

The last few days, I've been having some weird thoughts. Like driving my car as fast as it will go into a light pole to die, researching pistols online and running red lights.

I'm not sure what to make of this. I talked to the nurse at my doctors office and she said that things will gets worse for 2 weeks, including suicidal thoughts. Maybe it's normal for them, but it's pretty disconcerting to me.

What do you think? Thanks!
I would talk to your Doctor about this, don't settle for the nurse's opinion. Of course she doesn't have to deal with the feelings, so its one of those non issues to her. I've had meds make my thoughts worse too and I stopped taking the medicine. Though Doc's may want their patients to give the new antidepressant a good try, some people just can't do it with certain medicines. I'm sure your Doc would tell you to stop taking it. Please call your Doctor about this problem right away. Hope you can find something else that will help.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:11 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
I agree with the previous posts. Whether it is the Lexapro or not, your "weird" thoughts need to be addressed immediately.

I will, respectfully, suggest that you consult a psychiatrist or a psychopharmacologist instead of your medical doctor. Someone who is well versed in the use of psychiatric meds.
Good luck and stay safe.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 PM

42 posts, read 167,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
I agree with the previous posts. Whether it is the Lexapro or not, your "weird" thoughts need to be addressed immediately.

I will, respectfully, suggest that you consult a psychiatrist or a psychopharmacologist instead of your medical doctor. Someone who is well versed in the use of psychiatric meds.
Good luck and stay safe.
I already see a psychologist, but he doesn't know yet that I'm on this med. I'm shaky, sweaty, jittery and feeling really weird. Apprarently this is "normal". If I tell someone I'm having suicidal thoughts, I suppose I'll be in the ER in no time. And I'd rather see if this is a side effect that will go away, before I get taken out of my life--if that makes sense.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:20 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by made-a-mistake View Post
I already see a psychologist, but he doesn't know yet that I'm on this med. I'm shaky, sweaty, jittery and feeling really weird. Apprarently this is "normal". If I tell someone I'm having suicidal thoughts, I suppose I'll be in the ER in no time. And I'd rather see if this is a side effect that will go away, before I get taken out of my life--if that makes sense.
That makes absolute sense to me.
But you will not necessarily end up in the ER. Ask your GP to refer you to a psychiatrist.

A psychologist is good but they can not prescribe meds, there is a reason for that.

Having suicidal thoughts and behaviours and feeling jittery, sweaty, shaky and weird is not normal and may well be dangerous.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:33 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
That makes absolute sense to me.
But you will not necessarily end up in the ER. Ask your GP to refer you to a psychiatrist.

A psychologist is good but they can not prescribe meds, there is a reason for that.

Having suicidal thoughts and behaviours and feeling jittery, sweaty, shaky and weird is not normal and may well be dangerous.
I agree with this. Not every medication works well with certain people. I strongly urge you to contact your Dr. first and at the same time set up an appointment with a psychiatrist. I say contact your Dr first only because I think it's quicker and it could take some time to get in to see a p-doc. My former GP would not even go near prescribing psychotropic drugs.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:33 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
"It gets worse for two weeks" might refer to a sedating effect while going up on doses of a new anti-depressant. It should *not* include all the things the OP mentioned. A new onset of genuinely suicidal and "weird" thoughts is unacceptable, not "wait two weeks."
There is some idea that as one's depression lifts a bit (but you are still depressed) that you now have more energy and might be more able to act on a suicidal impulse or plan.
I concur that the reactions the OP is having are dangerous, not normal, and that nurse should have his/hr license pulled.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 23,621 times
I have been on Lexapro for nearly 5 months taking 5 mg. I felt the effect the first day. It nearly took away all my panic anxiety, and lifted my spirits. I've read again and again you will feel higher highs in the beginning which I did and anxiety at night (side effects), which I did, and they did go away.

Two weeks ago I slightly raised the dose as I felt slightly anxious again. I tried a couple Anti-Depressants 10 years ago, and it was not fun, so nothing since then. Since slightly raising the dose on the Lexapro, (not even to 7.5), I have had suicidal thoughts, even looked up ways to do it... This is not an acceptable side effect obviously. I lowered it today back to 5 mg, and I already feel better. I respond to drugs very quickly.

In the beginning I actually had great wish dreams, but then I began and still have some very vivid weird dreams here and there. From the beginning my motivation and desire to do things was dramatically affected, but at 5 mg, I can push through it and do what I need to do. I can handle that.

I had high panic/anxiety and that has been nearly wiped out. I noticed bruising easier, rashes just started, a hive or two a day just started, heat behind my neck very rarely, and at the beginning restless leg syndrome which stopped. I have shoulder pain rarely, memory loss, and weight gain which I'm unhappy about, but feeling no panic anxiety-- I can handle a couple extra sizes if it doesn't get out of hand.

My hair also seems thinner, but so far not unbearable-- I have enough hair so I feel in the norm. As long as I'm feeling okay at 5 mg, I'll stay on it, but if the depression continues I will stop it obviously. It has been amazing until now, except for decreasing my motivation, that is hard to deal with-- it's a trade off. I'll take less motivation that I can push through over the panic / anxiety I had before.

After half a week of taking this I read a page that had a long list of side effects. I was worried so I tried to cut back to 2.5. I felt so bad, I took another 2.5 and stayed on it. 10 years ago when I tried antidepressants I was able to get off of them even though it was difficult. For me Lexapro is a tough one if you want to get off it.

I also take progesterone, and restoril to sleep, so I think that may affect depression combined with Lexapro, and my needing to stay at a low dose. I hope it keeps working. I don't mind the side effects, if there is no depression caused by this drug because it has wiped out my panic/anxiety unlike anything I've used-- I tried about 4 others 10 years ago. To be relieved of panic anxiety, and to feel slightly less depressed is worth the trade off as long as this sudden depression stops since I'm lowering back to 5mg.

This is just my experience-- it works for some, for others it doesn't. I'm still waiting to see how I feel back at 5mg everyday. Today, so far, so good.

My emotions seem flatter, and my anxiety is so low that I often don't want to do the normal things I used to do. That is something you should know-- you need to push to do things, but one day I made up my mind to push to do things, and I was shocked I could push through it. It does affect most people's motivation from what I've read, but it's a trade off. At first I was sleeping more and now I am not. I hope this helps others. I was grateful to find this page.

Last edited by Claire3; 05-19-2013 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Add info I left out to make it clearer, and additional info that may help someone.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
You need to go see a psychiatrist as it's obvious your GP and their staff are not competent to deal with this.

I am not saying you have Bipolar, I know a couple of people that do, if you give anti depressants to a BP person it can very often make them manic which can make them violent, suicidal and both at the same time.

Brain chemistry is a unique thing. What works for one can be horrible for another. I am sorry but the truth is psychiatry is all trial and error. The person I am close with that has BP1 was on 8 meds before they got the person stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health